xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED!
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,007 of 2,087
  Got mine today, couple quick notes:

1. wow, easy to mis-insert the Micro SD & have it go into the case instead of the slot.
2. Headphone jack is REALLY tight, I hope to hell I don't pull out guts one of these days.

Got a pair of KZ ED9's earlier in the week, so now I can pair them up & see how it goes. Gotta go add more tracks onto my 64 GB card.
Build quality seems good. Screen is fingerprint magnet, will check into a screen protector

I lost a 16gig card in the case instead of the slot myself : ) In fact I took the player to 3 separate jewelers in the area and nobody could remove the screws from the back. The player still works great.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,008 of 2,087
Just a couple questions before I decide to pull the trigger on one of these:

-These are good for ortho cans as well right since the amp is a "current-mode" amp?

-Can these be RockBox'd or is it completely proprietary firmware? 

-How can you tell if the eBay listings for these is the version3 July revamp of the X2? 

Thanks in advance, guys. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,009 of 2,087
1) No. Well... maybe for HE-400i yes.
2) No.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #1,011 of 2,087
For most orthos you need very powerfull amp - at least 1-2V.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,012 of 2,087

1) No. Well... maybe for HE-400i yes.
2) No.

Is the output of the amplifier on this device variable current which is at least compatible with orthos or is it the same as the cmoyBB amps which clip very badly since those are constant current? Thanks for the response. 

it's not a matter of the type of amp, it's a matter of maximum power. most orthos are very poor in sensitivity/efficiency and need serious power rarely available on portable gears.
if you have one headphone in mind give us a name so we can give you a clear "NO!" or "maybe for quiet listening" ^_^. because as a general question the answer can only be that a portable DAP isn't fit for orthos.

Aug 10, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,013 of 2,087

it's not a matter of the type of amp, it's a matter of maximum power. most orthos are very poor in sensitivity/efficiency and need serious power rarely available on portable gears.
if you have one headphone in mind give us a name so we can give you a clear "NO!" or "maybe for quiet listening" ^_^. because as a general question the answer can only be that a portable DAP isn't fit for orthos.

I only wanted to know if this is the type of amp that clips with orthos like the cmoyBB or if it is a current-based amplifier. I know it won't be extremely loud because I see the power output of the amp right on the spec sheet...To be very specific, I intended it for my Thunderpants which are a T50RP mod. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,015 of 2,087
My mistake - at least 1-2W.

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #1,016 of 2,087
I only wanted to know if this is the type of amp that clips with orthos like the cmoyBB or if it is a current-based amplifier. I know it won't be extremely loud because I see the power output of the amp right on the spec sheet...To be very specific, I intended it for my Thunderpants which are a T50RP mod. 
[/quote

See DjScope's post, the blackwoods are modded t50rp.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,017 of 2,087

ok I got it, you wonder if it will be just quiet or if it will distort when pushing the volume level. I don't get the current amplifier part, I would imagine that 99% of all audio amps are voltage amps, that doesn't mean they will all lack current into a given load and clip.

so to answer the "how will it drive?" part. based on this http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDSmeggyThunderpantsontherivet.pdf
Headphone Measurements:
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.261 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 55 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 1.23 mW

dunno if the manufacturer's specs for the t50rp I got are wrong(often are) or if the mod did this, but that means the they are close to 90db/mw sensitivity (89 in fact). still I'll use that if it's ok. maybe take it only as a worst case scenario.

from http://headphoniaks.com/blog/xduoo-x2-reproductor-sansa-clip-killer/2/
we see the max voltage staying stable at around 1.2v between 32 and 150ohm while not going into distortion, so we can make a reasonable assumption that the power variation comes from the current variation to the load in that range of impedances(kind of ideal situation where the load decides, not the DAP). so when the X2 drives the thunderpants with the volume maxed out, it doesn't clip! I guess that was your actual question.
the thunderpants reaches 90db with 0.261v .
with 1.2v that's a max of 103db rms. so yeah you might wish you could go a little higher sometimes but that's about it.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,019 of 2,087
HiFiMAN HM-901?

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,020 of 2,087
The xDuoo X2 can be bought for $50 USD.  The Sandisk Clip Jam is around $37.  The Clip Jam has 8 GB internal memory and is expandable with micro SD card.  It also has FM radio.  The battery life is also up to 18 hrs vs maybe 12 hours for the xDuoo
Is it worth spending the extra $13 for a xDuoo X2 over the Clip Jam?  Is the sound quality of the xDuoo really that much better than the Clip Jam?

http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-jam/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back