x can v8 appreciation thread
Jan 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #376 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should not use the V8P in combination with another preamp. That would mean you would have two pre-amps and two volume controls in series. Not Good.
If you want to add some tube warmth try to get hold of an MF-X10D tube buffer..

Read this from the Musical Fidelity web site concerning this.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...P/X-CANV8P.pdf

Quote:

The X-CAN V8P may also be used as a high quality valve
preamplifier by connecting the pre-outputs to separate power
amplifiers’ line input. In a pre-power setup, the TAPE out
from the preamp can be connected to the X-CAN V8P input
(loop outputs are also available on the rear of the X-CAN V8P
for recording etc). The pre-outputs from the X-CAN V8P can
then be directly connected to the power amplifier inputs. The
volume control on the X-CANV8P will then control the
volume with the preamp controlling the source input. This
creates a two-box valve buffered preamp system.

It seems the volume is controlled by the X-Can only. Im just wondering if it by passes the tubed stage in this configuration.

Also I've heard the X10D's tubes cant be replaced after they blow...is this correct?

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #377 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by rantzmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems the volume is controlled by the X-Can only. Im just wondering if it by passes the tubed stage in this configuration.

You are correct, you'd be OK that way. If you use the tape loop out of your preamp and the X-Can as preamp you'll get full use of the tubes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rantzmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I've heard the X10D's tubes cant be replaced after they blow...is this correct?

I don't see why they couldn't be replaced. They are ordinary 6DJ8/6922/ECC88, so availability is no problem.
I have no experience with opening/closing the case of the X10D, but I think it would be extremely odd if a tube unit would be inaccessible...

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #379 of 441
Yes the tubes can be replaced, but I recommend you to get better tubes anyways as the default tubes are very cheap Chinese ones.

Now I don't have any experience with the tube buffer, but if you can use other tubes, get some of the Russian 6H23N's or 6N11's if they are compatible.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #380 of 441
The pre amp tape loop out will pass line signal out. ANd if you use the XcanV8 as a Pre amp, then plugging it into the line in of Xcanv8P will establish the signal chain from CDP- Pre amp - Xcanv8p. And connecting the pre out to the power amp will provide the Xcan sound. That wold work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rite now i have an intergerated Tube amp which can also be switched to a Power AMP if i use the direct in input.

This is what i have done.

CDP--Vdac --- Xcanv8 (Line in) --Xcanv8 ( tapeout) -- Int. Amp ( Line in)
( using above set up, i realised i could even switch the power fo the V8 off and still get signal to the AMP. This set up however only use the signal from CDP-DAC and bypass the V8 tube signal stage)

In another config, still with above connection, i will use the heaphone jack to output the line signal to the Direct in of the Intergerated AMP( Switch to Power AMP). ANd use the v8 as pre amp.

So in this case, i actually get a choice of 2 sound flavours and i just need to flick the source switch to get which signal i wan :
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have a chance to swap tubes, the recommended 6H23N is very good
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #381 of 441
Oh no. lately i started hearing some slight hissing sound. Its like very low level kind of hissing and spitting sound. Cna only hear it in very very quiet sessions. ANd when the vol pot is at its min, then the sound will come up. It seem to occur on both headphone jacks.. Any one has this problem and how to get rid of it?

Am not sure if its the tube.. But are tubes "noisy " in that sense?

IN any case the Hissing is not noticeable unless you pay really attention or use a very sensitive phone..
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #384 of 441
I just found and joined this forum, and I'd like to add my comments. I have a four month old xcan v8 which I'm using with a 3yo AKG-701. I coudn't be happier. The sound is excellent. Maybe being new to headphone amps is still a novelty, but I find when I want to listen to music I'm now reaching for the 701's instead of listening through my speakers.
k701smile.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #385 of 441
k701smile.gif
Yep, me too. I listen more to the AKG K701 & X-Can V8P than to my Elac-speakers.

Through the K701 you get a phenomal 3D-stage, it can be beaten by a speaker-setup.
And... I am not annoying my neighbours
popcorn.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #386 of 441
Slightly OT, does anyone know when the new Musical Fidelity amp is coming out?

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #387 of 441
Don't know when it's comming out but I got new tube recommendations for the X-CanV8.

I have some NOS tubes in stock and thought I'd toll them in.

I have :
1) 2x Ameperex Bugle Boys 6922 (6DJ8)
2) 2x Mullard E88CC
3) 2x Sylvania 6DJ8? (model number is missing)

Out of the bunch the Mullards sounded the best and really helped the k702's mids a lot. They become very fleshed out and lots of meat to them. Treble is very detailed yet ultra smooth and bass is rounded, but tight and impactful. The soundstage was also much bigger than the Russian 6H23's I previously had installed.

The Bugle Boy's sounded very good as well, but they seemed to lack some of the Mullards smoothness in the mids and also did not sound as fluid IMO. Bass was tight and more round than what the Mullards had. Treble was very comparable but not as detailed. Also the soundstage was a little bit smaller, but not by much.

The Sylvania's sounded great as well, about nearly as good as the Mullards. I'd say they were Mullard Jr's in a way. A great alternative to the Mullards.

Overall just get some nice NOS Mullards in there...

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #389 of 441
Just wanted to let you guys know of the best and cheapest upgrade you can EVER make for the V8P.

Bought one of these: RS | Transformers | Transformers | Chassis Mounting Transformers | Chassis Mount Frame 75 to 200VA |10-5882

A cheap plastic enclosure, 3 pin din plug, IEC socket with a mains filter and 1 meter of mains cable.

Wired it all together, cut a hole for the mains plug, fixed down the transformer and plugged it in.

OMG, I'm not exaggerating. For under £25 the improvement in sq is outstanding. It's totally exceeded my expectations of what a decent power supply can transform the V8P in to. All for a tiny fraction of the cost of an X-PSU.

Without going in to too much detail, the most noticeable improvements are tonal quality, musicality, fine detail, width and depth of sound-stage, weightier, black levels, decay...... I could go on, just about everything has improved with no negatives. It makes you want to turn up the volume as it sounds so clean, yet completely unfatiguing.

All for a few beers.... Best upgrade ever.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back