Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Feb 2, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #647 of 1,192
Ha!

Yes, we stumbled about, clueless, deft in urban legend, in the dark ages, before the internet :)

:p

That sounds like something out of Jim morrison's american prayer

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #648 of 1,192
I haven't posted here in a while, but I have been busy tube rolling. I want to thank all the posters for providing me much background info as I rolled tubes in and out, especially RU4music, MikeLap, and Heatfan12. I love my WA2 and I use it as both a headphone amp and a preamp for my speakers system. This is a very good amp and with the right tubes it is a fantastic amp. So I'll leave some quick impressions on my top 5 of each type of tube.

Power tubes:
1) Western Electric 421A- powerful, airy and dynamic. Huge sounstage with a 3D quality. Superb details. Intoxicated from the first listen, whether from my T1s or my speakers.
2) GEC 6AS7G - Slightly warm, very musical, refined details. Has both rich tone and great speed with  deep articulate bass. Very apparent why this is a favorite of many
3a) Tung Sol 5998- very detailed and powerful. Much like the 421A but without the air and 3D imaging that makes the 421A so special.
3b) GEC 6080 - the GEC 6AS7Gs more affordable little brother, has 90% of his quality at half the price.
3c) Sylvania 7236- A very underated all around performer.

Preamp/Driver tubes: (6SN7s & ECC32 w/adapter)
1) Mullard ECC32 brown bass - Hands down best driver tube I tried. Rich lush tones, refined details, great focus, speed, bass, almost any desirable quality, it has. It almost plays like an instrument itself. Makes the whole system euphonious. :)))
2) Tung Sol VT-231A - Very dynamic, very fast. spectacularly detailed. Paired very well with the GEC 6AS7G in my system.
3) 6N23P '74 Reflektor Silver shield single wire getter post - What a superb little tube. Rich, dynamic, fast with great focus and holographic imagery.
4) Sylvania 6SN7GT - most slam and best bottom end of any tube tried.....and yet it still maintains good balance and performance in mids and upper ranges.
5) Siemens CCA - large soundstage and 3D holographic imaging. Perhaps the greatest focus of all tubes with exquisite micro-details but lacks a bit of warmth

Rectifier tubes:
1) Marconi U709 - Very, very rare and by far the best rectfier tube. It's kind of like giving the amp a power supply upgrade. Lower noise floor, greater details and clarity, deeper bass. Everything plays with more flourish. I did not expect this much improvement from a rectifier tube.
*******not much to say other than a good rectifier tube makes your driver and power tubes better. I will rank the rest
2) Brimar EZ81
3) Telefunken EZ80
4) Mullard EZ81
5) RFT EZ80

Since 2 of my top tubes are made in England, my love of British valves is apparent. I have to thank Kef at ValveTubes for supplying me with the Mullard ECC32s and the Marconi U709s. It is nice to form a relationship with a good tube guy and I can rely on Kef to provide me the best. I love my WA2 and with the WE421A, the Mullard Ecc32s and the Marconi U709s, this amp sounds so good it blows my mind and brings a smile to my face every time I listen.

Roll on my friends.......and rock too!

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #649 of 1,192

Power tubes:
1) Western Electric 421A- powerful, airy and dynamic. Huge sounstage with a 3D quality. Superb details. Intoxicated from the first listen, whether from my T1s or my speakers.
2) GEC 6AS7G - Slightly warm, very musical, refined details. Has both rich tone and great speed with  deep articulate bass. Very apparent why this is a favorite of many
3a) Tung Sol 5998- very detailed and powerful. Much like the 421A but without the air and 3D imaging that makes the 421A so special.
3b) GEC 6080 - the GEC 6AS7Gs more affordable little brother, has 90% of his quality at half the price.
3c) Sylvania 7236- A very underated all around performer.

Roll on my friends.......and rock too!

Wow... Nice write-up. 
beerchug.gif

I have all of the above Power tubes and with my WA3, you are dead-on with your ranking and description. I really do need to upgrade to a WA2.

