XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
May 8, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #3,181 of 5,194
I have a Fiio X3II and I was thinking of getting an Xduoo X3 because of the two sdcards availability. Since I see a lot of rockboxing recommendations, my question is: is it not worthy as it is (non-rockboxed)?
I ask because I have never rockboxed anything and I don't want to screw it up ^^;

May 8, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #3,183 of 5,194
  How do you format the 200gb card to fat32 format as XDUOO X3 does not recognise exFAT format?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803844/rockbox-xduoo-x3#post_12475070

May 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #3,184 of 5,194
  How do you format the 200gb card to fat32 format as XDUOO X3 does not recognise exFAT format?

If you know DOS or aren't afraid to do something other than point and click, 1. right click on the Windows 10 start window 2. click on Run 3. Enter this command (where the card to be formatted was my F: drive). The card might be some other letter in your system.

Format F: /FS:FAT32 /A:4096

It takes quite a while to format. If you are using a laptop, make sure it's on AC power.

May 9, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #3,185 of 5,194

It's been discussed numerous times in the two xDuoo X3 threads.  Rockbox sees mSD1 as internal and mSD2 as external.  My recommendation for file management has always been to revert to the factory firmware mode using the dual boot feature.  As for accessing the files in Rockbox, go to Files, then highlight <microSD1> and press the large play-pause bottom on the lower right.  You'll now see the files in mSD2.

But Rockbox merges the two databases right? You get the option to browse via the id3 tags (so Album, Artist, Genre) as well as by File (in which case you will see two options, internal and external to navigate).

I am personally not interested in the X3 currently, but might be helping someone else with the purchasing of one, I'm curious as to say why you think using stock firmware for file management is better than rockbox?

So say you have two 128gb sd cards in x3, both full of music as well as one being successful with a rockbox port. When that user browses their music via the id3 tag method does only ONE sd card show up the contents? Past experience has taught me that both internal and external mems are used in that database (ie it is possible to 'Shuffle All' tracks from both sources).

May 9, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #3,186 of 5,194

It's been discussed numerous times in the two xDuoo X3 threads.  Rockbox sees mSD1 as internal and mSD2 as external.  My recommendation for file management has always been to revert to the factory firmware mode using the dual boot feature.  As for accessing the files in Rockbox, go to Files, then highlight <microSD1> and press the large play-pause bottom on the lower right.  You'll now see the files in mSD2.

But Rockbox merges the two databases right? You get the option to browse via the id3 tags (so Album, Artist, Genre) as well as by File (in which case you will see two options, internal and external to navigate).

I am personally not interested in the X3 currently, but might be helping someone else with the purchasing of one, I'm curious as to say why you think using stock firmware for file management is better than rockbox?

So say you have two 128gb sd cards in x3, both full of music as well as one being successful with a rockbox port. When that user browses their music via the id3 tag method does only ONE sd card show up the contents? Past experience has taught me that both internal and external mems are used in that database (ie it is possible to 'Shuffle All' tracks from both sources).

Bruce,

Someone else needs to respond to your X3 Rockbox database questions as again, I don't use the database feature, preferring to play ALL my music randomly in one playlist that comprises all the entries on BOTH my mSD cards.  Frankly it very well may have already been answered in one of the two xDuoo X3 threads... dunno.

And again being redundant, since Rockbox shows mSD1 as internal and mSD2 as external, whereas the factory firmware shows both as internal, when connecting the DAP to your computer the later approach makes for much easier file management through windows in my view.

May 9, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #3,187 of 5,194

Bruce,

Someone else needs to respond to your X3 Rockbox database questions as again, I don't use the database feature, preferring to play ALL my music randomly in one playlist that comprises all the entries on BOTH my mSD cards.  Frankly it very well may have already been answered in one of the two xDuoo X3 threads... dunno.

And again being redundant, since Rockbox shows mSD1 as internal and mSD2 as external, whereas the factory firmware shows both as internal, when connecting the DAP to your computer the later approach makes for much easier file management through windows in my view.

I will step in here Bob, @BruceBanner yes your idea of the database merging the two cards' contents is exactly how it works. I use mine that way.

I have seen some other good suggestions in here for FAT32 formatting solutions but if you're encountering errors where the partition refuses to be modified, you might want to consider taking the time to install EaseUS so it can create a new partition table if necessary. Just throwing it out there for those who may run into trouble doing it themselves.

To be honest there are a few things I prefer about the stock firmware and continue to use it for that reason, I hope Xduoo plans to continue development on it.

May 9, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #3,188 of 5,194
To be honest there are a few things I prefer about the stock firmware and continue to use it for that reason, I hope Xduoo plans to continue development on it.

Hi vapman, mind explaining what you like better about the stock firmware (if I was at my computer I'd search your posts).

May 9, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #3,189 of 5,194
Hi vapman, mind explaining what you like better about the stock firmware (if I was at my computer I'd search your posts).

Pros vs. rockbox: Slightly louder output, simple & effective UI, very stable

Cons vs. rockbox: requires media library update even for directory view, no EQ & other rockbox specific features

May 9, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #3,190 of 5,194

Cons vs. rockbox: requires media library update even for directory view, no EQ & other rockbox specific features

Rockbox also fixes the pitch error that exists in the stock firmware - the reason why many people are using RB anyway. 

May 9, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #3,192 of 5,194

Thanks. 

you're very correct, i probably should not have assumed people reading would already know that difference.

I suppose the pitch issue doesn't bother/affect you very much?

May 10, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #3,194 of 5,194

@BruceBanner

I wrote to Xduoo and pointed them to XVortex's rockbox page, and asked if they were going to upgrade their firmware, specifically asking about the pitch issue.
Needless to say I've  gotten no response from Xduoo.
At one point I was reading the AK Jr. thread and it seems these companies have no interest in fixing firmware once it's released.
If anyone has a good rapport with Xduoo maybe they can suggest they read XVortex's page and figure out (copy) the firmware fixes he made.
(And again, a big thank you to XVortex for the Rockbox Port).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back