Xbox 360 game discussion/impressions thread
Nov 8, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #64 of 204
Gears of War plays and looks fantastic, but the characters absolutely stink. Am I supposed to give a crap about these morons?

Give me Band of Brothers style characters any day. Don't make a realistic world for me and throw characters in that don't suit it.

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #65 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Gears of War plays and looks fantastic, but the characters absolutely stink. Am I supposed to give a crap about these morons?

Give me Band of Brothers style characters any day. Don't make a realistic world for me and throw characters in that don't suit it.

GOW's a stop gap for me. I'm really waiting for BIA: Hell's Highway and Assassin's Creed. Oh yeah, Fable 2.

Nov 9, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #66 of 204
^ Morons is right. Well as far as gameplay is concerned, these guys really like to die. When they take cover, they don't pop out and fire. Instead they get open to take their shot and quickly demise. Thanks for the help guys!

Not to be negative Johnny; so far it's been a-lot of fun. Once one becomes used to the control, everything starts to flow. Good times.

One other thing, for how good this game looks, it runs great so far. I'm impressed by how smooth it is; major kudos.

Nov 9, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #67 of 204
Yep. Your in-game buddies are morons in both personality and AI.

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #68 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Yep. Your in-game buddies are morons in both personality and AI.

I agree but given the stellar graphics, amazing gameplay and incredible environments I am just too happy with the game to be taken back by the above complaints, which are minor given the big picture IMO.

I just got done driving the junker... very cool... the rain and lightening are just fantastic! Easily the best next gen game I've seen. I was playing last night with my Hornet and Darth Zebra's... no words... just a BIG simle!

btw - Does anyone know if I start a co-op game if it will overwrite my single player progress? My 15yr old nephew is coming over and I know he'll want to get in on this.

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #69 of 204
Oh no question. The game plays like a dream and looks even better.

Actually, we're lucky to have copies of it... apparently there were missed shipments all over the place and a huge shortage of copies in some areas.

Check it out, most major game blogs are doing stories on it:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/08/wh...emergence-day/

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #70 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I agree but given the stellar graphics, amazing gameplay and incredible environments I am just too happy with the game to be taken back by the above complaints, which are minor given the big picture IMO.

I just got done driving the junker... very cool... the rain and lightening are just fantastic! Easily the best next gen game I've seen. I was playing last night with my Hornet and Darth Zebra's... no words... just a BIG simle!

btw - Does anyone know if I start a co-op game if it will overwrite my single player progress? My 15yr old nephew is coming over and I know he'll want to get in on this.

it will overwrite you save game but you can come back to it and choose the Chapter and Scene you want to start again in single player at a later point.

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #72 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I agree but given the stellar graphics, amazing gameplay and incredible environments I am just too happy with the game to be taken back by the above complaints,

Yeah, me too. I have to eat my words earlier in this thread about this one. GoW lives up to the hype - funnest time I've had with a game this year.

During the first couple of chapters, I was let down. The squad a.i. has bad moments, and the enviroment, while pretty, was a little bland. Then came the Berserker, and the WOW moments started piling up one after another. It took me to that child like state when playing. The little problems mattered less.

My favorite Act was 4. I never wanted to see that one end.

Great game! Think I'm going to look for someone to co-op with through insane.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #74 of 204
I'm half way through the game (GOW)... for the second time but am going through on "insane" this time. I have to say this game is probably one of the best games I have ever played... simply amazing! The graphics really are stunning, the amount of detail in every little thing even when it seems you are looking miles beyond is just spectacular. Gameplay is a blast! Not too much run n' gun and not too much of the opposite. Just when your eyes start to get bored of all the gray it's dusk and there is a gorgeous orange/rose tint on everything. Before you know it it's dark and raining, the water and lightening effects are incredible. To change things up even more you go underground and get some serious eye candy with the colors in all the caves. The game seemed a little longer than the average (which was refreshing) and everything flows very nicely. I wish the end boss would have been harder but it was great anyways. I put this game in my all time top favorites with the first Halo, Syphon Filter, RE1 and Mercenaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back