XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jul 7, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #4,488 of 5,194
Yeah, real steal, hope someone use it.

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered one and got it for less than £40 with the additional 300 points for signing up! I already have a X10 but at that price I couldn't resist getting this one too.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #4,489 of 5,194
TOMTOP is the worst site I have ever made a purchase from. They lay trap by huge discounts only to not deliver and your money will be stuck with them for a month. Same happened with me when they were selling Xduoo X10 for $110 when rest of the world had it for $150. Save yourself a headache.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #4,490 of 5,194
TOMTOP is the worst site I have ever made a purchase from. They lay trap by huge discounts only to not deliver and your money will be stuck with them for a month. Same happened with me when they were selling Xduoo X10 for $110 when rest of the world had it for $150. Save yourself a headache.

Lol, well, we'll see how this ends up, I'll be sure to keep you informed....

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,491 of 5,194
Additional stuff to report. So I ran through one charge. Previously my max playing time on one charge is a little over 8 hours. After the rockbox update I got 11:30 or so.

I play mostly ALAC on random, library has about 15,000 songs.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #4,492 of 5,194
Lol, well, we'll see how this ends up, I'll be sure to keep you informed....

Yeah, keep us posted.

I've ordered tons of from TomTop before via ebay and never had a single problem. Not sure why their own web store would be the exact opposite. Seems they would just just be shooting themselves in the foot. That would be like Newegg screwing everyone when ordering via the newegg.com website, but when you order from Newegg via Amazon or ebay they are top notch. Doesn't make any sense. But then again, a lot of shady stuff happens with Chinese ecommerce in general, so I guess it wouldn't be a total shock.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #4,493 of 5,194
Additional stuff to report. So I ran through one charge. Previously my max playing time on one charge is a little over 8 hours. After the rockbox update I got 11:30 or so.

I play mostly ALAC on random, library has about 15,000 songs.

Shut the front door, that's a big change (40% improvement)! I too get a little over 8 hours.

Are you sure the screen brightness didn't get reset to a lower setting with the update?

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #4,494 of 5,194
I didn't adjust the screen brightness previously so it shouldn't be an issue. I will keep playing it a few rounds and see if this holds.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #4,495 of 5,194
I didn't adjust the screen brightness previously so it shouldn't be an issue. I will keep playing it a few rounds and see if this holds.

No, I'm saying that perhaps it was reset in the update. For example, if you previously had brightness on 8 before the update, and the update set it to 6 (which you may not even notice). Because every update comes with a config.cfg file (which stores just about every setting in Rockbox). I have experienced this myself - my theme/WPS has magically changed in the past from doing an update.

I'm sure the new RB base code accounts for (some of) the changes, but a 40% improvement in battery life is almost too large to believe. It's possible that some portion of that battery life improvement indirectly came from somewhere else (hence my idea with the brightness change).

It really doesn't matter in the long run - I'm just curious (can't help it I've been in IT my whole life and am used to being required to get to the bottom of and explain anomalies/drastic changes like this).

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #4,496 of 5,194
@slaterlovesspam

Let me see... In my review of the xDuoo X3, I performed a battery test under almost labratory conditions (RockBox, CD format FLAC 16 bit/44.1 kHz file in endless repeat, Superlux HD668B, volume set to -53, occasionally unlocking the screen and navigating through the menus). Guess what? The result was 11 hours and 55 minutes of playback.

When I take the X3 out for hiking and walking, reaching somewhat more than 11 hours is no problem either.

So yeah, the battery life seems to be indeed better with RockBox as firmware. No big surprise though, since other players' battery lives already benefited from a RockBox install in the past, and the software/firmware and its efficiency have a quite noticeable effect on any battery-driven device in general, and given how far developed and efficient RockBox is, it doesn't surprise me much.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #4,497 of 5,194
@slaterlovesspam

Let me see... In my review of the xDuoo X3, I performed a battery test under almost labratory conditions (RockBox, CD format FLAC 16 bit/44.1 kHz file in endless repeat, Superlux HD668B, volume set to -53, occasionally unlocking the screen and navigating through the menus). Guess what? The result was 11 hours and 55 minutes of playback.

When I take the X3 out for hiking and walking, reaching somewhat more than 11 hours is no problem either.

So yeah, the battery life seems to be indeed better with RockBox as firmware. No big surprise though, since other players' battery lives already benefited from a RockBox install in the past, and the software/firmware and its efficiency have a quite noticeable effect on any battery-driven device in general, and given how far developed and efficient RockBox is, it doesn't surprise me much.

Definitely. I can usually easily get 10 hours myself. I was more commenting on the update to the LATEST version of Rockbox. That's what ambchang said increased his battery life from 8 hours before the update to 11:30 after the update. Since he was already running Rockbox before, it seems either something was really wrong before or something is really right now.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #4,498 of 5,194
Gotcha. Could've been a quite old RockBox build where the battery capacity was set too low in the settings which probably forced an automated shutdown when that value was reached although there was still more than enough capacity left for more than three hours. That's how I would explain it.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #4,499 of 5,194
Gotcha. Could've been a quite old RockBox build where the battery capacity was set too low in the settings which probably forced an automated shutdown when that value was reached although there was still more than enough capacity left for more than three hours. That's how I would explain it.

True, very likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back