WORST headphone you ever heard?
Apr 7, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #1,381 of 1,786
I believe all of the above listed headphones would become a blessing to my ears when I was 12 and listened to music from $1 ear-buds. But it was the age when I didn't mind sound quality at all; it was the music itself and more importantly the feelings about it that mattered more.  I still remember how I loved Michael Jackson's songs and even danced to them with that terrible sound quality. Nowadays I have nice headphones, decent amp/dac, and flawless sources, which altogether give me sound quality that I could not even imagine in the past. However, they cannot gave me the feelings that I had about music when I was young. Michael Jackson still sounds good but I miss the one I was crazy about tens of years ago. And equally so, I miss my $1 ear-buds.
I figured out this sound quality thing this past year(I'm 15), and I am making electronic music, but my favorite music group by far is Fleetwood Mac... Their music is absolutely beautiful. My top ten favorite music groups are a mix of edm, 70-80's pop/rock, and jazz (Kenny g, Glenn miller.)but to my point. I just try not thinking about the music, and just close my eyes and relax. Edm and rock is more what I listen to on the bus and elsewhere. At home, its all just jazz, orchestra, and 70's-80's pop, with a bit of jazzy Japanese pop music thrown in... Try it sometime. Just sit back, close your eyes to some relaxing chill out music(a lot of songs by the eagles, Kenny g, Fleetwood mac, jimmy buffet, etc are good for this.). You will find your mind just drifting around with the music. Such a nice feeling. I couldn't do this before I had nice cans. The sound was just too edgy. Brought me out of that trance like state of happiness... I used to be a video game junkie sort of person... Now all my free time (6-10 hours on weekdays. All day on weekends.)that was spent on videogames is spent with my cans... The ps3 just doesn't seem as appealing as my akg k240's anymore... I now learned that price doesn't mean better. I spent 1000$+ on computer/ps3/ps2 games, but then I buy some ear buds... Meh. Didn't really like it that much. Bought some Sony 20$ cans... A big improvement, but still meh. Bought a pair of jvc ha-m55x's. Those got me deep into the electronic music world. Decided I wanted another pair. Akg k240's... Wow. I just got sucked back into the other genres I listened to before. Sound quality and signature imo really determines what music you enjoy and listen to. Just a subconscious thing. One genre sounds better than another on a certain pair, so therefore you are most likely to listen to that certain genre. Humans will always look to optimize their joy. For me, I've found great joy, and its not from spending 1000$ more on a new gaming computer, but spending 140$ on a pair of cans...

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #1,382 of 1,786
  I believe all of the above listed headphones would become a blessing to my ears when I was 12 and listened to music from $1 ear-buds. But it was the age when I didn't mind sound quality at all; it was the music itself and more importantly the feelings about it that mattered more.  I still remember how I loved Michael Jackson's songs and even danced to them with that terrible sound quality. Nowadays I have nice headphones, decent amp/dac, and flawless sources, which altogether give me sound quality that I could not even imagine in the past. However, they cannot gave me the feelings that I had about music when I was young. Michael Jackson still sounds good but I miss the one I was crazy about tens of years ago. And equally so, I miss my $1 ear-buds.

Sound quality doesn't matter; it's the emotions involved in listening to the music itself that counts...

...unless you're using Beats

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #1,385 of 1,786
Ha ha ... I'm glad I never used beats and I don't think I will ever use them in the future :)
they're ok... If you enjoy expensive fashion objects that thump a little, but seriously, an experienced basshead will want to avoid them. Not enough low end thump to them for type 3 bassheads, and not enough detail for type 1 bassheads. They fit type two bassheads, but they are far from the best in that category.(type one= cans that have 4-8 db bass boost with detail. Basically just an audiophile that likes warmer cans. Type 2= bassheads that enjoy feeling a little thump in the low end, while retaining most of the sound quality. Type 3= pounding the **** out of your head with crazy headphones with powerful amps.

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,387 of 1,786
Yep ... I tried one beats in best-buy and I was not impressed at all. I think if I were a basshead, I would reach for beyer dt770 for the same price range.
nope. The best type 3 basshead cans are JVC's. Ha-mr77x, sz1000, and sz2000. Type 2... Almost unlimited choices. Same with type 1.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,390 of 1,786
  Yep ... I tried one beats in best-buy and I was not impressed at all. I think if I were a basshead, I would reach for beyer dt770 for the same price range.

They actually hurt my ears, put them down after like 10 seconds.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,391 of 1,786
Well obviously everyone has their own personal preferences. Maybe they just like the DT770 better?
that's a type two basshead can. Plus general, go look up jvc dx1000 and read reviews. Those aren't bloated like the others... Plus I don't like the word bloated when describing bass. I use different terms. If sub bass is boosted, it sounds foggy. if mid/uppper bass is boosted, I call it punchy.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,392 of 1,786
that's a type two basshead can. Plus general, go look up jvc dx1000 and read reviews. Those aren't bloated like the others... Plus I don't like the word bloated when describing bass. I use different terms. If sub bass is boosted, it sounds foggy. if mid/uppper bass is boosted, I call it punchy.

I'm pretty sure punchy is used to describe the quality/feel/impact of the bass, not how much it's boosted.

I have no idea about the types of bassheads either, is this new?

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #1,393 of 1,786
  I'm pretty sure punchy is used to describe the quality/feel/impact of the bass, not how much it's boosted.

I have no idea about the types of bassheads either, is this new?

Punchy refers to things like Grados, which are no where near boosted.
And I have never heard of the types of bassheads.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,394 of 1,786
Well, one of the people on the basshead club posted three types. #1 detailed nice bass. 4-8 db bass boost. #2 slight to moderate thump, while still retaining some sound quality. #3 pounding the **** out of your head. I only know a few type 3's. Mainly type 2 and 1 bassheads.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,395 of 1,786
Punchy refers to things like Grados, which are no where near boosted.

And I have never heard of the types of bassheads.
I meant punchy as in the bass punches you. You can feel it at moderately high volumes, and it just feels... Punchier to me. All my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back