XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #4,532 of 5,194
You still haven't posted your tweaks. Please share them! Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I forgot I left this loose end.

Settings - Sound Settings - Channel Configuration = Custom
Settings - Sound Settings - Stereo Width = 125%
Settings - Sound Settings - DAC's filter roll-off = Sharp
Settings - Sound Settings - DAC's oversampling = 64x
Settings - Sound Settings - Crossfeed - Crossfeed = Simple (Meier)
Settings - Sound Settings - Dithering = No
Settings - Sound Settings - Haas Surround - Haas Surround = No
Settings - Sound Settings - Perceptual Bass Enhancement - Perceptual Bass Enhancement = 0%
Settings - Sound Settings - Auditory Fatigue Reduction = Off
Settings - Sound Settings - Compressor - Threshold = Off

If you want to know what all of these settings do, check the online Rockbox manual (https://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch6.html), or search this thread (or the Rockbox X3 thread), as many of these settings have been discussed in depth.

Be aware that some of these settings are based on people that have used non-subjective, scientific testing methods (such as oscilloscopes), and they've provided proof of what the different settings are doing to the sound output (the filter roll-off and oversampling are perfect examples). Other settings have come right from the mouth of Rockbox developers on the Rockbox forum (I've spent entirely too much time there learning over the years LOL). So it's not just "yO, this setting is awesome DaWg!"

I'm sure not everyone will agree with all of my settings, and that's OK. I've personally tweaked and tested every setting in Rockbox for countless hours, and this is what I've found works best for me on my xduoo X3.

What I recommend is using the above settings as a starting point. Then play with each of the settings 1 at a time to see how they affect the sound. And when testing changes, go from 1 extreme setting to the other extreme, so you can REALLY hear the difference in an exaggerated way. For example, you are not going to hear the difference between 120% and 125% Stereo Width, but you WILL hear the difference between 100% and 200%. Then you'll know what increasing or decreasing a particular value is SUPPOSED to sound like, and you can better decide if you want the Stereo Width lower or higher than 125%. Does that make sense?

Also, I further tune the sound with EQs (NOT Settings - Sound Settings - Bass and Treble, which I leave at 0dB), which is very easy with Rockbox. I have EQ profiles for many of my IEMs/headphones, and it takes me seconds to select the profile after I plug in headphone X or Y. Also, on the EQ I always set my High Shelf Filter Cutoff to 12kHz, not 16kHz (Settings - Sound Settings - Equalizer - Advanced EQ Settings - High Shelf Filter - Cutoff Frequency). The reason is that in testing with frequency sweeps etc, the upper limit of my hearing is 16kHz. So it's pointless to boost frequencies above 16kHz when I can't even hear higher than that. So lowering it to 12kHz allows me to make Band 9 EQ changes that produce very effective results in the upper treble frequencies that I can actually hear. That's just what I've found works best for me, so YMMV. I suggest testing your own hearing to determine the upper limit of your hearing, and tweak that value appropriately.

If you want to use the EQ, you'll want to set the following additional settings:

Settings - Sound Settings - Equalizer - Enable EQ = Yes
Settings - Sound Settings - Equalizer - Precut = 0.0dB

Note that you can backup Rockbox settings at any time by going to Settings - Manage Settings - Save .cfg file (or if you just want to do the Sound Settings, choose Save Sound Settings). This is very handy to backup your settings before making changes, as you can go back to your previous settings at any time. You can also use it to compare 2 different settings in controlled A-B testing, to see which group of changes you like better.

I'll also mention that you can address channel imbalances in headphones and IEMs using the setting at Settings - Sound Settings - Balance. For example, I have a KZ IEM that has a rather large channel imbalance in 1 side. Well, I just tweaked the balance setting until both sides sounded the same, and saved that setting as a "Save Sound Settings" file (which I named the model of the IEM so I can easily identify that particular Settings file). Then when I use that IEM, I just restore that Settings file. I also happened to have an EQ tweak for that IEM as well (which is also captured in the settings file). So just restoring that 1 file does both tasks for me - easy as pie!

Finally, I can't stress how helpful it has been to read the online Rockbox manual (https://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-build.html). Many people find Rockbox daunting, especially 1st time users who are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of settings. And things like figuring out how to make EQ profiles and even something as simple as how the keyboard works. Just like anything, it is worth the time spent, believe me. I still refer to the manual.

Hope that was helpful.

P.S. - The default theme and WPS (While Playing Screen) that comes on the X3 leaves a lot to be desired. You can greatly improve (and personalize) the overall experience by changing the default theme and/or WPS using any of the dozens of themes available at http://themes.rockbox.org/?target=sansaclipplus

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #4,533 of 5,194

Settings - Sound Settings - Perceptual Bass Enhancement - Perceptual Bass Enhancement = 0%

If you want to know what all of these settings do, check the online Rockbox manual (https://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch6.html), or search this thread (or the Rockbox X3 thread), as many of these settings have been discussed in depth.

