XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jun 21, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #3,451 of 5,194
OK, I have to say I'm very confused. I had a Xduoo x3 and a xuelin 770c both great daps with different firmware issues. I had rockboxed it both and in the two cases have the same problem: the SQ goes down clearly and have a great hiss on the background. I had read carefully the two threads about this two players and nobody but three people seems to notice that issue on rockbox version which is very noticeable because the most of the people here is looking for sound excellence and with rockbox you loose it at all (it down sample the hi res files!). Finally I had back to the stock firmwares in the two cases and for the pitch issue I'm converting files in order to find the best format to avoid it because I don't want to have a rockboxed x3 sounding as bad as my old cowon d20.

Is this true? We need more people talking about this. Cause if it is, many people, myself included, may opt not to buy it.

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #3,452 of 5,194
I don't have any issue with Hiss after rockboxing my X3. maybe that's due to my using Westone UM30 Pro's? Not sure.
As for the downsampling, I'm mostly playing ALAC and Apple Lossless format so again it's not an issue with me.
I have a few FLACs and to be truthful, no matter what I play them on I really don't hear much of a difference (63 year old ears?)

All in all I have to agree with Dexter22, I'm pretty happy with the X3, I'd love for Xduoo to fix the pitch issue but I'm happy to
live with the Rockbox version. As I've said before for less than $100 the X3 can't be beat. Look at the AK Jr. thread, lots of UI issues and
AK has stated they are not going to fix them, but concentrate on the multi thousand dollar players.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #3,453 of 5,194
Anybody getting crashes with rock box ? I get the "panic dircache" something a lot. This happens when I switch it on. It reboots and starts normally then. Sometimes it reboots 2-3 times. I reinstalled to rockbox, and now I get this issue less, but still it appears once in a while. I have 2 - 64gb cards installed . (80 percent used on both cards) also, the issue happens me when I reach the end of playlist sometimes

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #3,454 of 5,194
The only time I got the Panic dircache error was when my micro SD card wasn't fully seated. It seems to me that the issue may not be Rockbox or the X3 but maybe your SD card? if you swap out cards do you get the same error?

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,455 of 5,194
  The only time I got the Panic dircache error was when my micro SD card wasn't fully seated. It seems to me that the issue may not be Rockbox or the X3 but maybe your SD card? if you swap out cards do you get the same error?

I am not getting no errors or anything on the stock. Also, Like i mentioned some posts back, battery drain issue is back again(only with Rockbox). I listened to 1 hour, and its 25 percent down from full. Switching to stock battery is draining fast. Last time, I verfied if there was a problem with battery. And on stock I got 8 hours again. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3,456 of 5,194
hmmm, did you have any issues with the rockbox install? Is there a possiblity that something didn't install correctly?
I don't recall seeing anyone else discussing rapid battery usage when running Rockbox (I'm getting at least 9 hours, haven't really timed it).
Is it possible it's a problem with display of the 'bars' and % battery? if you start from fully charged and played constantly how much time do you actually get (as opposed to what the display says) ?
Wonder if you'd have same issues if you uninstalled Rockbox and reinstalled it....

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #3,457 of 5,194
  I am not getting no errors or anything on the stock. Also, Like i mentioned some posts back, battery drain issue is back again(only with Rockbox). I listened to 1 hour, and its 25 percent down from full. Switching to stock battery is draining fast. Last time, I verfied if there was a problem with battery. And on stock I got 8 hours again. 

Hi there, I've recently bought the X3 (coming from an iPod 6.5th gen, 160gb) and I have the same battery drain listening music with rockbox. I have reinstalled it at least two times, following the guide step by step, no error at all, but nothing has changed.
Plus, with the original firmware I have the problem with the update of the library: I have about 23K songs but when the update reaches 21K it suddenly stops and not all the songs are added in the library. So frustrating! Any help?

Sorry for my bad english!

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #3,458 of 5,194

You do of course understand that Rockboxing the X3 completely eliminates the pitch issue, right?

Yes I understand but I have heard from some that after rockboxing the battery drains faster.   It isn't just the pitch issue that holds me back, the battery life is pathetic and needs to improve before I would consider it.  I live in Canada so I can't try it before I buy it and I have to import it.  I am very wary of importing a product the manufacturer seems to be abandoning and that needs a third party solution to make fully functional.

I would rather wait a few months and see what the +plus has to offer before I decide what to do.   According to James@Fiio they are devoting alot of time to the X series right now and are developing the X1 Series 2 as I post this.  So I will wait and take a look at the X3+plus and the Fiio X1 II. Hopefully Fiio will provide some details on what lies ahead for the X3 and X5 which could be really interesting after seeing what they did with the X7.  I can buy and service Fiio products locally so the Xduoo X3+plus will need to be something special to get me to pull the trigger.  I am also considering the iBasso DX80 which I can also get locally if my finances allow.  So Xduoo isn't the only game in town for me

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #3,459 of 5,194
My experience hasn't shown the Rockboxed X3 draining faster than the stock setup.  The opposite has been true for me.  I get 10.5 hours with RB and 10 with OEM firmware.

