WooAudio 6 Review
Apr 11, 2007 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

rad212

New Head-Fier
I decided to gives tubes a try again after many years of using SS gear. My past experience with tube gear was not very positive (Melos SHA- power supply hum, hum though the headphones and speakers and poor quality toggle switch feel) (Music Reference RM9 MkII lint shorts, blown fuses,popping sounds, biasing adjustments, Audible Illusions L1, humming power supply, short tube life). While they sounded good when they worked, the issues far outweighted the enjoyment of just being able to sit and listen to music. My requirements for the tube headphone amp were good sound, reliability, build quality and nice cosmetics. No headphone amps with plastic housings or cheap looking metal enclosures were considered.My budget was $600 or less for a tube Headphone Amp.

I currently use a Simaudio P3 preamp in my audio system which has excellent build quality-This was my benchmark for build quality. After reading the review in Tone Audio, I decided to check out the WooAudio Amps. I used my HD-600's which I plugged into either my Shanling CDT-100 which has a headphone amp or my Simaudio P3, which also has a headphone amp. I also have a Yamaha HT receiver downstairs with my Oppo 970HD. Would the WA-6 sound better that my 2 other amps? Would the HD-600's benefit from a dedicated Headphone Amp?

First up: The Yamaha HT Receiver headphone input. Bass was muddy and the HD-600's just sounded muffled. No contest here but considering the receiver cost $150, I did not expect much.

Next stop: Shanling CDT100 headphone amp to HD-600's. Depending on the CD, sometimes I needed to turn the volume to MAX to get decent volume and sound. It sounded good but could get fatiguing on certain CD's. I was hoping the HD-600's could sound better. Switching over to the WA6 using the CDT100 as the source, the sound improved quite a bit. The clarity of instruments- high frequencies were clearer and had more sparkle, the soundstage improved and the bass was tighter and was more defined, it just sounded cleaner and more accurate and there was plenty of volume (the volume control never past the 12 o'clock position). The HD-600's never sounded so good! The WA6 definitely has the ability to drive these phones to a new level of clarity/transparency.

Final Comparison: the WA6 vs the headphone amp of the P3, yielded similar results. While the SimAudio could easily drive the HD-600's, the bass sounded muddy and the highs and vocals did not have the clarity and transparency that made the WA6 so nice to listen to with the HD-600's. I can honestly say, I never really knew how good the HD-600's could sound until hearing them through the WA6.

Anyone that says the HD-600's are dark or veiled hasn't tried the correct headphone amp.

Music The Shins- Wincing The Night Away
Jenna Mammina- Inner Smile
Rebecca Pidgeon-The Raven
Diana Krall- The Girl In The Other Room

The following list just adds more reasons to give Wooaudio a listen. Dealing with Jack was a pleasure.

Ease of ordering excellent
communication regarding order excellent
Shipping Date Accuracyexcellent
Shipping Box/packing materialsexcellent
Build Quality excellent
Sound wonderful
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the WA6 club! Now get a nice Phillips metal base GZ34 and you will be in heaven
biggrin.gif

Thanks johnsonad, now where do I get the Philips metal base GZ34?

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 33
Jack IS a pleasure. Anybody who wants to try tubes has absolutely got to try WooAudio stuff.
=Gregg Fedchak=

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaseshift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a WA6 and was wondering if that GZ34 rectifier tube really makes that big of a difference?

Very much so. It will cost a little ($200 or so if you look) but a 50s Phillip's metal base GZ34 will make an already great amp amazing. Read the other recent threads about the WA6. PM a few of the other guys and get their opinion on the combo or on other tubes they have rolled.

I picked up most of my tubes off of Ebay
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaseshift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a WA6 and was wondering if that GZ34 rectifier tube really makes that big of a difference?

I put in the amperex bugle boyrectifier and I was suprised by the difference.Buying some 6DE7's and sending the to cryoset.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 33
I bought my Woo6 to try and open up my HD650s - which it does a great job of... However, when I plugged my W5000s into the Woo6 - well lets just say the 650s are wondering what they did wrong.. The Woo gave the W5000s new warmth and much more defined bass... I can't find anything I don't enjoy listening to through the 5000s

Jeff

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
j5brock,

sorry...just trying to understand your statement,

"However, when I plugged my W5000s into the Woo6 - well lets just say the 650s are wondering what they did wrong.. "

what does that mean? W5000 was much better than 650s with Woo6, or vice versa?

[this is not intended as nitpicking you...as a W5000 owner and in amp research mode, just trying to make sure I understand your experience]

I think he means the W5000 really shines with a WA6. And I can personally confirm this is the case. Being a W5000 owner, the WA6 is doing a top job for the W5000.

F. Lo

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 33
In the plainest English I know -

The W5000s are incredible with the Woo6 - I have not put the HD650s on in over a month.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back