XB700 vs MDR-V6 vs ???????
Dec 31, 2010 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pkgk1

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking for new headphones, I don't want to spend more than 70$, but would be willing to go over if you guys think it is truly worth it.

I've narrowed down my options to the MDR v6's and the XB700's

I own a pair of XB500's and am happy with them, but someone offered me 60 dollars for them (I bought them for 30), and could get xb700's for the price he's paying me. If I go 10 dollars more, I can get the V6's for 70.

I am NOT AT ALL a bass "fanatic". I am simply going for what sounds best. I really only listen to rock/metal, and use them for gaming.

If you think there is a better option than the v6's or xb700's in my price range, please let me know!

So; are the v6's significantly better than the xb700's; and if so, is it worth paying an extra 10$?

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 19
Wow, that’s a tough call.  Both are great headphones, but are better at different things.

The XB700’s will walk all over the V6’s when it comes to bass, but that doesn’t mean the V6 doesn’t have good bass, it does, it’s just not a bass powerhouse like the XB700’s are.

The V6’s have a much more solid feel to them.  These are headphones that are built to last, and I know people who still have their original pairs from the 80’s as a testament to that.

On the flip side the V6’s have really harsh treble that really needs to be equalized down for an optimum listening experience.

The XB700’s are big and bulky, but those ear cushions are amazing and very comfortable.  The V6’s would probably have the edge if you intend for much portable use, but the stock cushions are not that great.  I’m using DT250 pads on mine.

V6’s would probably be better for games if your goal is to hear every little footstep, etc.  But if you’re goal is to hear loud powerful explosions, etc, then the XB700 might be better.

You really can’t go wrong with either one, but depending on what matters most to you, you could certainly benefit more from one or the other.

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 19
Metal on 700s won't be a top choice.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 19
As far as overall sound quality, would you think the xb700's would be better with 3-28k hz vs the v6's 5-30khz frequency response? Also the xb700's have a 50mm driver whereas the v6's have a 40mm.

The xb700's boast a higher retail value by $20 too.

But for an overall better at-home listening experience, what would you recommend?

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 19
For rock/metal i'd have to give the edge to the V6's; much better drum impact.  The XB700's really aren't anything special unless you're listening to music with lots of bass content, especially deep bass, where they really shine.  The XB700 cushions are considerably more comfortable than the stock V6 cushions however, so if you plan for some extended listening or gaming sessions that might be a consideration.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
For rock/metal i'd have to give the edge to the V6's; much better drum impact.  The XB700's really aren't anything special unless you're listening to music with lots of bass content, especially deep bass, where they really shine.  The XB700 cushions are considerably more comfortable than the stock V6 cushions however, so if you plan for some extended listening or gaming sessions that might be a consideration.

I think I'm going to go with the v6's!
Just to make sure:
Are the v6's circumaural and do they have sound isolation?

I'm a bit concerned about getting a counterfeit pair; this is the site im looking to buy them from, does it seem to be a legitimate V6?:
http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/bestgoodz4salz/the-2060/Sony-MDR-dsh-V6-Headphone/Detail

Thanks for the information you've provided!

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 19
Jan 2, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 19
Well, XB700s are great for gaming and are INCREDIBLE in comfort. Their detail, soundstage and separation is decent for its price. But the bass is deep and not exactly impacting, also the bass is slow. So double pedals in metal sounds like...crap. I never heard the V6 but looking at it, I would imagine it as a better pair for rock and metal. 

Oh, the XBs build quality is very good.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 19
XB700 doesn't necessarily have to be better than the XB500 you had previously though depending on your taste and especially for those genres the XB700 may have a bit too sloppy bass, does it really have to be a Sony though? I'd say V6 between those as you don't seem to be a basshead and both XB500 and XB700 are really heavy on the bass.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
I am currently looking for new headphones, I don't want to spend more than 70$, but would be willing to go over if you guys think it is truly worth it.

I've narrowed down my options to the MDR v6's and the XB700's

I own a pair of XB500's and am happy with them, but someone offered me 60 dollars for them (I bought them for 30), and could get xb700's for the price he's paying me. If I go 10 dollars more, I can get the V6's for 70.

I am NOT AT ALL a bass "fanatic". I am simply going for what sounds best. I really only listen to rock/metal, and use them for gaming.

If you think there is a better option than the v6's or xb700's in my price range, please let me know!

So; are the v6's significantly better than the xb700's; and if so, is it worth paying an extra 10$?

V6 V.S. XB700 is the literal definition of day and night. being V6' is day, very bright aggressive headphone. The XB700 being night, very layedback, bassy, dark headphone.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 19
I preferred the HD428 over the V6. As much as I liked the V6 it had some flaws and the HD428 at the time was just a better allrounder without the flaws of the V6 and a decent sound stage. 

I liked it with Metal, and with amplification it improved. The V6 though has a thing for fast paced Rock, Gun'N'Roses sounded addictive.

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #15 of 19
HD428 isn't even close to the same sound, sennheiser has a very warm and layed back sound. Almost a grainy warmth in the midrange. Sony MDR V6 are super fast and aggressive almost like a grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back