XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
May 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,271 of 5,194
most of the devices I've worked on previously didn't solder the op-amps in, they 'snapped' into place (and there was a removal tool) same with DACs.
maybe plug and play wasn't the correct term, one will need to do some matching of the op amp to the rest of the circuit to avoid damaging it. If anyone is interested
I'd suggest that you read the Russian forum that FFARSH and XVortex post in. There are some favorable results reported from changing the op-amps. 

@MandoBear I was pretty good at slinging solder, unfortunately age has begun to catch up and the hand isn't as steady as it used to be, okay for full sized gear
not sure I'd like to be mucking about in micro components, and surely not something as small as an iem...not anymore.

May 17, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #3,273 of 5,194
  People are swapping the op-amps in this thing?

Damn I really need a second one now.

Yup.  They've been doing that for some time and reporting their results on the Russian forum.  Actually before XVortex released his Rockbox port! 
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #3,274 of 5,194
If someone is very handy with soldering electronical components than he/she should replace the OP amp with a an IC socket which could accomodate the OP amps integrated circuits chosen for the test. The chosen ICs have to be of similar spec with the current OP amp IC (pin-out, voltage range, etc.)...

Let's not forget specific soldering equipment for preventing the destruction of the player's PCB.

May 18, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #3,277 of 5,194
  Can you use it as a USB dac? Maybe with Rockbox? Sorry, I googled it but to no avail. Question was asked before in the thread but I couldn't find a response. 

It's been answered multiple times I think actually - no (sadly).

May 19, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #3,280 of 5,194
I have recently bought a FiiO X1 paired to a FiiO E11K amp. It sounds similar to my iPod 5.5 (Video) with the same amp. Always using line out to my amp without equalizer. Does the XDuuo X3 sound noticeably better than X1/iPod 5.5 with amp in terms of clarity or soundstage @

May 19, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #3,282 of 5,194
Can someone please explain what the difference would be in sound between something like this and the Xduoo xd-05 connected to my phone. If I'm not too interested in portability would the xd-05 be better?
Thanks

May 19, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,283 of 5,194
How about bass and highs in XDuuo X3? Better than FiiO X3II?

May 19, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3,284 of 5,194
Got my X3 a few hours ago, so far I'm really impressed with this little player.
The fit and finish is better than expected and I like it's heft and feel.
I haven't rockboxed it yet as I can't get to XVortex's site from inside the firewall at work.
The pitch error is noticeable on some tracks (Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions) on others hardly so.
The X3's ability to throw a wide soundstage is more than impressive, I don't think I've heard Trinity Sessions
sound so realistic through any iem's or headphones before.

I haven't had a chance to open it up and verify if the op-amp is soldered in or not, will post about that later.

back to listening for now.

Marty

May 19, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #3,285 of 5,194
  Got my X3 a few hours ago, so far I'm really impressed with this little player.
The fit and finish is better than expected and I like it's heft and feel.
I haven't rockboxed it yet as I can't get to XVortex's site from inside the firewall at work.
The pitch error is noticeable on some tracks (Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions) on others hardly so.
The X3's ability to throw a wide soundstage is more than impressive, I don't think I've heard Trinity Sessions
sound so realistic through any iem's or headphones before.

I haven't had a chance to open it up and verify if the op-amp is soldered in or not, will post about that later.

back to listening for now.

Marty

Glad you got yours since mine in in transit from the same place. And I'm glad that you are impressed with it so far! Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back