XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
May 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #4,471 of 5,194
and also it didn't come with usual screen protector with white strip but green and I still keep it on to this date. Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #4,472 of 5,194
Hi, in my previous post, I showed my slight mod on the X3: the add of a 22nF Wima MKS // with the Chemical cap
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/x...ss-music-player.782912/page-294#post_13408828
After about 50h burrnin, the sound is stable, with clear Improvement on trebles, voices, bass, instrument separation.

Then, recently, I swaped the 22nF Wima MKS (polyester) for a 22nF Wima MKP (polypropylene)
MKP wima (black lettering) are still quicker then MKS (silver or white lettering)
and this is a major improvement from previous. I guess that the modded X3 then equals more expensive DAPs

There seems to be less bass, but when there are bass in the record, it delivers it with power, punch and clarity that were not here before.

I guess this improves the action of the opamps but also the DAC, cause instruments analysis of details seems more effective. My preffered chinese earphone with this mod is the blue KZ ZS2 (dual dynamic drive) that has a natural sound, enough trebles, very good bass.

The dip socket allows the easy swap of the cap. Size = 5mm between legs

Xduoo_X3_mod02.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #4,475 of 5,194
Is this a big upgrade for my Fiio m3 player? Which is better in making a wider soundstage and improving sound quality, this or Fiio X1? Planning to pair this with either Havi B3 Pro 1 or Fiio EX1 in-ear headset.
X3 has much bigger soundstage. But you have also to consider other things, like lack of gapless and no cover art graphs, which might make the transition to X3 not so smooth.

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #4,476 of 5,194
X3 has much bigger soundstage. But you have also to consider other things, like lack of gapless and no cover art graphs, which might make the transition to X3 not so smooth.

Rockboxed X3 works like a charm and has gapless :)
I remember that I did not like the highs in M3, "sandy" sound. X3 feels more digital, but clearer in reproducing higher frequencies.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #4,477 of 5,194
I compare right now X2 and X3.....2 different world!! Level of details with X3 is from another league and X2 feel very dark and warm, no wonder why I gave the X2 to my brother! X3 still is the best dap under 100$ IMO

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #4,478 of 5,194
Hi, in my previous post, I showed my slight mod on the X3: the add of a 22nF Wima MKS // with the Chemical cap
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/x...ss-music-player.782912/page-294#post_13408828
After about 50h burrnin, the sound is stable, with clear Improvement on trebles, voices, bass, instrument separation.

Then, recently, I swaped the 22nF Wima MKS (polyester) for a 22nF Wima MKP (polypropylene)
MKP wima (black lettering) are still quicker then MKS (silver or white lettering)
and this is a major improvement from previous. I guess that the modded X3 then equals more expensive DAPs

There seems to be less bass, but when there are bass in the record, it delivers it with power, punch and clarity that were not here before.

I guess this improves the action of the opamps but also the DAC, cause instruments analysis of details seems more effective. My preffered chinese earphone with this mod is the blue KZ ZS2 (dual dynamic drive) that has a natural sound, enough trebles, very good bass.

The dip socket allows the easy swap of the cap. Size = 5mm between legs

Xduoo_X3_mod02.jpg
Wow nice idea,So you just change the cap or make other mods? This look very interesting! Can you tell me were to find this cap? Any way to change amp section too?

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #4,479 of 5,194
Well I've messed up my X3.
I carry it in my back pocket and forgot I had it there, with a heavy cable with straight connector is sort of levered the headphone jack.
I've lost sound in left channel when plug is fully engaged. Both channels present when I pull the headphone jack out about 1/8 inch but it doesn't stay that way.
I'm considering opening the X3 up to see if I can either fix it or replace the jack. Anyone got any suggestions?
I've owned it for 1 1/2 years and while out of warranty (that's a joke right?) wouldn't expect Xduoo to ever respond.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #4,480 of 5,194
I carry it in my back pocket and forgot I had it there, with a heavy cable with straight connector is sort of levered the headphone jack.
I've lost sound in left channel when plug is fully engaged. Both channels present when I pull the headphone jack out about 1/8 inch but it doesn't stay that way.
I'm considering opening the X3 up to see if I can either fix it or replace the jack. Anyone got any suggestions?
I've owned it for 1 1/2 years and while out of warranty (that's a joke right?) wouldn't expect Xduoo to ever respond.

If you have good soldering skills you can replace the jack. Or it's possible one of the legs of the jack pulled away from the solder pads by the torquing action - in that case, it could be easily resoldered.

If you take the board out to evaluate and/or repair, be extremely careful of the small buttons on the sides of the board (for volume, lock, etc). They are easily snapped off.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #4,481 of 5,194
Wow nice idea,So you just change the cap or make other mods? This look very interesting! Can you tell me were to find this cap? Any way to change amp section too?
Well, you can find the red Wima 22nF MKP on ebay.
I just add a film cap in // to the stock chemical cap. I install a dip socket so I can swap the Wimas for testing.
Only If you are ready, and have a very thin point thermostat soldering iron, I can send to you one Wima mkp 0.022uF cap for free...

My opinion is that the DAC and opamps, even the phone amp ops are excellent, there is nothing to change !
(if there would be more space, I would change the chemical for an Elna Silmic)

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #4,482 of 5,194
I just add a film cap in // to the stock chemical cap. I install a dip socket so I can swap the Wimas for testing.
Only If you are ready, and have a very thin point thermostat soldering iron, I can send to you one Wima mkp 0.022uF cap for free...

My opinion is that the DAC and opamps, even the phone amp ops are excellent, there is nothing to change !

I've never heard any opamp that I liked better than the MUSES02 (not in the X3 though - I'm talking about opamps in general). Just have to make sure you get a genuine one, because it is commonly counterfeited.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #4,483 of 5,194

Open it being careful not to strip the screws. Solder if you have the tools and skills. Otherwise fold some paper and wedge it between jack and back plate like I did and reassemble.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #4,484 of 5,194

Whe i'm ready I will PM you for the cap....but before I really must take some basic electronic course and find my thermostat soldering lost somewhere in my ex girlfriend home.....gulp.
Big thank another time and I will not forget this mod for sure!

I guess it do not affect line out sound?

Only thing that afraid me is the burn in for cap and instability in sound that can occur...if I read well about you CAP-tivating modding journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back