xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED!
Feb 21, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,606 of 2,087
  sorry to be ot, but what do you think is better in terms of sound, the Fiio M3 of Xduoo X

Sound wise they are pretty close but I would give the edge to the X2. They are both excellent players. I think I prefer to use the X2. The battery is a little better probably due to the M3 having a color screen and album art. 

The font is a little small and a bit tougher to read for my old eyes on the M3, and I think I like the X2 buttons/controls a little better. As far as appearance goes the M3 looks nicer than the X2. The M3 is also thinner. I have the black M3 and it looks nice and sleek.

But you really can't go wrong with either player. I am happy using them both.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,607 of 2,087
  i've got artist folders on the root directory of my microsd, but when i turn on the shuffle play mode, they only repeating one folder ( artist/album ) only not all, should i make one folder only on the root directory to shuffle all files?

to get around the UI I had to to create 2 versions of my music library. Using WINAMP I first set the preferences to export by song only and i created playlists by genre and then created sub folders for each genre and put them all in one folder.

I then changed the preferences to export by artist name and song title and set up sub folders by the letter of the alphabet . I did not include albums as I rarely listen to albums and if I want to I can easily export a paylist with just that album

And I also have a folder for playlists.

So my "custom UI" has an Artist folder, a Genre Folder, and a Playlist folder. WINAMP made it easy to do and this is far from the best way to do things but for my listening styles and the size of my library this gets me around the bad UI and makes it somewhat close to a stock Clip+ UI

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #1,608 of 2,087
I use the X2 with my FiiO ex1 aka Dunu titan 1. I have never been this impressed with iems before. The soundstage, imaging and air with this pairing is to die for. extremely airy treble. Airiest sound I have ever heard in an iem. Detailing also blew me away. These retrieve more micro details than my DT 150, also the imaging is top class.The bass and the mids sound neutral without too much warmth. Infact - I would love some warmth in the mids. These sound no less than a $500 iem. A review said - these even trump westone w40 in overall fidelity. I would really recommend this pairing if you are looking for an airy, wide and detailed sound.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,609 of 2,087

I use the X2 with my FiiO ex1 aka Dunu titan 1. I have never been this impressed with iems before. The soundstage, imaging and air with this pairing is to die for. extremely airy treble. Airiest sound I have ever heard in an iem. Detailing also blew me away. These retrieve more micro details than my DT 150, also the imaging is top class.The bass and the mids sound neutral without too much warmth. Infact - I would love some warmth in the mids. These sound no less than a $500 iem. A review said - these even trump westone w40 in overall fidelity. I would really recommend this pairing if you are looking for an airy, wide and detailed sound.

xDuoo X2+Topping NX1  -  better, than one X2

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,610 of 2,087
Hey guys,

New X2 user here... Maybe I won't make many friends here with this :p, but actually I'm a tad disappointed by the X2... I've been using it for a little bit more than a week now, and it's definitely a decent little player. With all the hype it got though, and people mentioning seperation and soundstage as it's strong suits, I found that I got a better soundstage out of my laptop (without amp) which I was a little miffed about (using Monks). I went from outside of my head to in my head going to the X2. It arrived with fw 7.0, but after listening for a bit I decided to try the Tennmak fw 6.1 and I do think I like it more (couldn't A/B though so could be psychological).  Unfortunately a few of it's buttons do rattle, but it does have a serial number, don't know exactly how old it is.

Either way, I *am* enjoying it now, in all honesty I think I went in with too high expectations. I was hoping the Xduoo X2 was the Monk of DAPs, price / quality ratio, but that was just unrealistic, set myself up for failure there.. It's nice and small, light, I can do basic operations from inside my pocket & it sounds musical and pretty detailed (though not analytical ofc) with decent seperation. If it had a bit more air up high and a bigger soundstage I'd be blown away, but for the money it's definitely decent. I really don't mind the UI at all so far, it's bare-bones ofcourse but functional. I also didn''t have any noise floor issues, using the Monks. When I put in the Kz ATE's I did notice a bit of hiss, but as soon as the music started playing I forgot about that though. For that IEM the X2 is too warm a source though, the already big (and kinda slow / wooly?) subbass just overpowers, on electronic music at least. 

