WORST headphone you ever heard?
Sep 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #916 of 1,786
Quote:
$2.00 earphones I get from the Dollar Store. I use them to watch TV in bed and have broken a few pairs when falling asleep with them on. Absolute garbage for music but ok for TV.

You paid $2 at a dollar store? You got ripped off! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #917 of 1,786
$2.00 earphones I get from the Dollar Store. I use them to watch TV in bed and have broken a few pairs when falling asleep with them on. Absolute garbage for music but ok for TV.
I too bought a two dollar pair from the dollar store. They were horrible omg even at paying two bucks I got ripped off. Lol. But, I got I think three pairs of the big bore tips with them that work fine with my ie80's so I guess it was worth the two buckslol

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #918 of 1,786
A friend gave me some AKG K67 (Tiesto version) that he got with some special edition album he bought, sound quality was OK, though very overpowering on the bass, my problem was the headband cracked to a near complete break within a month, close inspection of the opposite side shows a micro crack appearing too in the same place, very disapointing for a premium headphone that was the only real item of value with a £100 album. A quick search on amazon etc shows many people with the same issue, would avoid this particular model!

Replaced them with some Senn HD 598's, couldn't be happier, amazing headphones.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #919 of 1,786
Quote:
I think I found my most hated ones, I just found an old pair of headphones with tiny foam pads and a microphone that I used to use when I was a 5-10 year old kid at school with the computer and later for home Warcraft 1/2, Starcraft, Starlancer and other video games. Had a listen, good god, there is no treble or upper mids, just soft patting bass and a semblance of some voices coming through. Disgusting to think I used to use these when I was younger.

Had a similar experience cracking out my old pair of Teac Earbuds I used at a young teenager before I first got my Sennheiser 418 some eons ago. No bass or low mids on this one almost at all.

I have a pair of those as well

Honestly I think I want to listen to my OLDEST pair of still working cans. My Koss TD 75's...

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #920 of 1,786
Quote:
I'm nowhere near an audiophile, so if headphones can play music they're good enough for me

I can't be the only person wondering why you're here on Head-Fi if that's the case.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #922 of 1,786
I thought that too, but I believe all are welcome, no?

Yes, of course. I don't mean to be antagonistic; I was just a little confused.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #923 of 1,786
For me, it's gotta be the Sol Republic Master Tracks over-the-ear headphone. An outstandingly comfortable and light pair of headphones had to be the absolutely worst sounding headphones I've heard. Over emphasized bass with virtually no mid-range and treble, to the point that the Master Tracks distorts the sound. And the ultimate irony is Sol Republic markets them as "reference" headphones. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #924 of 1,786
For me, it's gotta be the Sol Republic Master Tracks over-the-ear headphone. An outstandingly comfortable and light pair of headphones had to be the absolutely worst sounding headphones I've heard. Over emphasized bass with virtually no mid-range and treble, to the point that the Master Tracks distorts the sound. And the ultimate irony is Sol Republic markets them as "reference" headphones. 

I used to own the Tracks HD, and i used to think that it was an awesome sounding headphone. Until i heard proper cans like the DT880 and M50's. They made me realize how garbage the sound quality was coming out of the Sol's.

I thought the Master Tracks was supposed to be good. Many positive reviews on youtube.

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #925 of 1,786
SOL Republic isn't the worst offender out there; of all the "pop" headphone brands it's the one I recommend the most.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #926 of 1,786

Quote:

I believe I posted on this thread a long time ago about the Sol Republic Tracks (non-HD) possibly being worse than the Beats Solo HD (never heard the original Solos). I listened to the Master Tracks a month or so ago and, as far as I remember, they sound pretty much like their on-ear counterparts. The lack of treble was astounding. It was like listening to a club sound system - standing outside the club. Even with the iPod/iTunes Treble Booster EQ setting it sounded like it needed a bit more 10-20khz energy. I would go as far as to say that the speakers on my TV sound better. At least they have acceptable mid and high frequency response.

I thought the Master Tracks was supposed to be good. Many positive reviews on youtube.

Most if not all of these positive reviews are probably coming from people that listen to nothing but hip-hop with distorted booming bass and "EDM" which is all the rage with the kids these days. More qualified reviewers are not even bothering to review the Master Tracks and the one review I saw, from headphoneinfo.com, was pretty negative. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #928 of 1,786

I can't be the only person wondering why you're here on Head-Fi if that's the case.

I know, I know. I was in the market for some headphones and saw that this community knew their stuff. Also it's a friendly board

Got it; I assumed that's approximately what happened. It's good that you've continued posting a little bit on here and learning more beyond just asking for advice once and leaving like a lot of people do. Keep it up!

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #929 of 1,786
Most if not all of these positive reviews are probably coming from people that listen to nothing but hip-hop with distorted booming bass and "EDM" which is all the rage with the kids these days. More qualified reviewers are not even bothering to review the Master Tracks and the one review I saw, from headphoneinfo.com, was pretty negative. 

True, and most youtube reviewers don't really know what they're talking about (except a few). They spend more time describing the aesthetic, accessories, build of a headphone than describing the sound and comfort. Oh, and when it comes to the part to describe sound, all they say is "You'll hear things you've never heard before" and "Omg these sound so much better than Beats". We need more Head-Fi youtubers.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #930 of 1,786
Honestly, the consensus on SOL here on Head-Fi isn't so negative. Their pricing is much more fair than their competitors, and the bass on their lower two models (at the very least, as these are the ones I've spent significant time with) isn't nearly as boomy and loose as, say Soul or Beats. The mids are a disappointment for sure, but much less so than a Solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back