WTB bassier headphones than ath m50 with better sound quality?
May 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Surag238

Head-Fier

Hey folks, so I just came across a 100 dollar amazon gift certificate and I just returned my m50s because of issues I was having with them.  that said, I now have 250 dollars to spend (instead of 150). 

I was hoping that you could recommend headphones that offer punchy bass (more than m50) without sacrificing music quality, clarity, etc. because I listen to both Rap and classical music in equal numbers.  Also, because I game, having a better soundstage than the m50 would be desirable.

To put things in perspective-I loved the m50 bass, but wished it were punchier.  I also thought the highs and mids sometimes sounded like I was hearing out of a echo chamber-there was some sort of distortion I was not appreciating.  The clarity was missing in other words. 

I also felt that the image s4 offered greater clarity than the m50 and I could hear the highs better with the image s4 than the m50s. 

The image s4s also offered sharper and better highs.

I can't afford an amp with this purchase for now so recommendations need to be based un-amped.  

I want headphones that are closed and over the ears.  250 is my max spending now.  Thanks!!!

May 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 28
Or would you guys just recommend I buy a 100 dollar amp and re-purchase the m50 (from different seller)? 

Also, I hear good things about the hd750-are these great for bass, and provide excellent sound quality?

May 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 28
I've been looking at these, though I'm unsure about them.  What is the difference between the pro (180 bucks) and the stereo (250?)

Also, which ohms is recommended for mp3/pc use? The 80 ohm, 32, 250+? 

And are these bassier than the m50s, with better sound quality? What are their cons? 

May 14, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 28
Just to share my experience,

I had a limited budget as well, but I was thinking that if I spend few hundred here and there by owing couple of headphones, might well as just get one and close the book. So I ended up getting an Audeze LCD2.

What a true bass king it is... :)

then did not stop there,, you have to get the proper amp, cable upgrades, etc. spoiled me.

To conclude, I say with extra $100 you should get Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm if you already have an amp. other wise, stay with 32ohm one.

Cheers,
From CANADA...

May 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 28
DT770 Pro is the bassy version, the non-pro are rather bass-neutral. However these don't have the punchy bass you're looking for, it's the opposite, loose/slow. look into Ultrasone HFI-580 I'd say, possibly Denon D1100 but I think you'd find the HFI-580 to be more "clear" sounding but D1100 would have stronger bass though and is the very punchy type but IMO lacks slightly in bass extension but I prefer even deep and mid/upper bass output so that shouldn't concern you.

May 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
I am not a fan of the construction of the ultrasones.  They get good reviews for sound, but they way the look and are made turns me off.  Any other recommendations?

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but what specifically about the look and construction don't you like? Wouldn't want people to suggest other sets that might run afoul of the dislikes you have. (I'm especially not sure about the "are made" part, to me that sounds like talking about poor fit/finish or something, but they're solid headphones for sure, so not sure if it's something else that's turning you off or if it could just be something that looks bad in pictures.)

May 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 28
The main reason why I dont like it is because it looks like it may fall apart.  Also, it doesnt look as sexy as the m50...I just feel like if I'm paying money for something-that expensive, they should make an effort to make them look good at the very least.  The hinges look very small-like they may come off.  I dunno. Its hard to explain my discomfort with these -even though I have not tried them on.  

Are the Denon1100 significantly inferior to the d2000? Are they closer to the beats than the m50? (i use beats as a default comparison because I've tried them and think they're too bassy but think the m50s could be bassier).

How about the DT 770 pro-are they bassier than the m50? Same question as above.  Thanks.

May 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
The main reason why I dont like it is because it looks like it may fall apart.  Also, it doesnt look as sexy as the m50...I just feel like if I'm paying money for something-that expensive, they should make an effort to make them look good at the very least.  The hinges look very small-like they may come off.  I dunno. Its hard to explain my discomfort with these -even though I have not tried them on.

I certainly can't speak to longevity since I've only had my HFI-580 a week, but they're definitely sturdy. Granted from what I seem to recall M50s are even sturdier (sounds like they're some of the toughest), but these won't up and fall apart on you from what I can see. Presumably if they were prone to breakage there would be more talk of that around here somewhere.

"Sexiness" of course will be in the eye of the beholder; I think they're pretty good-looking with the silver and black look. To me, the M50s look rather plain (which isn't a bad thing, since I usually like the straight black look as it's less eye-catching). No accounting for any of our taste, hehe.

Not that I'm trying to push you toward an Ultrasone or anything (I like mine, but everyone's different and needs to find what they're happiest with), just wanted to see what specifically was bothering you, especially in case any complaint would apply to other potential suggestions. I can understand it being hard to quantify what exactly's the matter, sounds like there's just a little nagging voice in the back of your head. Maybe it means something, maybe not, but its being there is usually enough to kill the enjoyment.

May 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 28

Quote:

Are the Denon1100 significantly inferior to the d2000? Are they closer to the beats than the m50? (i use beats as a default comparison because I've tried them and think they're too bassy but think the m50s could be bassier).

How about the DT 770 pro-are they bassier than the m50? Same question as above.  Thanks.

Yes and Yes. I wouldn't call them inferior but the D1100s are not as accurate as the D2000s. The D1100s do have more bass than the D2000s (but the bass on D2000s is tighter) - so according to your definition they are closer to the beats than M50s. Also, the D1100s (and the D2000s) have slightly rolled off highs and are less sibilant than the M50s. The bass in D1100s sometimes does leak into lower mids imo but is nevertheless punchy enough. If you think the highs on image S4s are better (which are slightly rolled over imo), I'm sure you'd love the Denon line. I personally am very sensitive to sharp treble and found the M50s to be a bit sibilant. So, I chose the Denon line and have never looked back. I'll be getting a D5000 soon
L3000.gif

May 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 28
Thanks for the input, I paid 150 for the m50 and the denon retails 200.  Would you recommend the denon over the m50 at that price point? Would you say its 50 dollars better? Certainly I think the m50s ares ignificantly better than my 20 dollar skullcandys but i wasnt sure if you'd recommend the denon at the price point.  Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back