XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
May 17, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #3,257 of 5,194
how does the xduoo stacj up against the A25 ?

Uhm, the A25 gives enough power in both term of loudness and usage time to me. However, the feelings are congested and artificial, i cant say it's bad. With and without Clearaudio+ makes a big difference, sometimes i like it so much, other i don't so i would say that Sony did a great job. A25 is a great little device but if you really into the detail and need the feelings out of the songs, there is no way A25 can meet the X3. 
Also, as my personal experiences, the lay out button on X3 is weird but it turns out to be very reasonable to control inside your pocket. I mean, they are different positions so you take only 5-15 minutes to learn where they supposed to be. I hate the pad layout on A25 ( main reason why i sold it)

May 17, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #3,258 of 5,194
OK guys, so it's settled that the NEW xDuoo X3 has 2000mah battery. 

Can someone please tell me what budget amp should i get to stack with it? I run out of budget but here are some suggestion along with the prices in the local store:
Topping Nx1: 50$
Topping Nx2: 65$
Xduoo XQ10: 38$
Fiio E6: 32$
Fiio K1: 47$
Fiio A1:32$

My gears are ATH-M50x, ATH CKX5, V-Moda M80.  Anyone tried to stack this xDuoo X3 with any of them above? How was the result and did the battery improve?

May 17, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #3,259 of 5,194

Can someone please tell me what budget amp should i get to stack with it? I run out of budget but here are some suggestion along with the prices in the local store:

My gears are ATH-M50x, ATH CKX5, V-Moda M80.  Anyone tried to stack this xDuoo X3 with any of them above? How was the result and did the battery improve?

I have the Topping NX2 and it's a great little AMP and can boost my Soundmagic HP150s very nice. The NX2 opened them up beautifully and improved the soundstage and resolution. One problem with an AMP is the Xduoo X3 is obviously very thin so a lot of AMPs will be much wider, so you may wish to consider something smaller. I'm pretty sure Fiio have quite a small amp?!? Could be wrong though.

May 17, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #3,260 of 5,194

Fiio K1: 47$
Fiio A1:32$

I also feel the Rockbox UI improved the headphone AMP output very nicely, and i haven't used an AMP since.

May 17, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #3,262 of 5,194
My personal experience with Chinese batteries and battery packs, is that the milliamp hours figures printed on the sides are always heftily inflated.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the 'new' 2000mAh packs in the new X3s are identical to the 'old' 1500mAh packs. It seems as if the law in China, about such claims, is quite different from what I'm used to in the UK.

Having said that, Duracell 2300mAh batteries are well short of that, in my reality.

There is something of the  "No 11"  ( as in the movie Spinal Tap ) about rechargable battery manufacturing claims.

I'm not using my X3 much, as a portable. The battery life is not sufficient to inspire descision making confidence when preparing to leave the house. What I do use it for, more and more, is as a way to get DSD files playing through my non-pro studio monitoring setup. It's a great sounding setup and I can really get a good feel for how well a particular source is delivering, and, of course, how well the media is sounding. I use a Sony D100 portable recorder, which can record in DSF format. I can convert those files to DFF format using Korg's Audiogate software. Not ideal, but it gets me there. I'm slightly infatuated with DSD audio, it's got something special about it, to my ears. The big downer, though, is that DSD editing software is rediculously expensive, I mean thousands!, and there's not even a lot of it about, even if I were an Oil Prince.

As a source, the X3 is not "Great", I've got better sounding analog sources. It's pretty damn good, though, and certainly good enough to get on with some proper grownup audio work, using digital files. The simplistic interface, in XDuoo's own OS, is ideal for handling just a few high quality files. I've not yet actually done a check, but the DSD mode seems to be running at the right speed, to my ears.

I have Rockbox installed, as an option, too. I'm curious to know how many different formats of sound 'modules' Rockbox can play. I have thousands of them, and a short list of favourites. They are in several different formats, MOD, S3M, XM etc.

I'm an old geezer-ish, and have come to digital audio after a very long run with older analog technology. I record a lot of stuff. Nature recording out in the woods, my own attempts at making music and more recently, recording samples of my own 'musical' sounds for working up into complex mixes on the computer using a great old program called nTrack Studio v3. 

