Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
May 27, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,051 of 1,192
Flavor of the month ... miniwatt EZ80 hiding ...

77.jpg
Just received my (new to me) WA2 yesterday afternoon.

Tung-Sol 7236 power tubes, RFT EZ81 rectifiers, and Amperex 7308s.

I feel Iike I’m getting away with something illegal with the (relatively) reasonable price I paid. I can’t see myself needing another tube amp. Ever.

Now I’m off to update my signature…

D3033F7E-58BD-4FDB-AFEC-4D0CEAD90149.jpeg

May 27, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,053 of 1,192

I feel Iike I’m getting away with something illegal with the (relatively) reasonable price I paid. I can’t see myself needing another tube amp. Ever.

D3033F7E-58BD-4FDB-AFEC-4D0CEAD90149.jpeg

WA2 is indeed one of the best IMO. Is that a modified jack? Interesting .....

May 28, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #1,056 of 1,192
I think this is the old type of jack Woo used. I had the same in my wa2 and wa6 se.
Interesting- I’m not sure, but I also have pre-amp functionality… happy regardless!

May 28, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #1,057 of 1,192
Interesting- I’m not sure, but I also have pre-amp functionality… happy regardless!
I doubt that you will be using WA2 as a preamplifier to another amplifier. Not when WA2 —> direct to Auteur / Eikon !

May 28, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,058 of 1,192
I doubt that you will be using WA2 as a preamplifier to another amplifier. Not when WA2 —> direct to Auteur / Eikon !
True, though I was thinking to a power amp -> my speakers. 😊

May 31, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #1,059 of 1,192

To stick to this thread's topic more properly: Some listening impressions after about 3-4 hours with the tubes listed above, using ZMF Auteur and Eikon, with which this amp does incredibly well:
- Very fluid, organic sound overall. There is an impressive ease of delivery across the frequency spectrum.
- Bass is very tactile, detailed, and textured. Notes are clearly differentiated, even in fast bass lines or in distorted music (think grunge rock or noisier electronica).
- Bass depth is also remarkable, with impressive "slam" that rivals good solid-state amps. From what I've read, the WA22 is even more agile/faster with more slam. I'm sure that's great, but this is plenty for me!
- With music that is mixed with a broader sound stage, there is pretty good width to the stage. Depth is also pretty well rendered- the 16/44 version of Soundgarden's "Like Suicide" (from "Superunknown") has Chris Cornell singing from a deeper position with bass/guitars extending much closer to the listener, encircling you with sound. This depth is also present with good jazz recordings, where the spaciousness of width is also very apparent.
- Vocals are natural and well-rendered, with some roll-off of treble limiting sibilance (and also sparkle, for those treble-lovers out there). This works well for me, but not all listeners will appreciate the somewhat euphonic rendering and kindness towards older/lower-quality recordings.
- High-quality recordings (and higher bit-depth, as well) benefit greatly from this amp, as it resolves micro-details quite well with this tube complement.
- Pretty good PRaT (pace/rhythm and timing) with these tubes- while certainly not the last word in speed (vs. solid-state and planars, for example- the LCD-XC with good solid-state being my benchmark), they will definitely get your toes tapping!

I would definitely recommend combining the Tung-Sol 7236s with Amperex 7308s and RFT EZ81s. The 7308s did exceptionally well in a 6922-family based amp (Feliks Echo), and their strengths of clarity, zero audible noise, and natural/organic rendering combine really well with the other tubes.

I have no experience with the other types, but from what I've seen on this thread, good 7236s are a solid choice for power tubes. I'll be rolling in EZ81s with foil getters in a day or two, thanks to advice from @jonathan c , and should see gains in bass tightness from what I've read.

Not one to be unprepared for tube shortages or rainy days, I've also bought a few added power tubes (General Electric 6AS7GAs, RCA 6AS7G (1968), and Sylvania JAN 6080WCs). Silly, I know, but I like to have some options if issues/age sets in with current tubes. I already have Mullard 6922s and Philips 6JD8s from my old amp as backups. But now I'm set (no pun intended), and excited to get the upgraded RFTs in.

Then it's time to focus fully on the music- HDTracks, here I come. You'll be the site emptying my wallet for months (years?) ahead. :o2smile:

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,060 of 1,192
I have no experience with the other types, but from what I've seen on this thread, good 7236s are a solid choice for power tubes. I'll be rolling in EZ81s with foil getters in a day or two, thanks to advice from @jonathan c , and should see gains in bass tightness from what I've read.

Not one to be unprepared for tube shortages or rainy days, I've also bought a few added power tubes (General Electric 6AS7GAs, RCA 6AS7G (1968), and Sylvania JAN 6080WCs). Silly, I know, but I like to have some options if issues/age sets in with current tubes. I already have Mullard 6922s and Philips 6JD8s
TS 7236 is a bit solid state sounding. The rest of the tubes You mentioned are on the warmer side. I suggest You try Tung Sol 5998, it is kind of a mix of all those tubes, warmer than 7236 but very dynamic and detailed.

May 31, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #1,061 of 1,192
When not Tung Sol 5998, Mullard (rebrand Philips) 6080 takes on the power chores for WA2 chez moi. Another level of performance is attained when 6922 —> 12AT7 with adapters. In my case, this evening, Brimar CV455 (KB/FB: Footscray, 1956). Behind the 6080s, working their magic, are the RFT EZ81 ‘foil getter’ rectifier tubes. Warming up for an OTL** session:
2785B0F5-15FC-4CFD-8B83-DF4B170D775F.jpeg
** Off Track Listening 🤗

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,062 of 1,192
TS 7236 is a bit solid state sounding. The rest of the tubes You mentioned are on the warmer side. I suggest You try Tung Sol 5998, it is kind of a mix of all those tubes, warmer than 7236 but very dynamic and detailed.
Thanks, good to know!

The main challenge I’ve found with the T-S 5998 is their scarcity and price… if anyone has a lead on a matched pair that aren’t egregiously expensive, please PM me!

Trying out the RCA 6AS7Gs right now and they aren’t bad, but have some hum with no signal present. I’ll chalk that up to a need for run-in, as they are NOS and quite pristine.

The RCAs are otherwise quite dynamic, with good clarity and frequency range. Bass is very tight/fast, though seems lacking in detail and richness/warmth vs. the T-S 7236s. A good backup tube pair if the 7236s run into issues.

(Trial of the 6080s and 6AS7GAs remains…)

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #1,063 of 1,192
The main challenge I’ve found with the T-S 5998 is their scarcity and price… if anyone has a lead on a matched pair that aren’t egregiously expensive, please PM me!
Here You go:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here.410326/post-16988989

A nice thread BTW.

Trying out the RCA 6AS7Gs right now and they aren’t bad, but have some hum with no signal present. I’ll chalk that up to a need for run-in, as they are NOS and quite pristine.
All my RCA are noisy unfortunately as well. I would say RCA are on another end to TSS7236 with respect to sound.

Jun 3, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,064 of 1,192
Jun 3, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #1,065 of 1,192
Don't complicate things. Here's what you do.
Step #1 - Rob your local 7-11.
Step #2 - GEC 6AS7G power tubes, RFT EZ81 foil getter rectifiers and pick between the following for your driver tubes,
depending on your mood: Telefunken ECC801S, Brimar CV455 or RFT ECC81 with foil getters.
You'll need the adapters for all 3 driver choices.
Step #3 - Sit back and enjoy more music than you can possibly ever digest.

(Haha, I'm only half kidding)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back