Would you use your Custom IEM for street use?
Apr 7, 2011 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

canonlp

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering how many people use their Custom IEM's for everyday listening? Whether it be on the bus, subway, walking or biking... I want to know!
Is it comfortable? Do people look at you funny? Any tips/experiences that you want to share?

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 24
I don't have custom like You have mentioned, but I walk with My over the ear Grado's all the time except when it's pouring or a blizzard. I do not care what people think how I look, I'm just enjoying My music at a comfortable listening level. And Yes I have been told I look like an Alien, do I care, Nah, I just Love My Music!  
atsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 24
I do use my customs for everyday listening, including on public transports. They may attract some attention every now and then but frankly speaking, most people don't give a damn. They are definitely more comfortable and help to block out excessive noise from motorbikes etc.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
I thought the whole reason to having any iems was portability? Why wouldn't you use them on the street....

Generally, yes, if you are going for one pair... however, when you have more than one... you tend to be a little bit more picky and choosey (in a bad way). For example, while I CAN go out with my Sony MDR-EX1000, I will preferably not do so because isolation is so poor compared to my other IEMs.

In terms of custom IEMs though, I probably wouldn't bring it outside either... until I theoretically master the art of removing them extremely quickly and putting them back in equally as quickly.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 24
I use my customs in public transportation such as bus, subway, and just general outdoor use just fine. Every once in a while I get a what is that thing but nothing out of the ordinary.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 24
I thought the whole reason to having any iems was portability? Why wouldn't you use them on the street....

Haha yes that is true, I just have this conception that custom IEM's are an expensive piece of gear and has to be treated very carefully. Thus using it on the streets may not be quite suitable for some.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

Haha yes that is true, I just have this conception that custom IEM's are an expensive piece of gear and has to be treated very carefully. Thus using it on the streets may not be quite suitable for some.

I always thought that being cased in by acrylic would improve its durability compared to the rest of the IEMs. Of course, that doesn't mean you should do anything extreme with them and I most definitely wouldn't consider doing sports in case my sweat seeps into the shells. Walking and traveling with them should be fine, especially with the nice isolation they offer as well.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 24
I don't make it habit (especially now that I have the Shure 215), but I have and do use it on public occasionally. Actually, I get less strange looks with the custom 1964-Q in my ears than with the clear 215 or SM2 - where people can see the electronics  in the shell.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
I use my customs in public transportation such as bus, subway, and just general outdoor use just fine. Every once in a while I get a what is that thing but nothing out of the ordinary.

Lol people actually ask you out of the blue? 

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 24
when i get my $1800 JH3A custom IEM rig you better believe i'm gonna haul it with me everywhere i go.  for that kinda money im gonna suck every moment of enjoyment out of them as possible :wink:.

the whole reason i bought this rig is so i could use it more!

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 24
That's the way I'm thinking. Why buy something so small if you aren't going to use them in a portable setting? You could have bought full size cans. Anyways if my customs from 1964 ears ever arrive they will be 100% portable use...biggies when I don't need to move.

Quote:
when i get my $1800 JH3A custom IEM rig you better believe i'm gonna haul it with me everywhere i go.  for that kinda money im gonna suck every moment of enjoyment out of them as possible :wink:.

the whole reason i bought this rig is so i could use it more!

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 24
My custom ACS T1s are all I ever use for when I am out and about and in the office. I love the isolation they provide, but you do have to make sure you are 100% alert to what is going on around you. Also with that level of isolation, its a weird feeling to see the world go on around you while you are 100% cocooned in your music.
Wearing them in the office is the only pain, as people keep insisting on talking to me and I have to spend a few seconds digging them out of my ears...although I do have that down to a fine art now lol

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 24
It's a nice sunny day today so I walked into work while listening to my ACS T1s. The silicon is very comfortable and the isolation is great. They might look a bit like hearing aids but that might work in my favour as the local chavs might decide not to verbally abuse me.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back