Wow! Sansa Fuze- color me impressed- Fuze appreciation thread
Sep 24, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #571 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ upstateguy

You push a pair of 880's and 650's with the FUZE HP out !!!!!!!!!!?????????

Never mind, this is the new me.

Dear Woody,

Here's what happened. I was listening to my Fuze with my DT880s soon after I bought it. I had it plugged into a Portaphile V2 Maxxed at the time and just for kicks I decided to see what would happen if I plugged the notoriously hard to drive DT880s directly into the Fuze. To my great astonishment, the Fuze was much louder than the level I was listening to from the amp. In a moment of clarity, I realized it was silly to use an amplifier as an attenuator so I unplugged the amp, lowered the volume on the Fuze and have used it that way ever since.

Warmest Regards

USG

Sure, as a rule I don't listen very loudly from any of my amps, although I mostly use PK2s when I go portable with the Fuze.

Heck, my old MobieBlu could play the 650s and 880s and it sounded better than any earbuds that were around at the time.
beyersmile.png

Are you saying your Fuze can't do that?

You don't live so far away, maybe you can make it down to the next NY meet and I'll demo it for you.
darthsmile.gif

USG

Edit: I just ran a quick check for you. I'm listening to internet radio with my GS-1 and 650s. An equivalent volume level on the Fuze would be approximately 70% of Max.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #573 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what is so wonderful about this hobby. Once you turn a deaf ear to the thousands who would like to disagree with you, you can sit, alone with your opinion.

But Woody, you don't have to sit alone with your opinion, you can pop down to the next NY meet and I can demo the effect for you......

Heck I can even arrange a blind test with you as the subject, using a respected amp like the Hornet and your own 650s.

I'm betting that you won't be able to tell the difference, at low volumes, without seeing which one your listening to.....
beerchug.gif

USG

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #574 of 767
Ok peoples, does no one else notice the massively recessed rear soundstage inherit in the Fuze?

That's my only real gripe about it.
I could of got an AMP3 but that's majorly picky earphone wise = crap design IMO.

left to right soundstage is fantastic in the fuze, but really the rear (depth) soundstage sucks. Who agrees? It's very apparent with background instruments / backing vocals.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #575 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok peoples, does no one else notice the massively recessed rear soundstage inherit in the Fuze?

I could of got an AMP3 but that's majorly picky earphone wise = crap design IMO.

left to right soundstage is fantastic in the fuze, but really the rear (depth) soundstage sucks. Who agrees? It's very apparent with background instruments / backing vocals.

Sorta, I feel that it's a bit flatter, less layered. Not bad by any means, I think that it helps with Grados by pushing the soundstage away. Not as exciting, but sometimes I like that.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #576 of 767
Quote:

Hi CK

I could use some more information so I can try to replicate the conditions under which you are listening.

Are you saying that the depth of the soundstage sucks relative to what you hear from your computer HD>DAC>Amp? If so, what are the components you are using and are you using USB or optical/coaxial? If using USB, how are you doing the conversion?

What components are you using with the Fuze or is it just the HPO and are you using the battery or AC adapter?

What track would you suggest for hearing the maximum effect of what you reported and what bit rate did you use?

An interesting aside is this: I had a mini meet with a fellow audiophile last Sunday. The focus was to compare the line out of his "new" internet radio to my laptop w/foobar. We used my 650s and 880s, GS-1, Pico DAC and HP laptop and his Sangean radio. We listened to to Bartok radio at 320, Avro Baroque at 256 and Avro Festival at 256. We couldn't tell the difference between the two sources, which surprised me completely.

But that was not the really interesting part of the mini meet. I had Ramsey Lewis' "The in Crowd" on my HD in PCM, flac, and 256VBR, so we gave them a listen too. There was a clear, unmistakable difference between flac and PCM and of course, 256VBR came in noticeably last....

Now here's the interesting thing: When I got home I plugged everything in and tried it again, this time with the laptop running on AC.....

There was NO Difference between PCM and flac and I'd be very hard pressed to say that there was a difference btn flac and 256VBR while running on AC.

The reason I bring this up is that if a very little thing like AC power or battery can make a big difference in what I heard, it's important to know as many of the details and conditions surrounding what you heard as possible.

Take Care,

USG

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #577 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi CK

I could use some more information so I can try to replicate the conditions under which you are listening.

Are you saying that the depth of the soundstage sucks relative to what you hear from your computer HD>DAC>Amp?

Asus Essence STX (2 x LT1057 opamps in I/V, LM4562 buffer) --> Rockhopper M3 --> DT880/600

Quote:

What components are you using with the Fuze or is it just the HPO and are you using the battery or AC adapter?

Just via the HPO.

Quote:

What track would you suggest for hearing the maximum effect of what you reported and what bit rate did you use?

The spoken introduction of Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg's 'Deep Cover' when the two guys are talknig and one accuses the other of being '5-0' is good. It's very recessed. Vorbis @ ~246.1 kbps [-q7.69] (i.e. non-audible difference between it and FLAC tbh).

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #578 of 767
Quote:

Asus Essence STX (2 x LT1057 opamps in I/V, LM4562 buffer) --> Rockhopper M3 --> DT880/600

Just via the HPO.

The spoken introduction of Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg's 'Deep Cover' when the two guys are talknig and one accuses the other of being '5-0' is good. It's very recessed. Vorbis @ ~246.1 kbps [-q7.69] (i.e. non-audible difference between it and FLAC tbh).

What opamps are in the M^3?

I'm jealous over the 880 600ohmers, I only have 250s.

Let's see if I am understanding you correctly? It is recessed relative to listening to it with the same rig but from you HD? Are the differences btn the Vorbis and flac audible from your HD?

Does "recessed" mean it sounds further back as in deeper into the soundstage, less volume at the same depth of soundstage, less volume with collapsed sound stage or something else?

Try with power connector plugged into the Fuze to see if it makes a difference.

Sending you a PM.

USG

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #582 of 767
Well I've been listening to the fuze for around 4 hours now, if I had to describe the sound in 1 word it would be 'sweet'. It's just really nice to listen to, quite refined and snappy but silky smooth too. The top end is lovely, being crisp and natural without any digital nastiness.

One thing I'm noticing is the fuze is sounding a bit shy, some more impact and drive would be nice. May be this will change with a few more hours on the clock.

Without scrolling back 39 pages does running in the fuze effect the sound at all?

smile.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #583 of 767
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've been listening to the fuze for around 4 hours now, if I had to describe the sound in 1 word it would be 'sweet'. It's just really nice to listen to, quite refined and snappy but silky smooth too. The top end is lovely, being crisp and natural without any digital nastiness.

One thing I'm noticing is the fuze is sounding a bit shy, some more impact and drive would be nice. May be this will change with a few more hours on the clock.

Without scrolling back 39 pages does running in the fuze effect the sound at all?

smile.gif

Hi Neeley

What phones-buds are you using, are they new and how loud are you listening?

Are you listening from battery power or USB/AC converter?

Have you tried the FM section?

Is yours a V1 or a V2?

No run in necessary.
dt880smile.png

Regards

USG

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #585 of 767
I'd forgotten how GOOOD these sound (especially at price !!)

had one before but sent it back after the volume between tracks bug scared the wits out of me (now fixed by firmware)

sounds a LOT better than my IPOD Touch 2G with Senn PX100s - a lot better indeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back