WORST headphone you ever heard?
Jan 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #93 of 1,786

Quote:
V150. Horrible! The step from V150 to V6 is like going from V6 to a $1k can. Also didn't like Koss Porta pros, and of course the classic Apple earbud that I've ruined several times.

The Sparkplug or Plug? And why the hell does Apple put so much time into making their iPods awesome, but they don't put time into the headphones at all?

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #94 of 1,786
Koss Pro DJ100. Just not my kind of can. The mids were too forwards and fatiguing for me. Then again, all I had to pair it with at the time was my little Fiio E5 - maybe it would've been a better experience with another amp but I doubt it.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #95 of 1,786
There are a good amount of entry level usb/3.5mm and earbud headphones I've tried that are all like under 20 bucks, and they all sound equally as horrible, but perhaps the one that struck my nerves the most was skullcandy holua.  It sounded nearly as bad, and to think it retailed for around 100usd.  Good thing I only paid 15 for mine.

Of the hi-fi headphones?  Probably HD555.  It sounds beyond lifeless to me.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #96 of 1,786
Well, Skullcandy's suck no matter how much you pay for them.

Ultimately, if you're going with some 'cans for both on the go and at-home usage, the Sony MDR-7506's have some pretty good sound, and they're tough enough to take a pretty decent beating.

For at-home only usage, your best bet would be the Koss Pro4AAT's, as although they're touted as having great sound, they're a little too heavy and cumbersome for on-the-go usage, and their 300-ohm impedance is FAR too high for iPods or other MP3 players.

For portable-only usage, the Koss UR-40's, Sennheiser HD 202-II's or HD 203's, or the Sony MDR-XB500's are a good bet, as they're not too cumbersome to carry around, have great sound, and seem pretty comfortable, although I know the UR-40's are comfortable as heck due to having actually used them for a while.

The one fatal flaw with the UR-40's is they're open-back, so they leak like crazy, but that's expected with Grados and other open-back 'cans too.

And also, after having auditioned them and liking what I heard and felt, the Bose AE2's don't seem that bad either.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #97 of 1,786
Apple earbuds by far. I can't freakin' stand them!!

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #98 of 1,786
Jan 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #99 of 1,786
The worst for me were the xb300s......highs??mids???? low end???? All that was there was bloated bass like elephant farts, and a voice inside my head screaming "sq??? What is it??? Never heard of it"
I had them for a year before I got my ksc75, and when I tried the 300s again, o got so angry I broke the headband and ripped off the left cushion, shouting "fudge you!!!" Lol
But I tried the xb700, they are significantly better IMO

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #102 of 1,786
These Teac phones my dad has a boatload of in the garage or the Partsexpress $2 phones people use for the headband on KSC75s, i guess i'd have to analyze them to see which one is worse but who wants to do that?

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #103 of 1,786
Honestly every earbud I've tried had one of two sound signatures. Either warm, sweet mids, dry bass and okay treble, or hollow mids, harsh treble and no bass. Maybe it's the way they fit into my ear that gives them decent mids. I could still manage using a pair if it weren't for the poor isolation.

Besides the whole cliche earbuds and tacky Skullcandy supraaurals (which are so damn uncomfortable, the pads just crush your ear...) I'd have to say that the Etymotic MC5 are probably the worst IEM I've ever heard. The isolation is golden, no doubt, but the sound is just so lifeless and dry it depressed me. The bass is thin, the treble's dry and the mids are recessed, destroying the musical aspect of whatever I'm listening to; it's just frequencies and tones, not music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back