Would you wear full sized headphones with a coiled cable in public?
Jul 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sherrybearlove

New Head-Fier
JUST order the ATH M50s for $90 off of ebay (the seller had 100% positive feedback too and seemed to develop a rep selling M50's). First pair of headphones over $50 and I mainly bought them for the sound, design, and "portability". However, I've never seen anyone with a coiled cable in public before and I'm starting to wonder if it was a bad idea. xD Just wondering, has anyone worn a full size headphone w/ coiled cable in public before and how was your experience? :p

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 32
Heya,

I run the cable down the collar of my shirt, under the shirt, into my pocket to my portable setup. I don't care what the cable looks like.

Then again, I don't care if people see I'm wearing big cables and headphones. I like it. The only thing I won't wear in public is a badly designed, ugly, headphone. Like Sony XB series. Otherwise, get out there and represent.

Very best,

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 32
I have..you just stick the coil portion in you pocket.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 32
It depends what you doing and where you going as long you love the sound dont worry about other people. 

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 32
The first pair of headphones I bought after discovering head-fi was a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro with a 6 foot long coiled cable.   I wore it commuting on the DC Metro for a few weeks before I bought an IEM.  It was a real pain because of the length of the cable.  If I didn't put it in a pocket, it hung down to near my ankles.  It was really too much to put in my pocket too.

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 32
These are apparently 3-4 feet long with the cord completely coiled. I don't think the length would matter, but rather the fact that I have a telephone cord hanging from my neck. :p And alright guys, I'll just enjoy them and not care about what other people think. :)

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
Heya,

I run the cable down the collar of my shirt, under the shirt, into my pocket to my portable setup. I don't care what the cable looks like.

Then again, I don't care if people see I'm wearing big cables and headphones. I like it. The only thing I won't wear in public is a badly designed, ugly, headphone. Like Sony XB series. Otherwise, get out there and represent.

Very best,

x2

Odd looking cables would be a great conversation starter

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 32
Life's too short to really care one way or the other. If it makes you feel less self conscious I usually only laugh at men that wear girl pants.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
These are apparently 3-4 feet long with the cord completely coiled. I don't think the length would matter, but rather the fact that I have a telephone cord hanging from my neck. :p And alright guys, I'll just enjoy them and not care about what other people think. :)

It's just the bottom half that's coiled.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 32
Uhm, I don't see the problem? The straight portion of the cable is quite long goes well below your waist. If you keep the coiled part in your pocket, nobody will ever know you even have a coiled cable.

Looks like ates beat me to it :)

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #14 of 32
I used the M50 coiled version myself during school hours (in high school), and only as a freshman. Currently use HD25s now (for even more portability + ruggedness cause I HATE scratches, + I like the sound better despite less soundstage), but I'm sure you won't have problems. Even people in high school use (albeit crappy) headphones and I'm pretty sure people won't care besides the fact maybe they'll point out they look large as hell.  If you're like ~5'10" or less, the straight part of the cable is long enough to just tuck the coiled part into the pocket, and may be even so for even higher statures (as if I remember correctly, the coiled part extended another like.. ~6 inches below my waist, and I'm ~5'8")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back