Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Jun 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #346 of 1,192
Just received a pair of NOS Tung Sol 5998, branded Chatham 2399. One tube seems to have something loose inside it -- makes a kind of metallic jangly sound when I move the tube. I can't see any loose or broken parts inside. And as far as I can tell, the tube works OK. So, I should just stop worrying and get on with life? Or is this kind of mechanical (not audio) noise a potential portent of problems down the road, which would mean that I should try to get the tube replaced? Thanks for your guidance!

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #348 of 1,192
Sounds like a ground loop, does it buzz with the source disconnected?

@Grinding...yes it is buzzing even when the source is disconnected.
Is that a ground loop tell tale ?

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #349 of 1,192
No, that leans toward not a ground loop. It's most likely either a tube or power supply/ground issue... My WA-3 was very picky.
My WA3 did not like CFL lamps nearby either. You mentioned the buzz appears or is maximized at around 10oclock. Noise from the pot maximizes at center (resistance, not on the dial). The fact it's quiet with volume down means it's not likely an output tube issue.

@Grinding...yes it is buzzing even when the source is disconnected.
Is that a ground loop tell tale ?

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #350 of 1,192
No, that leans toward not a ground loop. It's most likely either a tube or power supply/ground issue... My WA-3 was very picky.
My WA3 did not like CFL lamps nearby either. You mentioned the buzz appears or is maximized at around 10oclock. Noise from the pot maximizes at center (resistance, not on the dial). The fact it's quiet with volume down means it's not likely an output tube issue.

The buzz start showing at around 10 o'clock and keep getting louder when I increase the volume...the higher the volume the louder it become.
Perhaps I should try a power conditioner, anybody use this btw, does it helps ?

My 6as7 and 6dj8 just arrived, will swap them tonight and see if the buzz goes away.

Thanks Grinding.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #351 of 1,192
Anyone have experience with a TS5998 that gives off a loud "pop" after a few mins? Is this called arcing? Any hope for this tube, or is it worthless?

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #352 of 1,192
Anyone?

Fortunately, I always listen to newly purchased tubes thru an old pair of Senn HD238's for the first hour as I don't want to risk damaging my HD800 or LCD2.2.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #353 of 1,192
Yes, that is arcing. It's as bad for your ears as it is for headphones. A gassy tube can arc, a tube that has been sitting for years may arc, powering up the amp with hot rectifiers and cold output tubes (rolling too quickly) can do it. Let the tube cook for an hour before trying again. It may just be a one time thing. If it happens more than once at startup or if it happens to a fully warmed up amp I toss the tube. Some 5998 and 7236 have a tendency to arc in the Woo.

Anyone have experience with a TS5998 that gives off a loud "pop" after a few mins? Is this called arcing? Any hope for this tube, or is it worthless?

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #354 of 1,192
Yes, that is arcing. It's as bad for your ears as it is for headphones. A gassy tube can arc, a tube that has been sitting for years may arc, powering up the amp with hot rectifiers and cold output tubes (rolling too quickly) can do it. Let the tube cook for an hour before trying again. It may just be a one time thing. If it happens more than once at startup or if it happens to a fully warmed up amp I toss the tube. Some 5998 and 7236 have a tendency to arc in the Woo.

Will try it again. Thanks for the info.
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #355 of 1,192
  Just received a pair of NOS Tung Sol 5998, branded Chatham 2399. One tube seems to have something loose inside it -- makes a kind of metallic jangly sound when I move the tube. I can't see any loose or broken parts inside. And as far as I can tell, the tube works OK. So, I should just stop worrying and get on with life? Or is this kind of mechanical (not audio) noise a potential portent of problems down the road, which would mean that I should try to get the tube replaced? Thanks for your guidance!

I have a few that do the same, generally this won't cause any problems.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #360 of 1,192

When you mentioned rolling too quickly, I remembered that I was swapping in cold power tubes with hot rectifiers. After a proper warm-up, the tube now works fine.
smile.gif

Thanks again for this info! Your advice kept me from throwing out a perfectly good 5998.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back