x can v8 appreciation thread
Dec 24, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #346 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenratboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...

I have no idea what just happened. The little gremlin inside of my amp just flipped the switch from 'really good' to 'oh my god!'. After about 100 hours, this amp has just transformed itself (and its not in my head...I think).

Bass is deeper, tighter, and more defined, and the mids and highs have mellowed out and become more neutral. The interesting thing is bad recordings sound pretty good (takes the edge off), good recordings sound great (get the most out of them), and great recordings are allowed to shine through in their full glory. Doesn't matter if its a YouTube video, or a 24/96 recording - it all sounds better than before - it is the best of both worlds (mellows out the harsh, protects the fragile & pristine).

I now fully-appreciate why this amp is $500.

The kicker is I am not even pushing it with a really good source, I'll be hooking up a Primare CD player in the next few days to see what this thing can REALLY do. And to think I can get it even better with new tubes/upgraded power supply.

Thanks again for the help!

This happened with mine. I never mentioned it because I thought that it was me.

The trouble is, I'm also burning in K701's and both the headphones and the amp have changed.

Bass hits hard now whereas at the start, my 701's were edgy and the V8 is still very new. Suddenly, the bass seemed to focus and I'm not sure whether it's the result of the amp settleing down or the heavy burn in on the K701's.

Talk of the K701's lack of bass isn't true in my case with the V8. I liked the V8 with the Senn 600 and 650, but even more with the K701. It provides an enormous amount of 'space' in the sound imo.

I'm using the same valves from Mike and the Little Pinkie.

Ian

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #347 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed this amp is awesome. Glad to see those 6H23N's worked out darlim. Did you get the upgrade idea from me
wink.gif
?

kenratboy, indeed it does get better. Try letting it run for a day non stop then listen. The sound will be very transparent and will gain more air.

Now all that has to be done is put some tube dampers on the tubes and the bass becomes even tighter and more defined.

YES! And thank you !!
smily_headphones1.gif
I have ordered a set of brass tube anchor and am gonna see what difference it will make
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #349 of 441
i got the xcan v8 2 weeks ago and i am extremely happy. very warm, open, detailed and laid back sound. it is not harsh at all. i am using it with cambridge dacmagic and sennheiser hd800 and apple lossless files. i am thinking of exchanging it for the x-can v8p.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #350 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by usinare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got the xcan v8 2 weeks ago and i am extremely happy. very warm, open, detailed and laid back sound. it is not harsh at all. i am using it with cambridge dacmagic and sennheiser hd800 and apple lossless files. i am thinking of exchanging it for the x-can v8p.

Usinare - what is the difference between the x-canv8 and x-canv8p? Sorry if this is a silly question!

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #351 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by pytter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usinare - what is the difference between the x-canv8 and x-canv8p? Sorry if this is a silly question!

I think the only difference is that the v8p has a pre amp circuit apart from that there is no difference.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #352 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by pytter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can answer this for you. The main difference is that the V8P has a Pre-Amp circuit built in.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #354 of 441
Jan 6, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #355 of 441
Funny information on the X-Can. I emailed both Music Direct and Tempo Marketing (US distributor) about the disappearance of X-CAN V8P off websites (it's back on music direct yesterday) and the two answers were very intriguing:

Tempo (Distributor says)

Quote:

Unfortunately, the X-CAN V8P is no longer available. We will be introducing a replacement model in June or July. Right now we do not have any details on the new model, but expect to hear some news about it in the next couple of months. Thanks for your interest in Musical Fidelity and let me know if you have any other questions.

Music Direct Says:

Quote:

Thank you for your email. There is a new US distributor for the Musical
Fidelity X-CAN V8P
and we are currently looking into getting them back into
stock. We are expecting to be updated soon. I will update you when the
information is provided to me.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #356 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by anvious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny information on the X-Can. I emailed both Music Direct and Tempo Marketing (US distributor) about the disappearance of X-CAN V8P off websites (it's back on music direct yesterday) and the two answers were very intriguing:

Tempo (Distributor says)

Music Direct Says:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
wink.gif

Looks wierd. Discontinued items usualy are taken off the MF web site. its still available there though.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #357 of 441
I can clearly see that on the distrubtors order page that they are not in stock. I'll contact MF direct to see what happened.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #358 of 441
This was flying around in October when I got my V8. I bought mine from a private dealer and he said at the time:

a) V8P - more may be coming in November. (At the time there wasn't a lot of stock)
b) MF may not be making any more since sales are low.

Ian

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #359 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was flying around in October when I got my V8. I bought mine from a private dealer and he said at the time:

a) V8P - more may be coming in November. (At the time there wasn't a lot of stock)
b) MF may not be making any more since sales are low.

Ian

That's disappointing - I read a review in one of the Brit magazines a couple of months back where the reviewer used the original V8 as a preamp (lineout from the headphone out into a variety of expensive power amps) and raved about its capabilities as a pre-amp. He was most impressed by the bass impact he got from each combination, and the fact that the V8 worked so well with some very powerful amps. I don't know much about pre-amps, but if you look at the RSA site (among others), its pretty clear that they are usually an expensive proposition.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #360 of 441
i am into starting a Speaker set up. And i am actually experimenting with the idea of using the V8 head phone out as a pre amp. So i actually runs a wire out of the V8 to amp and use the another headphone jack for my head phone.
smily_headphones1.gif
the effect is more than satisfactory.
smily_headphones1.gif
It has lots of juice to drive my book shelf spaeaker rated at 50W. Not sure how it will fare with Floor stander. But i will try it if i have any chance
smily_headphones1.gif
As my set up is not really up to par, won give any serous comments but all i can say is it is good
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously, its hard to find a valve pre amp at this price. It is a very excellent headphone amp and pre amp unit in it self.
smily_headphones1.gif
As to the technicalities why it is so, its beyond me.. but from what i read in MF web site.. its what sparks the creation of the V8p.

The amount of stuff you can get out of this amp at this value is really something
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back