XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #4,501 of 5,194
No, I'm saying that perhaps it was reset in the update. For example, if you previously had brightness on 8 before the update, and the update set it to 6 (which you may not even notice). Because every update comes with a config.cfg file (which stores just about every setting in Rockbox). I have experienced this myself - my theme/WPS has magically changed in the past from doing an update.

I'm sure the new RB base code accounts for (some of) the changes, but a 40% improvement in battery life is almost too large to believe. It's possible that some portion of that battery life improvement indirectly came from somewhere else (hence my idea with the brightness change).

It really doesn't matter in the long run - I'm just curious (can't help it I've been in IT my whole life and am used to being required to get to the bottom of and explain anomalies/drastic changes like this).

So I just checked the brightness setting in the Rockbox, and it's set at 16 (brightest) so I am doubtful the battery life is due to the brightness of the screen. Besides, my screen is only on and off for a few seconds when I turn it on and off. I usually listen for about 45 minutes at a time, and the patterns are pretty consistent before and after the upgrade.

There are few options that I haven't customized yet, such as the shortcut keys and volume fading on pause, there was also the one option I had turned on in the old rockbox because the xDuoo kept freezing (can't recall what it was), but freezing is no longer an issue on the new version.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #4,502 of 5,194
I just used this coupon and picked one up. Let's see what happens. :) Thanks! Or if it turns out to be a scam; Why did you do this to me?? :wink:

...aaaand I just got the shipping notification. Now, this could be a fake notification, but all looks well so far. The Xduoo has a lot of reviews on the site, and the seller seems genuine from the reviews online. I'm not worried. Looks like I just scored an X3 for $53. :)

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #4,503 of 5,194
...aaaand I just got the shipping notification. Now, this could be a fake notification, but all looks well so far. The Xduoo has a lot of reviews on the site, and the seller seems genuine from the reviews online. I'm not worried. Looks like I just scored an X3 for $53. :)

Nice! Assuming it shows up, sounds like TomTop isn't all that bad afterall.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #4,506 of 5,194
UPS just messaged me saying I can pick up my Xduoo X3 this friday. That was ridiculously quick! I ordered from TomTop's UK warehouse. Shipped to The Netherlands in 4 days.
Damn, when I ordered there was none left at the UK warehouse so I picked the China one and it's not been shipped so far (five days after paying for it). :/

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #4,508 of 5,194
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,509 of 5,194

That's just an adjective to describe the size, not part of the name. It's a "mini player" because it's small.

Like saying the "all-new fun-to-drive Jeep off-road vehicle". The name is just Jeep. The rest is just adjectives. Some sellers go overboard on Amazon and Aliexpress, because they think the more words they jam into the product title, the more it will results in search hits. I've seen some ridiculous ones, like this: https://www.amazon.com/KOODER-Squirt-Fulfill-soldier-sci-fi/dp/B01HUV6TXI

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,511 of 5,194
As asked in the following thread:
--> https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/page-119

"Got the Xduoo X3 and am overwhelmed with the stunning sound. I installed Rockbox. but however it seems to me, that the X3 lost a bit of his "mojo", clairity and "bass" whenn running on rockbox. I did not change any settings in Rockbox and turned the EQ off.
What settings do I have to adjust to get exactly the same sound as it is using the stock firmware?"

Can anyone help? Thank you!

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #4,512 of 5,194
The Xduoo X3 I ordered from TomTop on the 10th arrived today. DHL tracking was a dream and the thing arrived in four days. Paid $54.23 all in, so the coupon is good, as is TomTop's credibility. The unit is brand new, screen protector applied and no blemish in sight. It even has the latest firmware update. For the doubters: buy with confidence. The deal is real! :D

Will post pictures and first impressions (if I don't forget and/or can be bothered) later today. :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #4,513 of 5,194
Hopefully they'll finally end up shipping mine from the China warehouse too...

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #4,514 of 5,194
Well, here we go, I just received notification from Tomtop that my X3 had been shipped.

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #4,515 of 5,194
It's a bit too early to say much, but the thing that immediately jumped out at me is that when I boot into Rockbox the sound is warmer than in the stock firmware. I checked all the Rockbox settings, but everything is set at default. I have no explanation for this. I prefer the stock firmware, which makes no sense because, well, Rockbox! Rockbox rules! I'm normally rather sceptical of differences between amps, DACs, cables etc, but I hear what I hear and the difference is obvious to me. I'm fairly certain I could distinguish between the firmwares if someone did a blind test on me. Weird.

Another thing that kinda bugs me is that it's actually pretty hard to get the microSD's into the unit. They "click" in place a bit too deep inside the housing, and the only way I can get a card to stick is by using a tool to press down on the microSD when it's in the slot.

SQ is good though. Soundstage is noticeably wider and more immersive than on, say, a Sansa Clip+. I'm happy with the Xduoo X3 and for the price I paid ($55) I feel like I got a nice and noticeable upgrade over my current daps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back