Xbox 360 game discussion/impressions thread
Oct 20, 2006 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 204

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought it would be fun to have a thread that 360 owners can come to and discuss or get info on different games so here we are.

I picked up Splinter Cell Double Agent a couple days ago and have played through about 3 missions or so. So far I would say I'm pretty impressed. The graphics are very clean and the gameplay seems to follow the previous installments in the series. Michael Ironside is back doing the voice of Sam Fisher and so far the story seems like it has potential but could also flop so I am not passing any judgments just yet. Sam has some new toys and there is additional gear that you can unlock as you complete each mission and all its objectives. If you are a fan of the series I would say so far it's shaping up to be one worth having... almost for the graphics alone!

The last game I played was The Godfather which I really enjoyed. I'm anxiously waiting for F.E.A.R., Rainbow Six Las Vegas, and of course Gears of War.

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 204
Picked up the new Splinter Cell, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet as I've been burning time on the horrifically buggy Battlefield 2142. I like the Battlefield series, but really hate the bug infested, POS business model that Dice/EA use for the franchise.

Last game I played was Enchanted Arms. Graphics are so so, better than Xbox/PS2, but not to next gen standards. Storyline was actually pretty good for being a mess of JRPG cliches, and I really liked the tactical/puzzle battle system. Maybe not memorable, but still a lot of fun.

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 204
Is it any good or are the bugs in the way of enjoyment?

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 204
For me, not really. The bugs are of the random annoyance type. Haven't been able to rank up for the last two days due to an apparent bug in the rank server, the game crashes my computer on exit, the exploding titan sound causes my X-Fi to well exceed normal RCA out levels, etc. Haven't noticed any major game breaking bugs though.

Gameplay wise, a major improvement over BF2. No more pesky unkillable airplanes, pretty good infantry combat, the addition of tank-buster emplacements, anti-air emplacements that work (unlike the godforsaken Stingers in BF2), and best of all, no more screw*** Blackhawks.

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 204
The single player campaigns usually keep me busy enough that if I spent time online too my wife would never see me.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 204
My son and I have been playing the snot out of NHL07.

It's got a GREAT new control scheme where the right stick controls the hockey stick. It's real intuitive, and a LOT easier to use than the old button mashing way.

We've been playing epic shoot-outs too! There's a mode where it's pure shootout, and you can really use the new control scheme to it's fullest. We usually play, rematch, play, rematch, etc etc. It's a blast.

The graphics are good too. You can actually make out stitching in the uniforms in closeups.

Even better is the fact that the puck doesn't act like a magnet to the goalie all the time. It slips thru, or bounces off his clove and into the net. Just like real hockey.

Highly recommended if you like hockey.

Oct 21, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 204
Game I've most recently played was Dead Rising... handles very well. Graphics aren't really impressive, but they do the job and a ton of stuff can happen on screen at once. It's a tough game though, in the old tradition. Save points are few and far between... a death after 20-40 minutes of kicking ass can really set you back and I have found myself playing in shorter sessions that sort of end this way. Very good overall, but has some quirks.

Oct 21, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 204
Well, I recently 100%'ed Saint's Row. You want to talk about time drain. Saint's Row consumed 65 hours. It was a blast though!

I'd enjoyed Saint’s Row more. It was extremely playable. Like I mentioned in another thread, it was akin to GTA without the repetitive task stuff. For example, it was so nice to be able to restart missions without having to drive to the location from the last save point over and over again, and the waypoints on the map made navigation a breeze. The aiming system was much better and health more forgiving. I thought the game was hilarious, but be warned it is extremely crass. GTA is like Kindergarten compared tha Row.

It wasn't without flaws however. It was too easy. The difficulty never ramped up until the very end. So one would complete most of the early missions in one or two tries until the later missions took over 30 attempts for me in some cases. It's was also an obvious knock off of GTA, so I can see snooty gamers really knocking the presentation. Another problem was the extreme amount of glitches. None were show stoppers, but a-lot of funny stuff will happen. But, I can't say any other sandbox game I've played was glitch proof. With so much stuff going on, there is always a problem, no matter what game it was.

Now, I'm playing Condemned. This was a launch window game, and can be found for around $20 now if one looks in the right spot.

So far, I really like it. It is genuinely scary. Last night, I had to take a couple of 'breaks". It's an fps, but the action is very measured, as your character (part of the police) explores murder scenes and deciphers a mystery surrounding a serial killer. The feel is very Se7en'sh with black and white shaky cut scenes and macabre gore. The action happens in spurts, with plenty of suspense and anticipation before encounters.

About six hours in, I hope it keeps up. So far it has been good.

Oct 21, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 204
Okay, glad i found this thread. on tuesday im going to get my 360, altho i ned some help if you guys can.

Im gonna turn in my old xbox for credit, now im going to get the pro model the standard hardrive model with a wireless control...

now what else should i get while at the store... i have a live account with Xbox live that doesnt expire till feb.. so can i use that or will i need to get another live card?

also im going to buy Marvel Ultimate Alliance, now can anyone recomend me another game to buy?

so far ive been looking at Moto GP 4,Splinter Cell DA, Lords Of the Rings RTS... Tom Clancys Rainbow Six Vegas(Altho its not out yet so...), and Test Drive Unlimited

any help would be appreciated... wanna get another game and make sure i dont need any accessories

Oct 21, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 204
I'm waiting eagerly for Gears or War.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this one.
wink.gif

-Ed

Oct 21, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 204
Yeah, Condemned was my favorite launch title. Totally overlooked by too many people, it becomes quite frightening. My only complaints are the plot... essentially I thought that what I had made up in my head for the ending (you sort of figure things out as you go) was much more clever than the actual ending.

Oct 21, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Yeah, Condemned was my favorite launch title. Totally overlooked by too many people, it becomes quite frightening. My only complaints are the plot... essentially I thought that what I had made up in my head for the ending (you sort of figure things out as you go) was much more clever than the actual ending.

The plot and the gimped hand to hand combat system. Otherwise, the atmosphere was just perfect. The shopping mall. *shudder*. My favorite level.

-Ed

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
any help would be appreciated... wanna get another game and make sure i dont need any accessories

Here's my advice Mauler:

1. Get an extended warranty.

2. Do you game a-lot? If so either buy
a. a ton of AA batteries (the wireless flys through juice) or
b. a play n charge kit or
c. a quick charge kit.

Have fun and welcome to the club!

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Totally overlooked by too many people,

I never heard of the game until I d/l'ed the demo. Hmmmn...thinkin' about playin' tonight, but frankly I'm scared like a little girl.
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Here's my advice Mauler:

1. Get an extended warranty.

2. Do you game a-lot? If so either buy
a. a ton of AA batteries (the wireless flys through juice) or
b. a play n charge kit or
c. a quick charge kit.

Have fun and welcome to the club!

okay, hmm maybe i should forget the wireless? hmmm