Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #992 of 1,192
Hi guys,

I'm deciding to get a OTL amp for my HS800S and upcoming ZMF verite open. I'm deciding a used WA3 or new WA2 (since they have free international shipping). What makes the WA2 over WA3? There are 6 tubes. The tube rolling cost is going to be high. What do you suggest the 1st pair of tubes to roll that is most noticeable in SQ? Thanks!
I have bought wa3 (second hand) with stock tubes and it sounds nice. Have just bought wa2 so probably will be selling wa3.

Nov 4, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #994 of 1,192
Congrats. What made you move to wa2? What tubes are you going to try? Thanks.
Acyially, I made a move for two reasons: a look and that some say wa2 is an upgrade. I have TS5998, 6as7g and 7236. Also RCA 6a7 (though a bit noisy) 6n13s. For drivers I have mullards. WA3 sounded really good with stock tubes being 7236 (I do not know brand) and phillips 6922.

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #995 of 1,192
Acyially, I made a move for two reasons: a look and that some say wa2 is an upgrade. I have TS5998, 6as7g and 7236. Also RCA 6a7 (though a bit noisy) 6n13s. For drivers I have mullards. WA3 sounded really good with stock tubes being 7236 (I do not know brand) and phillips 6922.

I currently have Cayin HA-1A MK2 which is a transformer coupled amp. I'm not accessable to woo audio amp in Hong Kong. I wonder how good they sound. I'm ordering ZMF Verite Open and I have HD800S now. everybody says to go with OTL with DD HPs..... Should I order a WA2?! LOL 🙃

btw, where do you suggest me to get those tubes. I worry the counterfeit one. I love the TS5998 from what I read so far. they are costly too...

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #996 of 1,192
I currently have Cayin HA-1A MK2 which is a transformer coupled amp. I'm not accessable to woo audio amp in Hong Kong. I wonder how good they sound. I'm ordering ZMF Verite Open and I have HD800S now. everybody says to go with OTL with DD HPs..... Should I order a WA2?! LOL 🙃

btw, where do you suggest me to get those tubes. I worry the counterfeit one. I love the TS5998 from what I read so far. they are costly too...

I had no chance to listen to wa3 before I got it and I have never listened to wa2 yet. I have bought wa2 without listening and tomorrow (hopefully, when it is delivered) will be the first time I will see wa2.

I have verite open, I really like how they sound with wa3 and decided to go for wa2. I like how OTL amps sound, although It is very subjective. Verite Open are said to sound well with many amps. If it is worth to go for OTL You should decide Yourself.

If You worry about tube prices do not go for these amps... wa3 is easier to deal with in terms of tubes, as it has no rectifier tubes and only need one power tube.

I get tubes mostly on ebay. But the prices are going up and up unfortunately. Power tubes for those amps are not in current production. You only are able to buy old stuff. False tubes are not uncommon unfortunately. If You worry reconsider OTL or try wa3 first, but it is up to You. Without trying OTL You will never know. I am quite sure there is a possiblity to listen to OTL amp in HK.

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #997 of 1,192
I had no chance to listen to wa3 before I got it and I have never listened to wa2 yet. I have bought wa2 without listening and tomorrow (hopefully, when it is delivered) will be the first time I will see wa2.

I have verite open, I really like how they sound with wa3 and decided to go for wa2. I like how OTL amps sound, although It is very subjective. Verite Open are said to sound well with many amps. If it is worth to go for OTL You should decide Yourself.

If You worry about tube prices do not go for these amps... wa3 is easier to deal with in terms of tubes, as it has no rectifier tubes and only need one power tube.

I get tubes mostly on ebay. But the prices are going up and up unfortunately. Power tubes for those amps are not in current production. You only are able to buy old stuff. False tubes are not uncommon unfortunately. If You worry reconsider OTL or try wa3 first, but it is up to You. Without trying OTL You will never know. I am quite sure there is a possiblity to listen to OTL amp in HK.
Thanks bro. Im sure you will enjoy wa2 more! 😆👍🏻

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #998 of 1,192
Hello WA2 guys. I just place my order on wa2. I have read TS5998 is the best currently available. But i also see some variations. 1. Top getter 2. Bottom getter. which is the better one as 2. Is more exp.

