WOW, last night I experienced great PAIN
Dec 19, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #31 of 65
Go find another doctor if you think this one isn't treating you right! But don't stop seeing doctors!!!

It's hard to make diagnoses on these kinds of disorders, yes, and the way these medicines work is not completely clear, but at least they have clear statistical data showing that a lot of people taking them did get better (placebo effect already accounted for).

I'm on my 3rd/4th type of medication (don't remember) now and this one is here to stay--really stabilized my situation, Cipram did.

I went through Zoloft and one or two others--couldn't really get up to a working dose because of the side effects, and I ended up in the hospital, psychiatry section, after a particularly unsuitable medication (dunno why, maybe it was an old type of antidepressant with too many side-effects) and a particularly stressing first semester
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

They finally convinced me to give it another try--taking Cipram, and they monitored my situation for 2 weeks, and finally I got a lot better. Phew!

I think getting to see a psychologist for REAL counselling sessions (they talk to you for an hour) as well instead of just a psychiatrist (who only knows to hand out medicine) really helps too.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 19, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #32 of 65
In addition to the advice listed above about consulting with another physician and working with a psycholgist, it would probably be very helpful to talk with a pharmacist who specializes in the management of patients with psychiatric disorders.

You've discovered first hand the effects of improper medication selection. Makes a lot of sense to talk to some folks who's main job is the understanding of medications and their use in folks with these types of diseases. Psychiatrists can be excellent sources of information on medication. But, as a group, they do not generally display the knowledge and depth of understanding of the pharmacology and of the interactions that can take place with medications as a pharmacist who specializes in the management of patients with these disorders.

Just like not all physicians have the competancy to deal with all medical issues, not all pharmacists have the competancy to deal with all medication issues.... don't expect a regular, joeblow pharmacist at CVS or KMart (Safeway, Savon, Ralphs, Giant, whatever) to be able to go into detail with you about the best medicine choices available to you. See one that specializes in this area.

Like it or not, the understanding of medical disorders is NOT an exact science. Not all medications work in all patients. The reason there are many different SSRIs and different antidepressants available is that some people do not respond well to some of these medicines. Many times, it really can be a process of trial and error.... trying different medications to see which ones work best for your specific malady and cause the fewest side effects. Other times, by obtaining a careful history, doing a lot of digging into your diet, your supplement use, past responses to medications, family history, behavior patterns, the pharmacist can help make recommendations the increase the likelihood of finding the most successful medication for you.

Bruce

Dec 19, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
So what are you whining about, you're a college type right--intelligent and all that right? So you had a problem and now you're condemning all Psycologists?
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

maybe you should go get skin cancer or whatever it is you island people do. a man has an extremely adverse effect to medication and this is all you can say about it? even i have more tact.

this thread's replies have gone from serious and reasonable to ignorant and offensive. it's really pretty pathetic considering the amount of doctors and other professionals i know frequent this site.

if i was taking a drug and had a reaction like ai0tron described, i too would be very freaked out and afraid to go back to a doctor of psychology. i understand his situation and i don't think that it's way off target. however, i don't think that prozactruth website is a realiable source of information. i didn't really read much of it, but the first thing that grabbed me is the ugliness of the website. even non-profit organizations have decent looking websites. secondly, upong checking their whois:
Quote:

[size=xx-small]Registrant:
net reach international (PROZACTRUTH-DOM)
PMB 543
2608 West Kenosha
Broken Arrow
OK,74012
US

Domain Name: PROZACTRUTH.COM

Administrative Contact:
harper, james (JH25406) prozactruth@MSN.COM
harper consulting
1303 n central suite f
glendale, CA 91202
US
[/size]

it doesn't really sound like it's owned by any sort of company or organization that i'd feel confident in rallying behind. this feels like one of those situations where, the parents did a ****ty job and somebody killed themselves and they blame anybody but themselves ("devil worshiping bands/music", violent movies, video games, etc.) and start websites to "prove" it. their e-mail is even hosted by msn.

this opinion of mine does not take away from the fact that ai0tron had a very unfortunate experience with a drug that i *know* has had positive reactions in many, many cases. i'm sorry that it did not work out for you, but i really hope that you do not condone this as an act of terrorism on the behalf of doctors of psychology everywhere. they are trying to help, but they cannot always be right. i imagine that you went to a clinic or place somewhere on your college campus for this treatment? this may not be the best place to go to. i imagine that you're having finals this time of year and i'm sure that your stress level was near bursting as it is, the drugs may have been a bad catalyst for all of that pressure. and boy, if i had to live in georgia, i'd need something heftier than prozac to keep me from offing myself.

i would suggest attempting to lookup a local psych of some kind when you go home for the holidays. a true professional with a lot of experience will be able to help you with your situation. i'd also calmly attempt to describe your history with prozac. after all, drug treatment may not be right for you, you may just need a vacation and some low-key therapy instead.

i hope that you feel better in these coming weeks. may Torgon be with you.

Dec 19, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #34 of 65
Sorry to hear about your reaction. that truly sucks. Maybe your one of those .01 percent that just shouldn't take it. Well, if you feel okay now. Then that's that. I suffered from depression all my life. I never could understand how people were ****ing happy. I alway felt low and everyone was having a great time. I was put on Prozac. It gave me a speed buzz for a week. That started to fade so I supplimented the high with cheap Sangria. Good for another week! One of the most fun times I've had. wrote and entire comedy (screenplay). Then my body "adjusted" , I lost the buzz and I quit taking it. (too ****ing expensive).