Last year, I experimented making several different flavors of Psybient music mixes. This year, I'm going right back to my own basics and making fresh original material to work with [ I think I can feel an Album, coming on :) ]

I like the quirky ways of working on stuff. Filling a folder on an X3 and plugging it into a processing chain of analog gear and recording the results, is my delight, and keeps me away from the dreaded DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation ) grindstone and mind masher.

I little off topic, maybe, but that's a glimps into my X3 world, as it is right now.

May 17, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #3,263 of 5,194
Yah, the E6 is pretty much very portable but investing in a NX2 can help to play around with my phone if the player is out of juice :)))
The point is NX2's power is kinda pretty weak ( perhaps that's how it gets up to 80 of hours?)
Found the Xduoo has Xq-10, which is pretty cheap and good looking too. Waiting for someone to come up and try :)))

May 17, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #3,264 of 5,194
Well, i have been followed it for a while and i found that owners from begin of 2016 enjoy more playing time compare to before. Thus, i did a research and found out that they replaced with a 2000mah version. 
I know numbers are just numbers, but the fact that it can last for longer than 9h is already means an improvement to me :3

May 17, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #3,265 of 5,194
  I also feel the Rockbox UI improved the headphone AMP output very nicely, and i haven't used an AMP since.

Wow, thats something new. I never heard anything so far..  I thought the amp again switch is set to high on Rockbox all the time. Am I missing something here.? My current headphones are really power hungry (B & O H6 V1) and I didn't feel there is some extra power coming out of X3 with Rockbox which made it easier to drive. But its a fact that Xduoo's stock amp must be power ful than many cheap amps. But with FiiO E12 there was a good improvement. I guess anything from the same league only would make an improvement. I would not bother to add another brick tied to the Xduoo which doesnt do anything much other than killing the convienience. But, one thing I noticed was : the E12 using the L17 cable was not having a quiet background as the stock amp. Some kind of hiss(?!), Anyway, I sold my E12 recently as I was not able to keep both the devices in my pocket as summer is here, and I dont want to wear a jacket anymore which could possibly hide more electronics here and there. Wish someone made a tiny amp, just like the Beyerdynamic A200 with the power of E12. But now that I miss it already, I want to try out the JDS C5 this time. Hope somebody can through some light on this, if it is any good.

May 17, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #3,266 of 5,194
Not sure how much you want to 'play' with your X3 but at the Russian site that XVortex and FFarsh frequent they have been discussing changing the amplifier modules. As far as I know these
op-amps are pretty much plug and play, no soldering required. I'm wondering if you could drop in a more powerful amp module?

I'm still waiting on my X3 to be delivered, Fed-Ex site shows expected delivery on Friday. I can hardly wait to do some serious listening over the weekend.

Marty

May 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,268 of 5,194
My understanding was that the op-amps just plug in, no soldering required, or at least that's what I've seen with other models (and with DACs).
If that's not the case, and I haven't gotten my X3 yet, I stand corrected.

May 17, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #3,269 of 5,194
  My understanding was that the op-amps just plug in, no soldering required, or at least that's what I've seen with other models (and with DACs).

Thats possible if the device was designed to do so. Like some Hi end ASUS sound cards whose circuit is designed to work with multiple Op- Amps. Xduoo's is a low end device, which may not have been designed without this intention. Since this is a portable device which is supposed to have lot of moving around, it must be soldered to avoid, loose contacts when dropped or so.(If I am right) Also, the rest of the circuit will be optimised for the stock Op Amp, Swapping another might screw up the sound, or if there is a miracle, who knows. But I dont think the company (seeing how it sounds) is not so stupid to install a bad stock one. They might have tried out many and would have settled with the best at their budget can support.

May 17, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #3,270 of 5,194

No, they're small surface mount devices, each with eight little pins requiring de-soldering and then soldering new ones (avoiding overheating the device, or bridging the tracks on the PCB) and always assuming you've got the right spec replacement devices... you'd need a decent soldering iron with a very fine tip, and good soldering technique... and a steady hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back