Worth geting the ER-4P?
Sep 10, 2010 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ProjectDenz

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey again guys last week I got a pair of Atrio M5s and a pair of RE0s. Unfortunately the Atrios were defective and I had to send them back. From the store I bought it from gave me a store credit for a future purchase of headphones.

I am considering getting the ER-4Ps but I am wondering if it is worth the extra cost over the RE0s. (RE0s cost me 80 and ER-4Ps will cost me $400AUD).

Will the ER-4P totally whoop the RE0s in terms of clarity and separation or is the improvement only marginal?

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 26
This might be an interesting read for you.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/468941/re252-takes-the-best-from-er-4s-and-re0
and this
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/405947/re0-rivals-er-4s-beats-e500-and-er-4p

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 26
Do not get ER-4P's locally! You are being absolutely taken to the cleaners at $400 AUD, considering they cost less than half as much as on Amazon!

If you have $400 bucks to blow Project then you could actually buy what is considered top tier - ie, UM3x, SM3s, W3's, etc!

Sorry for the exclamation marks, as a fellow Australian I'm just filled with a rising panic at the thought that you might buy them at $400 lol...

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 26
AU$400 is definitely too much. I mean it is a great IEM to own (especially if you get the P-S adapter as well) but you just won't see $320 worth of improvement on the 4P.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 26
Unfortunately I am stuck with a stupid store credit. Might as well get something that can be sold and accept the stupid loss caused...

Should I ask for a refund I mean the Atrios I bought were defective. They only do store credit but I think that may be a violation of the Trade Practices Act.

The store I bought from was Headphonic www.headphones.com.au

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Unfortunately I am stuck with a stupid store credit. Might as well get something that can be sold and accept the stupid loss caused...

Should I ask for a refund I mean the Atrios I bought were defective. They only do store credit but I think that may be a violation of the Trade Practices Act.

The store I bought from was Headphonic www.headphones.com.au

Yah I know that store! They have pretty good service but the prices are quite steep. Because the goods were defective, they have to by law offer a refund under the Trade Practices Act as you suggest, you might want to just ask nicely for a refund before waving that big stick around. You basically will make a loss buying the ER-4P's and then trying to sell them, considering that your $400 store credit will turn into an item worth only $200.

Try finding something from Headphonic that is not that much more expensive when compared to overseas pricing? For instance, you could get one of those Monster beats headphones, since they are not as easily available from overseas or discount stores in Australia since Monster controls distribution. They should be popular enough (eew) to sell easily as well.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 26
Hmmm....legit ones are going for 400 on eBay and cost 500 on Headphonic so that an automatic loss, not counting pain in the ass paypal fees and ebay fees. Fakes one also dilute eBay and idiots seem to think that cheap beats headphones from China are real.

On a lighter note I couldn't help laugh my ass off at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Monster-Beats-Dr-Dre-Studio-Headphones-Limited-E-/260661166958?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item3cb09dc36e

The sad thing is one poor soul fell for it.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 26
Well if you look at it this way: You get the ER-4Ps, they sell for ebay for around $200. So you will lose $200 unless you decide to keep them.

You get the Monsters for $499 and sell them for $400, you lose $99.

I mean, obviously your best option is to get a refund, but if you want to go via the ebay route, I think the ER-4's are a bad option. The trouble is you will lose money on ANY choice you make for your store credit, because headphonic is consistently more expensive than other stores in Australia and overseas. The reason I suggest the Monsters is that they are selling for MSRP on Headphonic, not available in discount stores in Australia, only overpriced Apple stores, they are difficult to get from overseas, and there must be hordes of misguided saps who want to buy them.

And yes that link is hilarious! XD

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 26
I have a crazy suggestion if you have to use the store credit. Assuming you have the full Atrio store credit (AU$299), I would pick up a pair of Radius TWF11R (AU$250, which also have a bassy sound and compliment well with RE0), then add 15 to the remaining AU$50 (total AU$65) and get a pair of MX76 (or $9 for PK3). Just need to note that Radius fit isn't that great on the stock eartip (I would recommend UE bi-flanges) and it doesn't isolate well.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 26
Perhaps I should take the plunge back into the world of full sized cans and get the Audio Technica AD900s for $323. I don't have any full sized cans as I got rid of them all due to them being uncomfortable. I have a large head and the shure srh440s, hd600s and Stax sr-202s were just too clampy and hurt my ears and the side of my face in general. I wonder if the oversized Ad900s will cause me further grief...

Getting sick of constantly looking for the "right" headphone.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Perhaps I should take the plunge back into the world of full sized cans and get the Audio Technica AD900s for $323. I don't have any full sized cans as I got rid of them all due to them being uncomfortable. I have a large head and the shure srh440s, hd600s and Stax sr-202s were just too clampy and hurt my ears and the side of my face in general. I wonder if the oversized Ad900s will cause me further grief...

Getting sick of constantly looking for the "right" headphone.

You could take advantage of their special price on the K701's ($469). Still overpriced, but thats still a special price I guess XD. I have heard they are comfortable. Or you could try the DDM's as ClieOS suggests, they are very much opposite in character from the RE0's so you might learn a thing or two about your preferences. You could use the extra $50 to get those UE tips.

Btw ClieOS, I didn't know you got a pair of the DDMs! I'd be very curious to know what you think - it was your reviews that made me buy the RE0 and get into Head-Fi in the first place! :)

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 26
Not really willing to spend another $500 on an amp. IMO AD900s is a far as one should go if they have no intention of getting an amp - at least in terms of headphones from Headphonic.

DDMs huh? Atrio's are pretty much the opposite of the Re0s too. Thing is I'm starting to hate headphones that have a lot of bass for some reason. To me bass sounds like bass and although Atrio M5 had some good bass they reminded me a lot as a refined version of my old cx300-iis which is never a good thing.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 26
^I think its like swings of a pendulum. You get something like the RE0, itll make you fall in love with treble. Later, when you get very used to them and hear something like the DDM, you'll fall in love with bass - particularly, timbre. This is my personal experience. What's nice is a middleground, but as always the best of both worlds is the most expensive.

Otherwise, maybe you could even get an AMP for your RE0's. They sound pretty magical with an amp I can tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back