Just felt like sharing my first experiences after a bit more than 10hrs of playing music on it (FLAC, variety of genres and artists like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse, Lauryn Hill, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Daft Punk, Bluetech, Ott, Younger Brother, Quanta, Hibernation, Notorious BIG, De La Soul and The Pharcyde, etc ).

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,611 of 2,087
  Hey guys,

New X2 user here... Maybe I won't make many friends here with this :p, but actually I'm a tad disappointed by the X2... I've been using it for a little bit more than a week now, and it's definitely a decent little player. With all the hype it got though, and people mentioning seperation and soundstage as it's strong suits, I found that I got a better soundstage out of my laptop (without amp) which I was a little miffed about (using Monks). I went from outside of my head to in my head going to the X2. It arrived with fw 7.0, but after listening for a bit I decided to try the Tennmak fw 6.1 and I do think I like it more (couldn't A/B though so could be psychological).  Unfortunately a few of it's buttons do rattle, but it does have a serial number, don't know exactly how old it is.

Either way, I *am* enjoying it now, in all honesty I think I went in with too high expectations. I was hoping the Xduoo X2 was the Monk of DAPs, price / quality ratio, but that was just unrealistic, set myself up for failure there.. It's nice and small, light, I can do basic operations from inside my pocket & it sounds musical and pretty detailed (though not analytical ofc) with decent seperation. If it had a bit more air up high and a bigger soundstage I'd be blown away, but for the money it's definitely decent. I really don't mind the UI at all so far, it's bare-bones ofcourse but functional. I also didn''t have any noise floor issues, using the Monks. When I put in the Kz ATE's I did notice a bit of hiss, but as soon as the music started playing I forgot about that though. For that IEM the X2 is too warm a source though, the already big (and kinda slow / wooly?) subbass just overpowers, on electronic music at least. 

Just felt like sharing my first experiences after a bit more than 10hrs of playing music on it (FLAC, variety of genres and artists like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse, Lauryn Hill, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Daft Punk, Bluetech, Ott, Younger Brother, Quanta, Hibernation, Notorious BIG, De La Soul and The Pharcyde, etc ).

Might be the case, low price, high VFM stuff tends to get hyped and lot of potential buyers may end up expecting next gen performance from the things. To make it very clear, X2 is a very good  entry level DAP. Anybody who has spent time even with mid range hardware may find it a bit lacking. 

You received older hardware revision IMO. Because there is no rattle in newer hardware that I received a month ago as a replacement to my old X2 that died. 

One point that I'd like to share as well, lot of laptops come with some kind of sound 'processing' or 'enhancing' as they claim which may unwillingly process sound to widen the soundstage or to provide surround feel. In some cases it's tricky to turn off all that processing. If one gets used to that particular sound the unprocessed / raw audio may feel a little dry or lacking. Just stating my opinion.. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,612 of 2,087
Hey EISEN,

Yeah, expectations too high for sure ! About the laptops coming with DSP - don't really think that's what was going on with it..  Was playing flac on it with VLC, and didn't listen to it loads so my ears are used to this type of sound. Also, the soundstage on it is nothing extreme, it's just sounds outside of my head spatially instead of inside it as is the case with the X2 for me - no caverns or halls :). I know what artificial DSP's can do though, I have some experience with Cowon's BBE which also has a spatializer setting affecting soundstage and positioning - I used to like to use it with moderation. Crank that setting up though, and it quickly goes from sounding artificial to ridiculous. And yes, having received one with a few rattling buttons also makes me think it's an older hardware revision, was a bit disappointed about that as I had read on here about it being an issue, and later about that issue being resolved. Oh well, my own fault for not checking this in advance with the seller. I'll save up when I can for a better DAP, I have my eye on the Plenue D from Cowon but that will take a while. In the meanwhile it's no punishment using the X2 for sure :wink: !

