WORST headphone you ever heard?
Jan 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,022 of 1,786
I have a pair of Maxells that's I got about 6 years ago because they were noise-canceling and folded up well. They do cancel noise pretty well but at the expense of making the music so muffled it sounds like you're underwater.  My wife has some Nakamichis that she got at Sears a while back, just awful.

Pretty much all Maxell offerings are crap. Even their high end flagships are equal to low to low mid tier SQ.

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,023 of 1,786
Brainwavz Delta

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,024 of 1,786
Pretty much all Maxell offerings are crap. Even their high end flagships are equal to low to low mid tier SQ.

Yeah, I didn't know any better at the time. I got them for a plane trip. About halfway into the one-hour trip from N.O. to Houston I gave up on them. Bought a Sony EX-51 at the Houston airport while waiting for my connecting flight, what a giant difference. Mind you this was about 7 years ago before headphones blew up into the huge moneymaker they are today.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,025 of 1,786
  Yeah, I didn't know any better at the time. I got them for a plane trip. About halfway into the one-hour trip from N.O. to Houston I gave up on them. Bought a Sony EX-51 at the Houston airport while waiting for my connecting flight, what a giant difference. Mind you this was about 7 years ago before headphones blew up into the huge moneymaker they are today.

i had a similar experience. My Sony's died on me during a trip to Florida. During my stop in Denver, I was tight on cash, and one of those kiosks had skullcandy, Maxell, and Koss. I bought the Maxell because they were really small and looked like Sennheiser CX300 housings and were $8.00. The flight from Denver to Florida was a complete bust. They sounded absolutely abysmal. Even compared to the cheapie Sony's. Abysmal. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #1,027 of 1,786
HD598 and HD650...

I just don't get the pricing of the HD598, I'd rather get the Beyers DT770 Pro and have some money to spare. And the HD650 is just simply too dark for me, I hate it very much. On the contrary, the HD600 is one of the most phenomenal pair of cans I've ever listened. This is all just my personal opinion, no offense is intended to the owners of the mentioned cans, and as always YMMV.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #1,028 of 1,786
  HD598 and HD650...

I just don't get the pricing of the HD598, I'd rather get the Beyers DT770 Pro and have some money to spare. And the HD650 is just simply too dark for me, I hate it very much. On the contrary, the HD600 is one of the most phenomenal pair of cans I've ever listened. This is all just my personal opinion, no offense is intended to the owners of the mentioned cans, and as always YMMV.

I've owned both HD600 and HD650 and HD650 is the defacto headphone for when I'm tired and in bed wanting to kill time before falling asleep. It's like someone singing a lullaby to me lol.

Also if I wake up during the night they're great to listen to Radio (UK Radio 3 Classical mainly) using Marantz Tuner and Marantz PM17 Integrated Amp - I think the power of the amp helps.

When I'm fully concious (lol) they just don't hit the spot, as you say they're far too dark.

Personally I think owning HD650 AND HD600 is a good combination to meet various needs.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,029 of 1,786
Probably those Sony Gumy earphones you can get in hmv or most supermarkets. So many people buy them because they're Sony and come in a variety of colours but they just sound so tinny and empty. Yuck.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,032 of 1,786
Funny enough, I didn't see the Marshall Headphones popping out in the thread yet. Can't give my opinion on these, I never got to try these.

Worst audiophile tier HP I tried were a pair of closed BeyerDynamics DT770. I don't know why, but the bass were extremly drooling to me, and that's the only thing that can make me puke in music.

Then yeah, these 12€ Sony IEMs that I use as replacements for when I break an HP. Distorsion all the way, it's like I'm listening to underwater music.

Oh, and the beats pro. They say sound engineers use these. EL' O' EL.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #1,033 of 1,786
Funny enough, I didn't see the Marshall Headphones popping out in the thread yet. Can't give my opinion on these, I never got to try these.

Worst audiophile tier HP I tried were a pair of closed BeyerDynamics DT770. I don't know why, but the bass were extremly drooling to me, and that's the only thing that can make me puke in music.

Then yeah, these 12€ Sony IEMs that I use as replacements for when I break an HP. Distorsion all the way, it's like I'm listening to underwater music.

Oh, and the beats pro. They say sound engineers use these. EL' O' EL.

Do you remember what ohm version you heard on the DT 770? The bass levels and overall sound varies drastically based on the ohm version on the DT 770, the Pro 80 ohm and bass heavy Premium 600 ohm are known to be bass cannons. I thought the Pro 250 ohm sounded well balanced, I haven't heard the Pro 32 ohm yet.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,034 of 1,786

Try the DT770 Pro, I personally like it very much. It sounds very balanced across the spectrum (I heard the DT770 Pro Ltd version).

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,035 of 1,786
Do you remember what ohm version you heard on the DT 770? The bass levels and overall sound varies drastically based on the ohm version on the DT 770, the Pro 80 ohm and bass heavy Premium 600 ohm are known to be bass cannons. I thought the Pro 250 ohm sounded well balanced, I haven't heard the Pro 32 ohm yet.

I don't remember what amp it was plugged in when I tried, nor if I tried a Pro version (should have asked first :/). I'll be sure to give it another try next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back