Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #856 of 1,192
I would go for it! They look New Old Stock and like @billerb1 said offer $25 ea, and see what happens.
Haha I heeded @billerb1's advice and the seller accepted the offer! PM'd him to thank him :).

Thanks for reassuring me that this is (probably) a good idea! Will report back on the tubes' quality once they arrive.

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #857 of 1,192
Haha I heeded @billerb1's advice and the seller accepted the offer! PM'd him to thank him :).

Thanks for reassuring me that this is (probably) a good idea! Will report back on the tubes' quality once they arrive.

sgt schultz.jpg

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #858 of 1,192
maheeinfy, all the tubes matter when using the pre-amp out. I dual task my WA2 as a pre and headphone amp and love it. The better the tubes, the better it sounds.
Here is my tube assessment for the WA2
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations.393811/page-44#post-12308869
Sorry for the long time delay in an answer, haven't been here in awhile and I'm not getting notifications like I should.

Enjoyed reading your tube comparisons when I was looking at the WA2 as a possible purchase.
Question: I know the WA2 can handle up to 600mA heater current because the 6N1P is listed as a compatible tube, but can it handle the 950mA of the ECC32?

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #859 of 1,192
Enjoyed reading your tube comparisons when I was looking at the WA2 as a possible purchase.
Question: I know the WA2 can handle up to 600mA heater current because the 6N1P is listed as a compatible tube, but can it handle the 950mA of the ECC32?

rnros, I have been running my pair of ECC32s for a year and a half with no problems. It seems to handle the higher heater current, no problem. The WA2 sounds so good with this tube. I'm still running it with WE 421As and Marconi U709s also.

Here is the adapter I use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191186405190?chn=ps&dispItem=1

No need to change tubes or experiment anymore. I wonder what the lifespan is on these tubes. I figure the beginning of 2018 I'll try new pairs as a I have backups for the tubes I'm currently running. NOS Tubes have gotten more expensive the past few years.

Uunfortunately Woo has discontinued the preamp out in their current WA2 production. Perhaps you can find old stock or used that has the preamp output. I was very disappointed in that development. Not a good thing to decrease performance of a product. The preamp out gave the WA2 amazing value. It was one of the main reasons I bought it in the first place. I'm using Beyer T1s as my headphone. Very good symmetry there.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #861 of 1,192
rnros, I have been running my pair of ECC32s for a year and a half with no problems. It seems to handle the higher heater current, no problem. The WA2 sounds so good with this tube. I'm still running it with WE 421As and Marconi U709s also.

Here is the adapter I use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191186405190?chn=ps&dispItem=1

No need to change tubes or experiment anymore. I wonder what the lifespan is on these tubes. I figure the beginning of 2018 I'll try new pairs as a I have backups for the tubes I'm currently running. NOS Tubes have gotten more expensive the past few years.

Uunfortunately Woo has discontinued the preamp out in their current WA2 production. Perhaps you can find old stock or used that has the preamp output. I was very disappointed in that development. Not a good thing to decrease performance of a product. The preamp out gave the WA2 amazing value. It was one of the main reasons I bought it in the first place. I'm using Beyer T1s as my headphone. Very good symmetry there.

Thank you for the quick response and the lead! However, I have already ordered a different amp.
Was surprised when I realized the WA2 could handle the 6SN7, in the company promo it's always shown with the noval tubes. Thought the appeal would be greater if the 6SN7 option was known.
I'll look forward to trying the GEC power tubes, next year perhaps, but even the 6080s are tough to find in matched pairs. Already have a selection of power tubes that I need to work through, and of course, the cost of the GECs is major.
Also will have to think about the Mullard ECC32, found them for about $300 each, so that will also be a future consideration. But I do have a large variety of drivers to keep me busy for now.
Thanks again, appreciate the help. May those tubes continue to glow for a long time!

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #862 of 1,192
Yes, NOS tubes are getting scarcer and more expensive all the time. Fortunately, I have a nice stock of great tubes for my WA2.

I hope you enjoy your new amp as much as I enjoy the WA2. What amp did you get??

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #863 of 1,192
Yes, NOS tubes are getting scarcer and more expensive all the time. Fortunately, I have a nice stock of great tubes for my WA2.

I hope you enjoy your new amp as much as I enjoy the WA2. What amp did you get??

Thanks. I do have several of the Schiit tube amps which are very good, especially the hybrids, but I wanted to try an all tube OTL.
Glenn OTL, with additional options for driver and power tubes. Driver options include the 6SN7 group including 12V and 25V versions, and the C3g.
Power tube options include 6AS7/6080, 6BL7, 6BX7. Also the 6336s with 5A heaters.
Lots of options to explore, will keep me busy. : )

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #864 of 1,192
Thanks. I do have several of the Schiit tube amps which are very good, especially the hybrids, but I wanted to try an all tube OTL.
Glenn OTL, with additional options for driver and power tubes. Driver options include the 6SN7 group including 12V and 25V versions, and the C3g.
Power tube options include 6AS7/6080, 6BL7, 6BX7. Also the 6336s with 5A heaters.
Lots of options to explore, will keep me busy. : )

Congrats on the Glenn OTL! Glenn is building my EL3N right now. I also have the WA2 which is also a very good amp, but your version will give and endless tube capabilities along with top-of-the-line sonic capabilities. Enjoy!!!!

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #865 of 1,192

Franatic, good to see your still enjoying the WA2!

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #866 of 1,192
Thanks, RU4! My tube experimenting period is over but hope my posts help others to make good decisions. Yes, I've had my WA2 for 3 years now. I got some great tubes to roll so I look to get at least another 3 out of it.

I see you're into Glenn OTL amps these days. They must be pretty sweet. Good luck with your new amp. Let us know how you like it and how it compares to the WA2.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #867 of 1,192
Thanks, RU4! My tube experimenting period is over but hope my posts help others to make good decisions. Yes, I've had my WA2 for 3 years now. I got some great tubes to roll so I look to get at least another 3 out of it.

I see you're into Glenn OTL amps these days. They must be pretty sweet. Good luck with your new amp. Let us know how you like it and how it compares to the WA2.

Well no, not necessarily OTL. I have a Glenn EL3N based amp (transformer coupled) currently being built which is more similar to a 45 output tube topology. I still have the WA2 which I love to listen to as well!

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #868 of 1,192
Congrats on the Glenn OTL! Glenn is building my EL3N right now. I also have the WA2 which is also a very good amp, but your version will give and endless tube capabilities along with top-of-the-line sonic capabilities. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks, and yes, very much looking forward to the tube options available and the sonic qualities of this OTL.
And congrats to you also on the EL3N, should be a stellar experience.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #870 of 1,192

Users who are viewing this thread

Back