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #1,613 of 2,087
  Hey guys,

New X2 user here... Maybe I won't make many friends here with this 

Don't worry about that just because you say what you think it should not  upset people :)

The X2 packs a punch for its size so depending what you feed it you will get different results for example IEM or cans. 

Switch it around a bit if you have the chance but I thought the X2 did a better job with more demanding headphones and compared to a phone it was better with lossless file formats.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,614 of 2,087
  Hey guys,

My laptop also sounds way better than the X2, but I paid $1,500 for my laptop and $35 for the X2 and I cant carry my laptop around in my coat pocket :)

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,615 of 2,087
  My laptop also sounds way better than the X2, but I paid $1,500 for my laptop and $35 for the X2 and I cant carry my laptop around in my coat pocket :)

This made me lel. 
tongue.gif

I paid £1400 for my XMG built laptop 2 years ago, so I'm kinda concerned the X2 wont keep up with it when I finally get it.
ph34r.gif
tongue.gif
 PS. My laptop weighs over 4kg so I dont carry it around at all.

---

Back to seriousness though, does X2 have gapless playback as this is a dealbreaker for me. I listen to a lot of mixes and mixed CDs, I simply despise the 2 second pauses between my music, I want to be the one who decides when my music stops and starts. NOT MY DAP!

Also wondering if I'll get any improvement over my OnePlus X that I'm using currently as my audio player.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #1,617 of 2,087
  Hey guys,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the sound. I think it depends on what DAPs or DAP you currently own. If you got only entry level DAPs, then you would be very impressed with the sound.  Even if the sound is really good for the price, you gotta remember - this is an entry level DAP and won't compete against higher end stuff.  I have a few entry level DAPs such as the FiiO X1 and M3 . FiiO DAPs are smoother and intimate sounding compared to the X2.  X2 offers tremendous space and soundstage under $100. It makes my already spacious sounding FiiO EX1/ Titan 1 and Fidue A73 sound more spacious and detailed compared to my FiiO DAPs that are more expensive.  I was very much impressed with that quality given that I paid only $50 for it. that's incredible value for money. I don't know what laptop you own. I guess it already has a very good and better sound.
Also, you can't carry your laptop everywhere, but you can carry the x2 around. It's tiny and cute :)

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #1,618 of 2,087
It's definitely tiny and cute :) . I figured a current age dedicated (even entry level) 'hifi' DAP would give a better sound than my laptop's built-in onboard sound card, which proved wrong. There's a number of things I like about the X2 though, and it does sound good. The reduced soundstage and (not too big) reduction of air on top in comparison to the laptop isn't a dealbreaker for me, also depends a lot of artist / genre I listen to whether I mind at all. I listen to Bob Marley & the Wailers quite a bit for example, and am really loving their albums through the X2. Also, as you said, it's hard to lug around a laptop in your pocket :wink:. I considered getting a portable amp for a bit, but I wouldn't like the hit my pocket space would take (apart from costing $$$ ). Bottom line, I'm using the Xduoo X2 about every day & enjoying it too - I guess I got a little carried away by the hype so my expectations were too high. That and I underestimated current-day onboard stuff on laptops, or mine anyway !

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,619 of 2,087
  Does anyone knows the bandwise EQ setting when selecting "Jazz" in the xDuoo X2 EQ menu? Would like to replicate the same setting in another DAP for comparison.

It sounds like mild V shaped eq to me. Milder version of Rock eq. 

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,620 of 2,087
While I still need to burn in my ZN1 Mini that arrived 2 days ago, initial impression was quite bad with it and X2. However, I noticed that 'Soft' EQ does wonders for it - reduces bottom bloat and gives it more room in the mids and highs. Might be something to try for anyone with bass-heavy IEMs using X2 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back