x can v8 appreciation thread
Jan 10, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #361 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by darlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am into starting a Speaker set up. And i am actually experimenting with the idea of using the V8 head phone out as a pre amp. So i actually runs a wire out of the V8 to amp and use the another headphone jack for my head phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

The amount of stuff you can get out of this amp at this value is really something
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,

Just to check. Are you going from the BACK of the amp to the power amp? (Not the headphone out?)

It is an amazingly good pre-amp as well but you must go from the back.

Ian

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #362 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Just to check. Are you going from the BACK of the amp to the power amp? (Not the headphone out?)

It is an amazingly good pre-amp as well but you must go from the back.

Ian

No. I am running them from the front. The 2 jacks for the head phones. V8 has no pre amp jack provided. The v8p does. And line out from the back bypass the head phone amp circuit ( i think) and does not gives volume control nor the valve output which provides the amazing Xcan sound.

I have tried using the line out from the back, but in my opinion, it just daisy chain the signal from CDP to Headphone amp to power amp. It sounds good if your CDP is good. But it have none of the Xcan flavour.

ANd i think that unless your power amp have volume control, its not advisable to line out to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like what i said, am experimenting. These are just for sharing.
smily_headphones1.gif
Trying to squeeze as much out of it as possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #363 of 441
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm using the V8p.

Didn't realise the V8 had no pre-amp out. It's a nuisance when there are changes like that and only a letter or number difference in the model.

Ian

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #365 of 441
I just tried the headphone out of mine directly to the Roc and wow, I had no idea it never output the same sound. The line out and pre-out don't seem to have that x-can sound. Not only that but you get much more volume with the headphone out.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #366 of 441
Hey Zombie x, you mean the sound from the Pre out vs the headphone out sound is different?
ph34r.gif
From what i read, the circuitry is the same except different path ... technicaly they should sound the same. Anyway whats the diffence you hear from the pre out vs headphone out?

I have no pre out to use so can only compare with the headphone output..The sound is exactly what you hear in the head phones except you can "feel" the music better due to the sound pressure from the speakers. Difference from using line out vs headphone out is quite big. Line out tends to be leaner and "crispier".

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #367 of 441
To me it sounded more tuby, but it may be me. Who knows. I like how the HP out is louder than the pre-outs max volume.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #369 of 441
Yeah I know LO is more neutral, and pre-out is tuby, but the HP out sounds different to me.

Hrm.... kinda odd.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #370 of 441
Hey this is my first posting and have a question.

Im looking to add a little warmth to my setup.

I have a amp/preamp outfit with a Musical Fidelity X-Ray v8 CDP. I dont want to pay for what they want for a new X-DAC v8 and was wondering if I added the X-Can V8P to the system, would it bring a nice warm tube sound to the system?

Thanks.

Rantzmar

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #373 of 441
I can see what rantzmar is proposing to do, but not why
confused_face_2.gif

Sounds worthwhile though, let us know how it works out
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantzmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey this is my first posting and have a question.

Im looking to add a little warmth to my setup.

I have a amp/preamp outfit with a Musical Fidelity X-Ray v8 CDP. I dont want to pay for what they want for a new X-DAC v8 and was wondering if I added the X-Can V8P to the system, would it bring a nice warm tube sound to the system?

Thanks.

Rantzmar

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #374 of 441
Read posting 361-369. The X-CAN V8P can be used as a stand alone preamp or used in a system with a preamp/amp combination. I wondering if used in a two channel system would it by pass the tube stage altogether or would it go through the tube stage of the X-CAN.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #375 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by rantzmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read posting 361-369. The X-CAN V8P can be used as a stand alone preamp or used in a system with a preamp/amp combination. I wondering if used in a two channel system would it by pass the tube stage altogether or would it go through the tube stage of the X-CAN.

You should not use the V8P in combination with another preamp. That would mean you would have two pre-amps and two volume controls in series. Not Good.
If you want to add some tube warmth try to get hold of an MF-X10D tube buffer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back