I don't recall posts contending the RBed X3 has poor battery life in either of the xDuoo X3 threads here.  Where are you getting that from?

I do understand your reservations about xDuoo leaving the faulty firmware uncorrected.  That "frosts" me no end as well.  This despite being content with XVortex's X3 port.

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #3,460 of 5,194
  My experience hasn't shown the Rockboxed X3 draining faster than the stock setup.  The opposite has been true for me.  I get 10.5 hours with RB and 10 with OEM firmware.

I don't recall posts contending the RBed X3 has poor battery life in either of the xDuoo X3 threads here.  Where are you getting that from?

I do understand your reservations about xDuoo leaving the faulty firmware uncorrected.  That "frosts" me no end as well.  This despite being content with XVortex's X3 port.

I had posted the pictures in page '226' (I am not able to quote it here). I was thinking it was my battery which was faulty. But recently discovered that , I get the issue consistently only on Rockbox,See the pictures,(time vs battery percentage.. on continous skipping) .

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #3,462 of 5,194
Yeah, on continuos skipping, the battery drains very fast.
Maybe a battery bench from rockbox could help?

But if you look at my pictures, at any skipping rate. its insanely fast. I cannot add a video to show how fast it finished while playing music without skipping. But it never lasted more than 4 hours from 100 to 0. I am not happy with this behaviour, as I travel twice a month, on a train for 8 hours 2 times atleast. And when I connect my Anker power bank, Rockbox detects it as a PC, and wont let me use it. However on switching back to stock I can charge and listen. But I immediately notice the pitch thing.. and the annoying non-gapless-playback is horrible, clipping off every 2 seconds of the songs. (I rely on my iphone, which cannot drive my Beoplay H6 will half of my journey,)....... Something must be terribly wrong with my installation, as while some song is being played, if i navigate to another folder and start with a new song, it takes almost 3 seconds to respond to that. It will be frozen for 3 seconds and starts playing. And I see that small processor kinda icon which is there in the pics flashing every now and then. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #3,463 of 5,194
  But if you look at my pictures, at any skipping rate. its insanely fast. I cannot add a video to show how fast it finished while playing music without skipping. But it never lasted more than 4 hours from 100 to 0. I am not happy with this behaviour, as I travel twice a month, on a train for 8 hours 2 times atleast. And when I connect my Anker power bank, Rockbox detects it as a PC, and wont let me use it. However on switching back to stock I can charge and listen. But I immediately notice the pitch thing.. and the annoying non-gapless-playback is horrible, clipping off every 2 seconds of the songs. (I rely on my iphone, which cannot drive my Beoplay H6 will half of my journey,)....... Something must be terribly wrong with my installation, as while some song is being played, if i navigate to another folder and start with a new song, it takes almost 3 seconds to respond to that. It will be frozen for 3 seconds and starts playing. And I see that small processor kinda icon which is there in the pics flashing every now and then. 

I think the lag in the navigation exist because you have a lot of songs maybe? 'Cause it happens sometimes to me too (I have about 23k songs), but nothing tragic, I have just to wait some more seconds, then it goes. Maybe it takes more time beacause it has to build the dynamic playlist?
Anyway yeah, I understand the feeling about the battery drain. I'll provide some bench, maybe I hope tonight
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Started the bench, it will be on a countinuos playing of all my database. Hoping to post it today!

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #3,464 of 5,194
  I think the lag in the navigation exist because you have a lot of songs maybe? 'Cause it happens sometimes to me too (I have about 23k songs), but nothing tragic, I have just to wait some more seconds, then it goes. Maybe it takes more time beacause it has to build the dynamic playlist?
Anyway yeah, I understand the feeling about the battery drain. I'll provide some bench, maybe I hope tonight
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Started the bench, it will be on a countinuos playing of all my database. Hoping to post it today!

Large number of songs can be a culprit, but I am only playing from folders. Will it still create a dynamic playlist? I have all FLAC 's into one folder, but lots of MP3 as well. Anyway I will format it once again. Because I got the 'panic cache' thing multiple times yesterday. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #3,465 of 5,194
  Will it still create a dynamic playlist?

I think so.

I got the 'panic cache' thing multiple times yesterday. 

The only time I had the same error was everytime I tried to did things (starting playing music, browsing into foders or settings) before the processor icon was completely gone. So I think you have to leave it for some second, the time that the icon go away, and then you can do almost everything. Doing so, I never had again the panic cache error. I think it can be due to the low ram memory of the dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back