Would like to have your opinions I need a new Headphone sounding like Orpheus but more bass/ dynamics in the low end
May 12, 2011 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ttako

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Several years ago I had to sell my Orpheus headphones, however I did like the sound of it so much...
The only thing I missed from it was the dinamics in the low end... (I usually would need more bass, as I felt it was a bit lacking low end)
I have a Studio, and I would also use the new Headphones to check my mixes but also to listen to my favorite CDs...
I like Jazz, Funky, Pop, Blues, World music etc.
I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser HD800, but then again after trying it, I felt it doesnt have the bass I need, and it had not enough resolution (relative to the Orpheus)
So now I am considering the STAX electrostats or the HE-6 /LCD-2 magentostats...
The only Problem is, I dont have the possibility here in Hungary to try any STAX or HE-6 / LCD-2 headphones....
Any suggestion?
Or is there any other potential Headphone, I also have to consider ?

Thanks,

Tamas Tako

May 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 19
Yes,

This exactly is the question :)

Well I dont have personal experience with the Stax headphones nor with the magnetostats... Tough I have a good source fo Sennheiser headphones, but they does not produce the Orpheus any more...
However I am open to any other suggestions other than these :)

Thanks,

Tamas

May 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 19
You might have better luck in the high-end forum...while the LCD-2s and HE-6s are nice, I don't know that they're quite on par with the HE-60/90, and most of the Stax talk goes on in the high-end circle.

May 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 19
LCD-2 > HD800 IMO, more bass and a MASSIVE sound stage and still maintain the rich midrange and smooth and detailed Highend.

May 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 19
I would say, after listening to both, your best bet would be the stax omega 2. I felt that they had just as much resolution and refinement as the he90, but with a lot stronger bottom end.

May 13, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 19
Yes, an Omega II, Mk. 1 would probably be a good fit. I actually listened to them next to a HE90 at a meet and think you'd enjoy them.

One nice thing about the Omega II is that if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid. You'll lose a little on shipping, but it's a great headphone that would make you happy.

Also, what kind of amp do you have or plan to use?

May 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for your advices,

I see I will need to find a Stax omega II mk1 and maybe also an LCD-2....

I also have o look for a good amp for the LCD-2, however what I dont know, which one from the magnetos (the LCD or the HE-5 or 500 or 6 ) would be my best choiche?!
I dont know what is the needed voltage for the driving, becouse I did plan to buile a special amplifier maybe for it (a full class A discrete based on the famous LD amp)

Cheers,

Tamas

May 13, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:Originally Posted by Uncle Erik 

"Yes, an Omega II, Mk. 1 would probably be a good fit. I actually listened to them next to a HE90 at a meet and think you'd enjoy them.

One nice thing about the Omega II is that if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid. You'll lose a little on shipping, but it's a great headphone that would make you happy.

Also, what kind of amp do you have or plan to use?"

Weird, I also listened to the Omega II and Orpheus back to back at a meet and came away with a different impression. The amp was the Woo WES just to further clarify. I wasn't overly impressed with the O2. However, the HE90 was extremely impressive. The latest planar headphones don't quite reach the level of the Orpheus but do really well in my opinion and get close. Except for soundstaging.

The LCD2 probably has the best balance of bass definition, extension and impact I've heard from a headphone. The HE6 is close but offers better staging and more prominent highs. Pick your poison.

I know nothing of the new Stax flagship but that may be an option also.

May 13, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Uncle Erik 

"Yes, an Omega II, Mk. 1 would probably be a good fit. I actually listened to them next to a HE90 at a meet and think you'd enjoy them.

Also, what kind of amp do you have or plan to use?"

Weird, I also listened to the Omega II and Orpheus back to back at a meet and came away with a different impression. The amp was the Woo WES just to further clarify. I wasn't overly impressed with the O2. However, the HE90 was extremely impressive. The latest planar headphones don't quite reach the level of the Orpheus but do really well in my opinion and get close. Except for soundstaging.

The LCD2 probably has the best balance of bass definition, extension and impact I've heard from a headphone. The HE6 is close but offers better staging and more prominent highs. Pick your poison.

I know nothing of the new Stax flagship but that may be an option also.

MK1 or MK2?

May 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 19
The LCD2 sounds absolutely nothing like the HE90.  He wants a headphone similar to the HE90 with more bass.  Not a headphone that specializes in bass.  The tone of the two headphones is very different, the HE90 has a WAY bigger soundstage than the LCD2, and is also much faster/more resolving.  The HE6 is a better suggestion in this case.  I think the Stax SR Omega sounds pretty similar to the HE90 overall but has a little more bass.  I'm not sure it'll have quite enough bass for you but it is probably the most similar headphone there is to the Orpheus.  The Omega is out of production and difficult to find though.  The O2 has considerably more bass than these but doesn't really sound like the HE90 aside from the speed/resolution aspect.

May 14, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:Originally Posted by wind016 

"MK1 or MK2?"

I'm not sure. I will say based on my short time with both I didn't find the both of them similar. It was El_doug's rig so if anyone knows if he had the MK1 or MK2 that would help.

May 14, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
The LCD2 sounds absolutely nothing like the HE90.  He wants a headphone similar to the HE90 with more bass.  Not a headphone that specializes in bass.  The tone of the two headphones is very different, the HE90 has a WAY bigger soundstage than the LCD2, and is also much faster/more resolving.  The HE6 is a better suggestion in this case.  I think the Stax SR Omega sounds pretty similar to the HE90 overall but has a little more bass.  I'm not sure it'll have quite enough bass for you but it is probably the most similar headphone there is to the Orpheus.  The Omega is out of production and difficult to find though.  The O2 has considerably more bass than these but doesn't really sound like the HE90 aside from the speed/resolution aspect.

Do you think he will be happy with SR009?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back