For driver tubes, do you suggest these 2 to get different sound signature? What else i can look for?
1. Amperex 6dj8 bugle boy
2. JAN-Sylvania 7308

Will you upg the rectifier the last?

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #999 of 1,192
Hello WA2 guys. I just place my order on wa2. I have read TS5998 is the best currently available. But i also see some variations. 1. Top getter 2. Bottom getter. which is the better one as 2. Is more exp.

For driver tubes, do you suggest these 2 to get different sound signature? What else i can look for?
2. JAN-Sylvania 7308

Yes to rectifier being last

ts5998 are a fair option as my beloved. gec6as7g are generally way too expensive now

i own quite a few tubes including pinched waist.
my best bang for buck are my red valvo e188cc d-getter, 1960 from memory, but i think generally speaking e188cc from 60’s come up well. strong detail with a nice touch of the holland tone.

(first photo shows d getter)

image.jpg

image.jpg

my first pair of 6dj8 were bugle boys but they were nothing special but they only cost me about $50.

even holland e88cc tubes are good but ecc88 again are nothing special too from my experience and for my preference. Ymmv

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,000 of 1,192

2. JAN-Sylvania 7308

There are a few variations of the 5998, but the WA2 community doesn't seem to have a clear preference of one over the other, so they probably all sound similar. If you're having a hard time finding an affordable pair of 5998 tubes, the Svetlana 6H13C is the closest affordable tube I've come across. For your driver, the late 1960s Amperex ECC88 with orange globe ink (not the A-frame) is great for the money. I hear the older the Bugle Boys, the better, so it might be worth the extra cash to get one from the 1950s or early 1960s.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #1,001 of 1,192
I got some Tung Sol 5998's and may have already messed them (or something) up. They were fine (not noisy) the first full day. Then that night I listened to the amp with my LCD-4's. I had to turn the volume about half way up to get some decent volume. No problems then. The next day I turned on the amp with the headphones plugged in that I bought the amp for and listened to the first day: HD800 S. I did not have the headphones on but I heard a loud noise from the headphones and hear noises when there is no music playing from both channels (not at the same time.) They are quiet when listening to music. But there are noises on startup and shut down when I have the volume all the way down. Did I mess something up or are these tubes bad or is nothing wrong? I heard no noise with the stock tubes and have had the amp only a week. Had the Tung Sol tubes for a few days.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,002 of 1,192
I got some Tung Sol 5998's and may have already messed them (or something) up. They were fine (not noisy) the first full day. Then that night I listened to the amp with my LCD-4's. I had to turn the volume about half way up to get some decent volume. No problems then. The next day I turned on the amp with the headphones plugged in that I bought the amp for and listened to the first day: HD800 S. I did not have the headphones on but I heard a loud noise from the headphones and hear noises when there is no music playing from both channels (not at the same time.) They are quiet when listening to music. But there are noises on startup and shut down when I have the volume all the way down. Did I mess something up or are these tubes bad or is nothing wrong? I heard no noise with the stock tubes and have had the amp only a week. Had the Tung Sol tubes for a few days.
If you hear noise with the volume at minimum, then it's very likely a tube issue. What kind of noise do you hear?

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,005 of 1,192
Popping and hissing.
Some noise like that is normal on startup and shutdown, but should subside after a minute or two. Sometimes when using NOS tubes for the first time, it can take a week or two before it settles down. If it doesn't get better over time then the tubes are probably defective. One possible thing that can make the popping worse is if your rectifier tubes are warm but the power tubes are cold. Like if you listened to music for a while then changed the power tubes and turned on your amp before you let the rectifiers cool down completely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back