Would you pay $75 for Skullcandy Aviators?
Nov 30, 2010 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mmorby

New Head-Fier
My wife wants some over the ear cans for home listening. She works for an Apple reseller and gets Skullcandy stuff at half off, so she could snag some Aviators for $75ish. I recently picked up some HD-280 Pros for home listening and isolation for playing my Roland TD8 drums (I scored the HD-280s for $40 new in box listed in the local classifieds!). She likes the Sennheisers, except for the fit being too tight for her, causing discomfort over extended listening periods... and I think she thinks the Sennheisers are ugly 
rolleyes.gif

IMHO, nothing Skullcandy has is worth $150, but would $75 be worth jumping on, or should I look for something else better in the $75 price range? Aesthetics are important to her, which is a big reason why she was drawn to the Aviators.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 32
Take a look at the Creative aurvana live, they look good (imo)...and under $75. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 32
She would pretty much be using them while working from home in the evenings. Come to think of it, I'm sure she would take them to work too, since she listens to a lot of music there. She would be listening through either the computer or her ipod, or possibly vinyl through our old pioneer belt drive / kenwood receiver. She listens mainly to newer underground indie stuff, especially some noisier "headphone" artists like Animal Collective, Tame Impala, Here We Go Magic, Beach House, Deerhunter, etc. She also listens to older rock (she's a Beatles fiend), and a little hip hop. She's definitely an "indie" girl to a T.

I get the feeling she won't really like the Creatives, but I'll show them to her.

Are the Aviators not worth even $75?

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 32
Maybe...if they were sunglasses.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 32
The Aviators don't sound completely offensive, at least from my 2 minute audition at an apple store.  But there's certainly better for that money.  But if it's jewelery, then it's in the eye of the beholder. 

Show her these:

Creative Aurvana live
Denon D1001
used athM50
used Audio Technica ESW9

There must be other good looking phones out there.  But I bet she would love the Audio Technica woodies, and they are on-ear so they would probably be good with glasses?

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 32
Also worth considering are the Audio Technica ES7s. They look nice, sound enjoyable for most genres IMO, and should be somewhere close in that price range.

Haven't heard the Aviators though, so I can't make any comparisons.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 32
I personally would love to be able to snag a set of Aviators for $75. From what I've read they're actually good (surprising from Skullcandy). If she decides she doesn't like them for some reason she could always just put them on eBay and even make a couple bucks.

P.S. Get me a pair too  :)  lol

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 32
HAVE HER GET THE SHURES THA APPLE STORES SELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back