Be aware that some of these settings are based on people that have used non-subjective, scientific testing methods (such as oscilloscopes), and they've provided proof of what the different settings are doing to the sound output (the filter roll-off and oversampling are perfect examples). Other settings have come right from the mouth of Rockbox developers on the Rockbox forum (I've spent entirely too much time there learning over the years LOL). So it's not just "yO, this setting is awesome DaWg!"

I'm sure not everyone will agree with all of my settings, and that's OK. I've personally tweaked and tested every setting in Rockbox for countless hours, and this is what I've found works best for me on my xduoo X3.

What I recommend is using the above settings as a starting point. Then play with each of the settings 1 at a time to see how they affect the sound. And when testing changes, go from 1 extreme setting to the other extreme, so you can REALLY hear the difference in an exaggerated way. For example, you are not going to hear the difference between 120% and 125% Stereo Width, but you WILL hear the difference between 100% and 200%. Then you'll know what increasing or decreasing a particular value is SUPPOSED to sound like, and you can better decide if you want the Stereo Width lower or higher than 125%. Does that make sense?

Also, I further tune the sound with EQs (NOT Settings - Sound Settings - Bass and Treble, which I leave at 0dB), which is very easy with Rockbox. I have EQ profiles for many of my IEMs/headphones, and it takes me seconds to select the profile after I plug in headphone X or Y. Also, on the EQ I always set my High Shelf Filter Cutoff to 12kHz, not 16kHz (Settings - Sound Settings - Equalizer - Advanced EQ Settings - High Shelf Filter - Cutoff Frequency). The reason is that in testing with frequency sweeps etc, the upper limit of my hearing is 16kHz. So it's pointless to boost frequencies above 16kHz when I can't even hear higher than that. So lowering it to 12kHz allows me to make Band 9 EQ changes that produce very effective results in the upper treble frequencies that I can actually hear. That's just what I've found works best for me, so YMMV. I suggest testing your own hearing to determine the upper limit of your hearing, and tweak that value appropriately.

If you want to use the EQ, you'll want to set the following additional settings:

Note that you can backup Rockbox settings at any time by going to Settings - Manage Settings - Save .cfg file (or if you just want to do the Sound Settings, choose Save Sound Settings). This is very handy to backup your settings before making changes, as you can go back to your previous settings at any time. You can also use it to compare 2 different settings in controlled A-B testing, to see which group of changes you like better.

I'll also mention that you can address channel imbalances in headphones and IEMs using the setting at Settings - Sound Settings - Balance. For example, I have a KZ IEM that has a rather large channel imbalance in 1 side. Well, I just tweaked the balance setting until both sides sounded the same, and saved that setting as a "Save Sound Settings" file (which I named the model of the IEM so I can easily identify that particular Settings file). Then when I use that IEM, I just restore that Settings file. I also happened to have an EQ tweak for that IEM as well (which is also captured in the settings file). So just restoring that 1 file does both tasks for me - easy as pie!

Finally, I can't stress how helpful it has been to read the online Rockbox manual (https://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-build.html). Many people find Rockbox daunting, especially 1st time users who are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of settings. And things like figuring out how to make EQ profiles and even something as simple as how the keyboard works. Just like anything, it is worth the time spent, believe me. I still refer to the manual.

Hope that was helpful.

P.S. - The default theme and WPS (While Playing Screen) that comes on the X3 leaves a lot to be desired. You can greatly improve (and personalize) the overall experience by changing the default theme and/or WPS using any of the dozens of themes available at http://themes.rockbox.org/?target=sansaclipplus
Thats great. Will try that and see how it goes. Out of curiosity, what theme are you using?

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #4,534 of 5,194
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #4,535 of 5,194
Thats great. Will try that and see how it goes. Out of curiosity, what theme are you using?

I chose to use pieces of 2 different themes because I didn't like the WPS screen in 1 theme and the other stuff in the other theme (menus, etc).

For the Base Skin, I use "Sweet", and for the While Playing Screen I use "Balanced".

For the font, I like "08 - Namil" the best.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #4,536 of 5,194

Hope that was helpful.

Nice. Thanks a lot for sharing your tweaks! It wouldn't hurt to try the settings you've shared, and like you said, we can play around with them and further tweak them if it's not to our preferences. Btw, this is just a personal preference, but I don't use EQ. Rather, I adjust the bass and treble settings until I get the sound I like. Again, just my personal preference.

