WTB bassier headphones than ath m50 with better sound quality?
May 14, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 28
So, IMO

Bass quantity : D1100 > D2000 > M50
Bass quality : D2000 > D1100 ~ M50
Mids : D2000 ~ M50 > D1100 (mids in Denon series are not as forward as in M50)
Highs : D2000 > D1100 > M50 (personal preference - slightly rolled off highs)
Instrument separation: D2000 > M50 ~ D1100

If you want to know about the distribution of bass / sub bass , you'll have to read posts by rpzwizard. He's the expert on that.

May 14, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #17 of 28
Also, I find the m50's extremely comfortable.  Some people had problems with it.  I dont.  Would you say the 1100 are as comfortable?

Also, the highs on the s4 were stronger.  I dont know what rolled over means, its just that I could hear them clearer-the best word to describe my experience is powerful.  they were more powerful than the m50s.  I dont know if thats because they are IEM or because they are designed that way. 

here is a good example of what I mean-I'm watching a movie and I hear a laser about to kill someone.  As it slowly approaches I hear its power picking up, the intensity of the laser represented by the powerful high pitch it causes.  The S4 picked this up clearly, while the m50s seemed to present it a bit washed-as if i the laser was not that powerful.  that kinda turned me off.  

That should make more sense then. 

So to recap-the denon 1100 are bassier-more power (are they more accurate?) than the m50? They are closer to the beats, and their overall sound quality is as good or better than the m50s so that I can appreciate classical music just as much as I can enjoy the bass on hip hop/rap.  Is this about correct? 

May 14, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I paid 150 for the m50 and the denon retails 200.  Would you recommend the denon over the m50 at that price point? Would you say its 50 dollars better? Certainly I think the m50s ares ignificantly better than my 20 dollar skullcandys but i wasnt sure if you'd recommend the denon at the price point.  Thanks. 

Hmm. That's a difficult question to answer. IMO strictly IMO that is - I don't think the D1100s are $200 phones. I would pay $150 (maximum) for them. There might be people who might disagree with that but I find their price difficult to swallow especially as the D2000s were retailing around 200-250 few months ago on amazon. 

May 14, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
Also, I find the m50's extremely comfortable.  Some people had problems with it.  I dont.  Would you say the 1100 are as comfortable?

Also, the highs on the s4 were stronger.  I dont know what rolled over means, its just that I could hear them clearer-the best word to describe my experience is powerful.  they were more powerful than the m50s.  I dont know if thats because they are IEM or because they are designed that way. 

here is a good example of what I mean-I'm watching a movie and I hear a laser about to kill someone.  As it slowly approaches I hear its power picking up, the intensity of the laser represented by the powerful high pitch it causes.  The S4 picked this up clearly, while the m50s seemed to present it a bit washed-as if i the laser was not that powerful.  that kinda turned me off.  

That should make more sense then. 

So to recap-the denon 1100 are bassier-more power (are they more accurate?) than the m50? They are closer to the beats, and their overall sound quality is as good or better than the m50s so that I can appreciate classical music just as much as I can enjoy the bass on hip hop/rap.  Is this about correct? 

The D1100s are supremely comfortable. No questions about that.
The D1100s are not as accurate as the M50s (bass is overemphasized) but are fun sounding phones especially if you like image S4s and think M50s are bass shy - I felt exactly the same some time back.
I can't comment on their performance with classical music though - as I don't listen to classical much. But, I would say hip hop / rap songs are more "enjoyable" on the D1100s.

May 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #20 of 28
In that case, I may be inclined to rebuy the m50s-and maybe invest in an amp? Or would buying the x-fi sound card make them better? I know for a fact the x-fi fatality sound card is amazing for gaming-simply becuse I had one until I bouht a new pc and they didnt fit (different connector set). So I could rebuy at a cost of 60 bucks.  

People say that an amp is not cost effective.  I like the m50s bass wise but it could have been better.  Certainly it sounded better with the E5-but the stupid static and background noise really turned me off

May 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #21 of 28
IMO the M50s don't benefit much from an amp but they would definitely sound better with a dedicated DAC / sound card. IMO you should go with the D1100s if possible. Try using them for a few months (since you've already tried the M50s) and if you don't like them you can put them on the FS forum here and get yourself an M50 or upgrade to a better HP.

May 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 28
Not sure I want the 1100...their build bothers me after viewing several youtube videos.  Haha...i sound really picky.  I'm so sorry.

What kind of DAC do you recommend? Or sound card? Is there anything I can get sub 50 dollars (non ebay-I've been burned already by ebay)?

May 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 28
Too late to enter the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro into the race? The 80 ohm version is supposedly the bassiest. Velour earpads so you know the comfort is amazing. I had a few threads of my own to figure the bassiest under $200. After reading many resonses and comparisons, I was led to get the DT-770 Pro 80. I am currently waiting on them to arrive. I don't think you should count them out just yet...

May 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
They look very nice, and I am intrigued, but others have said they are not as bassy as the m50s...please do post up your impressions. 

Quote:
And now that I see you've owned an m50, please compare the two as best you can.  thanks. 

I will report back when I recieve them. From what I have gathered that is incorrect, the DT-770 Pro 80 ohm has much more bass than the M50. Most have said it will sound just fine unamped, but later on I will be getting a better portable amp to get full potential.

May 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #28 of 28
DT770 Pro 80 ohm are indeed a little more bassy than M50 but it's mostly the very deep bass that's stronger, the mid/upper bass only a little. Also I think they need some sort of amping (nothing serious, if you had a good source like Cowon mp3 players for example you might not even need it) or they aren't worth their pricepoint. They have stronger subbass in comparision to mid/upper bass and deep bass is slow/rumbling/soft and mid/upper bass is the punchy/fast type but hiphop uses a lot of slow/deep bass so I don't see a problem there. They have a very good soundstage which should fit well for classical and have a bit emphasized highrange (a bit too much for my liking) but I'd find them very good for movies and gaming too (they are fun due to the big deep bass presence a bit everywhere). But yea I see DT770 Pro/80 ohm as a great candidate for some1 that would want to appriciate both hiphop (the strong deep bass) and classical (laid-back/big soundstage/emphasized treble).

But about the comfort, I can't quite agree on the comfort, for me they clamped my head as hell so had to bend them or else I'd find them crushing my cheekbones. xD

If changing headphone won't do it, then just EQ the headphones, shouldn't need a lot of EQing to get the bass you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back