Worth it to significantly cut down on number of headphones?
Sep 5, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #16 of 32
      Quote:
You'll have to let us know what you think of each! I'm interested in knowing which is your favorite.

I want to love the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 because I've always had a soft spot for Beyers (as you can see, I owned the DT770/600, DT880/600, DT990/600), but I have a feeling that I'm going to like the Grados the best simply because of how well suited they are for rock, and that's the primary genre I listen to.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
Yes, I thought it was worth selling off headphones to get a better one.  I was not planning to buy the HD-800 last year since I thought it was overhyped and not worth the money.  But that was before I got a chance to listen to them.  After some thought, I cleared out quite a few of my headphones and put them towards a HD-800 and an O2 Mk. 1 that came up.  It was a good decision and I've been happy with it for over a year.

In a few months, I think I'll be doing it again.  I need a little more money to knock off the"final" (and, boy I hope it is) speaker setup and put the rest towards a JH13 as the "final" portable setup.

So if you can pull this off, it might put a stake in the heart of upgraditis for you.  It did for me - I used to buy full-sized headphones left and right but haven't picked up anything since the O2.  It's nice to see a little light at the end of the tunnel, knowing that you're almost done with a setup.

You are making it sound like a struggle, rather then anything else.

You are supposed to enjoy the ride, not feel lame along the way.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
Is it worth selling my DT770, DT880, DT990 (all 600 ohm's) for T1's?

Also planning on selling my HD650 with Cardas cables for HD800's.

Do you guys think it's worth it?

I'am sure you must have heard the HD 650's witheout the Cardas Cable, what do you feel.cable price worth.

Not then get the HD 800's.

About the T1's definetly get them , they are far more superior and refined then the others, what would you do with 3 mid-fi headphones, get 1 hi-fi headphone.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
Pulled the trigger and bought the Sennheiser HD 800's, Beyerdynamic Tesla T1's, and Grado RS1i.

That's just nuts.
tongue_smile.gif

Congrats...all are great cans!

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
Pulled the trigger and bought the Sennheiser HD 800's, Beyerdynamic Tesla T1's, and Grado RS1i.

Currently, I'm searching for some cans to help round out my collection, if any.

Bravo!  My 3 favorite headphones.  If you can afford them without financial strain, I think you made a wise choice.  (If you are like me, you will not use any of the other headphones - give it a few days/weeks to be sure and sell most of the rest.) 

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #21 of 32
Not to be a joy killer but you could perhaps drop one of the dynamics for an Audeze LCD-2. T1 didn´t really improve that much on my other dynamics. the LCD-2 sure did.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #22 of 32
I'd love to do that, I definitely have the money to do it, but the thing is, Paypal went and permanently locked my account, so I can't order it unless they take Google Checkout or something.

Quote:
Not to be a joy killer but you could perhaps drop one of the dynamics for an Audeze LCD-2. T1 didn´t really improve that much on my other dynamics. the LCD-2 sure did.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #23 of 32
Go ahead and sell and buy, if you haven't already. Just keep the cans you really, really love and sell the ones that are ok, but you find lacking, and try another set. That is the greatness of our hobby.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #24 of 32
Damn expensive hobby at that :p

Could've went out and went on vacation with the money I dropped on headphones this weekend, lol.

Quote:
Go ahead and sell and buy, if you haven't already. Just keep the cans you really, really love and sell the ones that are ok, but you find lacking, and try another set. That is the greatness of our hobby.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #25 of 32
Congrats on the cans! I have to say I'm pretty jealous. I'm kind of in the same boat headphone wise. I'll have to do an extensive comparison before I make a final decision just to make sure. Looking forward to hearing some impressions and comparisons of those great cans. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #27 of 32
First comes the excitement of getting your new headphones(including the rush of placing the order or sending paypal).  Then the euphoria of a new sound and new details or soundstage or whatever these new toys bring to the table comes on.    Then...whats this?  You hear the rumblings about the newest, latest, greatest and subsequently more expensive cans.  You start to doubt that your current can is as "good" as the newcomer.  Everybody is posting about how great they are and what an improvement they make etc etc.   After posting a new "SHOULD I UPGRADE?" threads and getting feedback from the community you decide to go for it and start the cycle all over again.   The audio hamster wheel goes round and round.   

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
First comes the excitement of getting your new headphones(including the rush of placing the order or sending paypal).  Then the euphoria of a new sound and new details or soundstage or whatever these new toys bring to the table comes on.    Then...whats this?  You hear the rumblings about the newest, latest, greatest and subsequently more expensive cans.  You start to doubt that your current can is as "good" as the newcomer.  Everybody is posting about how great they are and what an improvement they make etc etc.   After posting a new "SHOULD I UPGRADE?" threads and getting feedback from the community you decide to go for it and start the cycle all over again.   The audio hamster wheel goes round and round.   

We have been warned, yet we persist.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #30 of 32
Volume, it really is a struggle after awhile. You can continue to accumulate, but how much of it do you really use? If you have 20 pairs, you don't get the full value from them because you only have two ears. When you add speakers to the mix, that also takes up a good deal of listening time. After being exposed to everything, you have to pare down to what you're really going to use.

After I finish moving, I'm going to finish building a number of projects I haven't gotten to, including a bunch of amps and my Orions. Once those are nailed down, I'm going to sell quite a bit of stuff and roll them into other things. Most likely a kit car (Pembleton, three wheeler) I've been eyeing for a few years and a used bike, probably a Ducati 750SS (might as well have something exotic and tempremental) or a used 883 Sportster. Those would give me a lot more pleasure than something boxed away in the closet.

Another way to look at this is the utility of the unused stuff to others. For example, I've got the parts for a point-to-point Bijou boxed away. I am going to build it. Odds are, I'll listen to it for awhile but I don't know if it'll be better than my other amps. I could put it away, but why not sell it to someone who will really enjoy it? I can get the money out and put it into a motorcycle I'll be using.

Also, I really have had a good time on the journey. I've been after good audio for seven or eight years, have heard pretty much everything on the market, and am ready to move on in a sense. There probably won't be any new headphones that interest me for a few years and I'll consider them when they come up. I don't think I'll better my speakers (Orions and ESL-63s) any time soon, but will keep an eye on the market. I'll still do DIY, but that might turn into a small business, so I can make cool stuff for others. And I'm happy about this. The exploration and discovery were great, but it's time to change direction and see what turns up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back