My depression. Went on for another three years. Fell in love. Got a broken heart. Screwed over big time by an adulteress. Sat in my room raging at the world for 6 months. Bought a computer. Didn't talk to people for another six months (but at least was entertained). Call it a breakdown, whatever, I came out of it an angrier person. Odd thing is that I now I no longer get depressed, I just get angry. Some might say I should "seek counciling" to "deal with my anger". Well, I ain't murdering people, and being pissed off is just fine with me. Rather be pissed than depressed. Happy happy, joy joy. For those people who are blessed with "happy chemistry", lucky you. You have no idea what it's like. Depression is the worst. I've also had anxiety attacks (when my baby son died) and part of your reaction sounded like that. An anxiety attack on speed? Yeah, that would suck.

Hang in there AiOtron. One day it will break. If you want to be angry at your bad reaction, do it. But it ain't worth dwelling on for too long. Let me leave you with this thought, the stupidier your are, the happier you are. Tell me you haven't noticed that?

Dec 19, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #36 of 65
First of all I appreciate the people who are able to understand. Yesterday I was very much "out of it" I was still "high" on the drug and I still am today although less so. So perhaps many of the things I said should be ignored or at least toned down.

Why am I whining?? Well, I can't fully explain it. I have some Prozac here if you want to try it.

I still think this hit and miss method of prescribing drugs is ridiculously irresponsible.

Dec 20, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #37 of 65
The brain is really weird, isn't it...

Quote:

I have gone through a few psychiatrists....some were really quacks. Same with psychologists. I have to travel 80 miles round trip to see my psychologist. I trust her. Good ones are few and far between.

Seconded. Think for yourself - don't let either an incompetent and/or lazy doctor nor any websites with no real medical background and/or ulterior motives blindly lead you around. To many doctors, you're just another patient - and, as I suspect, to sites like ProzacTruth you're a source of income.

Dec 20, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #38 of 65
ai0tron -

First let me say that I am not a medical professional. Nor do I purport to know the ins-and-outs of all your symptoms, or the drugs you were prescribed. But I do know a bit about depression, anxiety,and nervous breakdowns. The latter is a condition that I experienced first hand during a specific time in my life. While the former are feelings, and symptoms which remain as subtle and occasional reminders of my past ordeals. Although I have never taken any drugs for relief during those times, I do wonder if one of them would have helped me thru some of my lowest of low moments.

In any event, what I want to really say is that I understand how isolating those feelings can be. And while sometimes all you want is someone to understand what you are going thru, you are simultaneously paralyzed in so many ways. If this board serves as one possible mechanism of reaching out to someone in the middle of the night when you think all the world is asleep and only you are experiencing what you are going thru, then that is ok with me. If you need to post, chat, or even call someone on this board to get thru those moments, by all means do it.

I am no doctor, but it appears that there is no shortage of fellow head-fiers who have had similiar experiences from which to draw our empathy. I/we in this headphone community can offer a degree of human contact that allows all of us to know we are not alone in this ****ty, wonderful, crappy, awesome existence we all share.

Chin up, bro! We are in this together.

-j

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #39 of 65
Hey, aiOtron, i'm a little worried that you may not have discussed your symptoms and your feelings if not to a doctor at least to a family member or friend or anyone else who can provide you with guidance and or support directly...Head-fi has a lot of good people but we're not in a position to help you through a crisis first hand...obviously you had a bad crisis that needs immediate attention from someone who's right there with you to help...

Dec 20, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #40 of 65
I wouldn't be alive today to post this if I wasn't taking SRI medications.
Sorry to hear about what you went through. Sounds like it really sucked. Hang in there.

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd R
ai0tron,
Ask your doctor to switch you to "Celexa". It works, and has very few side effects (for me).

You have to try different medications to see which one your body agrees with.

i have been on ssri's and maio inhibitors of all sorts for about 10 years. i tried them all, including prozac, disiprimine, imiprimine, st john's wort, etc. etc. st john's wort worked when my symptoms were small, but i finally tried celexa after seasonal depression started to eat at me. my doctor had to talk me into it, because i hated all the antidepressants i had tried, especially prozac. after the first 2 weeks of jaw tension and headaches, it started to work. it is the first antidepressant i've tried that i can actually live with. my wife says i laugh a lot more now, and work doesn't seem so overwhelming.

my point is, if one treatment doesnt work, try another. someimes just changing the doseage can make a big difference. the first couple weeks on any new medication are full of unpleasant side effects, but once you find one you can tolerate it can make a huge difference.

also, drinking while taking ssri's can cause bad reactions.

Dec 21, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #42 of 65
I am stunned to see how many have had similar problems like mine. And are willing to even mention it. And to share for those in need.

No wonder this is a good group.

Dec 21, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #43 of 65
Yes, indeed -- this thread really does show a whole lot about the community we've all built here. Good luck, ai0tron. There is an upside -- you have hundreds if not thousands of Head-Fiers here that are more than happy to pitch in some words of encouragement and honest-to-goodness friendly spirit.

Dec 22, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #44 of 65
It also shows what a sad, maladjusted lot us audiophiles are
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 22, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #45 of 65
No wonder you guys like headphones. You're too screwy in the head to go outside, so you just stay inside and listen to headphones all day.

And now I grasp the reason you guys are so in love with finding the best equipment. Can anyone say OCD?

I'm just joking guys so please don't get offended. You have to be screwy in the head to be an audionut like us.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back