About the theme, yes, I agree that the default theme and WPS is kinda meh. I use lebellium Samsung-like for the theme and Cliplined Asian Remix for the WPS. For the font, I use 10-Sazanami-Mincho. I recommend using this setup especially if you listen to a lot of music with Japanese tags/info embedded on them.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #4,537 of 5,194
Nice. Thanks a lot for sharing your tweaks! It wouldn't hurt to try the settings you've shared, and like you said, we can play around with them and further tweak them if it's not to our preferences. Btw, this is just a personal preference, but I don't use EQ. Rather, I adjust the bass and treble settings until I get the sound I like. Again, just my personal preference.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. When I 1st started using Rockbox, I just used Bass/Treble. It's great for quick adjustments, simple to use, and gets the job done. I actually still do use it from time to time. Believe it or not, behind the scenes the Bass/Treble settings are actually manipulating the EQ for you; changing multiple EQ bands as a group all at the same time (this is explained in the Rockbox manual).

The EQ just allows fine tuning of individual specific frequencies. It even allows you to change the center frequencies of each EQ band (if you really want to nerd out). Using the EQ method allows an easy way to create a setting for each of my headphones/IEMs. If the Bass/Treble function had the ability to save profiles, I'd use it much more and wouldn't need the EQ as much. Obviously, not everyone needs that level of granularity, but it's definitely nice that it's there if one ever chooses to use it.

Heck, the same is true of ALL the settings in Rockbox - I'd rather have the ABILITY to change anything and everything, than to not have those choices at all! Some audio players are very dumbed down, and 90% of the decisions have been made FOR YOU by some software programmer in some cubicle somewhere.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #4,538 of 5,194
Believe it or not, behind the scenes the Bass/Treble settings are actually manipulating the EQ for you; changing multiple EQ bands as a group all at the same time (this is explained in the Rockbox manual).
Wow, today I learned, haha! Seems like you're the type of guy that thoroughly reads manuals. :p

I'd rather have the ABILITY to change anything and everything, than to not have those choices at all! Some audio players are very dumbed down, and 90% of the decisions have been made FOR YOU by some software programmer in some cubicle somewhere.
Hence, Rockbox to the rescue! My most important criterion when considering and buying a DAP is if it's able to have Rockbox installed. Alas, so many great DAPs like the Sandisk Sansa Clip Sport/Jam, Fiio X1, etc. that deserve to have a Rockbox port, but isn't able due to hardware limitations.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #4,539 of 5,194
Wow, today I learned, haha! Seems like you're the type of guy that thoroughly reads manuals. :p

Haha, yeah. I've worked in IT my whole life, so I'm used to having to thoroughly read (and often re-read) 1,200 page manuals and have to understand how every feature of whatever widget we just bought works. Because I'm the guy that will be responsible for installing it, making it work the way we need it to work, and supporting it when something goes wrong LOL.

Hence, Rockbox to the rescue! My most important criterion when considering and buying a DAP is if it's able to have Rockbox installed. Alas, so many great DAPs like the Sandisk Sansa Clip Sport/Jam, Fiio X1, etc. that deserve to have a Rockbox port, but isn't able due to hardware limitations.

I'm with you there! My 1st Rockbox experience was the Sansa Clip+, which I loved and I still have it to this day. I have an iPod Classic, which I've always wanted to put Rockbox on it as well. Coming from the xduoo X3 and Sansa Clip+, the large color screen w/cover flow of the iPod Classic would be a Rockbox like I've never experienced before!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #4,540 of 5,194
Well, I think my brand new Xduoo X3 is having some trouble. Tried charging it with a standard usb cable out of my laptop and the thing barely charges but gets insanely hot to the touch. :frowning2: This is while charging in the Rockbox firmware.

How do you guys charge your X3?

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #4,541 of 5,194
Well, I think my brand new Xduoo X3 is having some trouble. Tried charging it with a standard usb cable out of my laptop and the thing barely charges but gets insanely hot to the touch. :frowning2: This is while charging in the Rockbox firmware.

How do you guys charge your X3?
Phone charger. It shouldn't get crazy hot.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #4,542 of 5,194
Sorry to hear you already have some problems with your DAP.Me,well i'm on my fourth or fifth charge with my newly bought X3,and so far so good.Takes to long time to charge thrue PC so i bought one of these 2.1amp chargers that works for phones,DAP:s and moore..And like i said,so far no charging problems under my RockBox:ed X3..

My two bath worth..Hope you can maybe do like me,TOMTOP offers still stands..for me that gets me a second X3 for a total of 51US :)

Have a great day..

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #4,543 of 5,194
Phone charger. It shouldn't get crazy hot.

Thanks! I am charging it right now with a 2A wall charger, and it's not scorching hot anymore and stays relatively cool to the touch. I see the battery bar has increased as well, so it looks like it's charging.

Strange, you'd think that using a usb port from a macbook (800mah) should actually cool it down some, since the current is way less than the 2000mah from the wall adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back