WORST headphone you ever heard?
Jul 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #828 of 1,786
Quote:
Probably the earbuds that came with an old phone (htc mytouch 3g).  Terrible.

Or one of these, but I was so little I don't even remember how it sounded (I'm not THAT old.  My parents didn't waste money on expensive audio gear like I do
tongue.gif
).

If you mean something respected in the audiophile community, Altec lansing uhp336 (superfi 3) wins the prize.  Sounded so bad.  Just one gigantic peak of midrange.

OMG I remember those! They sounded super tinny even to a child who had never heard anything better than an 80's radio with only one (nowhere close to full range) speaker.

Quote:
i don't know what brand or name it is but the headphones they give out during international flights to watch movie/listen to airplane music are the worst.

Here's a great review of them 
biggrin.gif
 http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphones-united-airlines-flight-962

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #829 of 1,786
Those bastards are not even stereo!

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #830 of 1,786
Quote:

I feel like i got jipped cause my headphones looked much worse. It had those super uncomfortable foam pads and very thin plastic band on the top. I remember my hair would occassionally get stuck in the area that lets you make adjustments which was a painful experience. Those headphones look pretty good for what i got in comparison. But then again the phones were free during the flight (not for keeps but for the duration of the flight)

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #831 of 1,786
Quote:
Those bastards are not even stereo!

Stereo? You kidding me? Those things had like one narrow peak in the lower treble, and that was it. No bass, no mids, no upper treble, nothing.
Quote:

I feel like i got jipped cause my headphones looked much worse. It had those super uncomfortable foam pads and very thin plastic band on the top. I remember my hair would occassionally get stuck in the area that lets you make adjustments which was a painful experience. Those headphones look pretty good for what i got in comparison. But then again the phones were free during the flight (not for keeps but for the duration of the flight)

So $2 gets you a significant upgrade lol

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #832 of 1,786
Quote:
So $2 gets you a significant upgrade lol

yes, i would pay $2 for those phones if i forgot my adaptor. Too bad its never been a choice for me since i do not fly united often. I do not remember when being offered either when i used united for a international flight before though. Sometimes i regret selling my qc 15. One of the best phones for a noisy plane ride.

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #834 of 1,786
Here are a few based off unique situations that happened in my life:

It sounded great in the shop!
Grado s80i
Here in Singapore, there are a few shops that allow for testing, or auditioning, of headphones before purchase. This is different from the headphones on display stands, because they are taken care of, and are burnt-in incredibly fast, if the shops don't do so themselves already. I threw my money at a pair of Grado s80i's after listening to them at the shop, only to get my ears stabbed by the piercing highs of an unburnt s80's! But after that, it gradually mellowed out and got amazing as the days go by. Well, that or my ears have never been the same after the assault 
rolleyes.gif

While we are at the shop...
Goldring 100
I thought they passed off as muffled and boring. 

Extra Bass is good, right?
Sony XB-400's 
Muddy and farty, it got slightly better after burn-in, but it was meant to be a temporary pair of headphones until I got my MDR-1RBT's, which I did. It was then did I understand that there's good bass, and farty bad bass. And mind you, I like fun headphones!

German precision isn't always the best... or the most friendly.
AKG K 495 NC
Snapped at the left cup joint within less then two months with normal usage. Poor, almost stupid design, with all the metal in that pair of premium headphones, the point with the most stress was made of brittle plastic. International support team didn't reply to my emails about a replacement part of sending it to get fixed. Local distributor refused to acknowledge that it's a manufacturer fault, but did offer a 30% discount. Regardless, it was a 400 USD investment I would be stupid to invest again after what happened. It's sad, I really enjoyed the headphones, the NC worked, the sound quality and signature didn't change with it on or off, and it was a very fun pair of headphones, with the music sounding very... dynamic. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #835 of 1,786
Quote:
German precision isn't always the best... or the most friendly.
AKG K 495 NC

AKG is Austrian, which is owned by Harman which is American.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #837 of 1,786
Quote:
i don't know what brand or name it is but the headphones they give out during international flights to watch movie/listen to airplane music are the worst.

Yep, usually terrible. And very frequently I get pairs with severe channel imbalances, static, and other issues, but I suppose they're 'disposable' so yeh.

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #838 of 1,786
AKG is Austrian, which is owned by Harman which is American.

I was always under the impression that even though austria is different country, austrians are culturally considered german. And the people are considered german as well. After all german people referred to a group of people in the current region that is germany today but included parts of modern day western poland as well as austria. Of course i am not authority on this subject but i've written several research papers on austria (mostly 18th century diplomatic history that involves Austria, Ottoman, Prussia, Russia) during college and most of the literature i have read during the research seemed to refer austrians in the Vienna region (modern day austria) in such a manner.

Do they make a clear distinction between german people in modern day germany and austria very clear over there today?

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #839 of 1,786
Quote:
I was always under the impression that even though austria is different country, austrians are culturally considered german. And the people are considered german as well. After all german people referred to a group of people in the current region that is germany today but included parts of modern day western poland as well as austria. Of course i am not authority on this subject but i've written several research papers on austria (mostly 18th century diplomatic history that involves Austria, Ottoman, Prussia, Russia) during college and most of the literature i have read during the research seemed to refer austrians in the Vienna region (modern day austria) in such a manner.

Do they make a clear distinction between german people in modern day germany and austria very clear over there today?

Oh yes - Austrians (at least a lot of the ones I know) seem to be very proud of being Austrian and have a strong sense of patriotism to it's long (and turbulent) history.
Even hinting that an Austrian is 'German' is considered politically incorrect and some (many) will find it offensive. 
It is just as incorrect as saying the German part of Switzerland is German, or the German speakers of Süd Tyrol (in the north of Italy) are German, or the German speakers in the south-eastern tip of Hungary are German. 

In Europe it's unheard of for people to bunch the German speakers together like that.
For example it's more common for people to refer to the Czech Repulic and Slovakia the former (single communist state) Czechoslovakia.... I know I've seen quite a few 'joke-website image' misquotes on that subject too.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #840 of 1,786
Oh yes - Austrians (at least a lot of the ones I know) seem to be very proud of being Austrian and have a strong sense of patriotism to it's long (and turbulent) history.
Even hinting that an Austrian is 'German' is considered politically incorrect and some (many) will find it offensive. 

It is just as incorrect as saying the German part of Switzerland is German, or the German speakers of Süd Tyrol (in the north of Italy) are German, or the German speakers in the south-eastern tip of Hungary are German. 

In Europe it's unheard of for people to bunch the German speakers together like that.

For example it's more common for people to refer to the Czech Repulic and Slovakia the former (single communist state) Czechoslovakia.... I know I've seen quite a few 'joke-website image' misquotes on that subject too.

That is very interesting i did not know that. btw does germany itself also have a bit of a north/south split like italy does due to culture and economy? (sry for being a bit off topic here but this will be my last question)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back