However, I encourage you to consider adding one more: the Tung-Sol 6520 (which I would rate in the 3 category, along with the others ... maybe even 3a). A fantastic and underrated tube.

With the driver tubes (again, with a WA3), you should check out the Telefunken E188CC (Ulm '60s, if you can find them). I have basically stopped rolling driver tubes since I switched back to these.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #650 of 1,192

Wow... Nice write-up. 
beerchug.gif

I have all of the above Power tubes and with my WA3, you are dead-on with your ranking and description. I really do need to upgrade to a WA2.

However, I encourage you to consider adding one more: the Tung-Sol 6520 (which I would rate in the 3 category, along with the others ... maybe even 3a). A fantastic and underrated tube.

With the driver tubes (again, with a WA3), you should check out the Telefunken E188CC (Ulm '60s, if you can find them). I have basically stopped rolling driver tubes since I switched back to these.

Thanks, Krutsch

The preamp output is what sold me on the WA2. Really makes it a great investment.

I have the TS 6520 and perhaps it could join the 3 category. It is a 'tweener, like as if the GEC6080 and the TS5998 had a baby. Now if its parents were a 421A and a GEC 6AS7G, it could rise to the top of the list.

I have Telefunken E88CC and an Amperex 6922 PQ white label and they rank just behind the Siemens CCA. If I had an elite pair of Tele E188ccs, they might make the list.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #651 of 1,192
Cary Audio HH-1 amp I recently acquired has a somewhat warm sound signature like a WA2.  Slightly narrower sound stage but has some more depth about on par imaging but deeper and tighter bass.  However it hasn't quite the transparency as with the gec 6sa7 can bring in the WA2 even with the pinch waist 6922 I've installed in the HH-1 but it is close.  Anyway, I mention this here as the both use 6922 tubes.  Can anyone compare the WA2 to the Lyr2 or Moljnir2 or other 6922 amps like maybe decware CSP3?

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #653 of 1,192
T
For ****s & giggles I thought id try my sennheiser ie800 in my WA2 and IMGAwd! It sounds amazing!

lol

That's great when you find something like that.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #655 of 1,192
Has anyone tried the Genalex gold lions yet? I just bought a WA2 for Christmas and they were my first upgrade from the stock tubes. I am also using Tung Sol 5998s and a new set of Ei EZ80s. All made a significant upgrade but I can tell the 6922s are the ones that really change the sound signature. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me how they compare to more popular options like maybe the Siemens or amperex tubes.

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #656 of 1,192

Preamp/Driver tubes: (6SN7s & ECC32 w/adapter)
1) Mullard ECC32 brown bass - Hands down best driver tube I tried. Rich lush tones, refined details, great focus, speed, bass, almost any desirable quality, it has. It almost plays like an instrument itself. Makes the whole system euphonious. :)))
2) Tung Sol VT-231A - Very dynamic, very fast. spectacularly detailed. Paired very well with the GEC 6AS7G in my system.
3) 6N23P '74 Reflektor Silver shield single wire getter post - What a superb little tube. Rich, dynamic, fast with great focus and holographic imagery.
4) Sylvania 6SN7GT - most slam and best bottom end of any tube tried.....and yet it still maintains good balance and performance in mids and upper ranges.
5) Siemens CCA - large soundstage and 3D holographic imaging. Perhaps the greatest focus of all tubes with exquisite micro-details but lacks a bit of warmth

Hey Franatic,

Mullard ECC32, are u talking about these babies : http://www.ebay.com/itm/mullard-CV181-ecc32-very-slightly-used-ONE-PAIR-/322104824935?hash=item4afef19467:g:naMAAOSwy5ZXCzl~ ?

Also what adapter would I need to use these in WA2 ?

Is it this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-6SN7-Replace-12AU7-Tube-Amplifier-Socket-Adapter-12-6V-Suzier-A4-/281951474478?hash=item41a59e132e:g:2hoAAOSwWBJXBGVs ?

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #657 of 1,192

Hey Franatic,

Mullard ECC32, are u talking about these babies : http://www.ebay.com/itm/mullard-CV181-ecc32-very-slightly-used-ONE-PAIR-/322104824935?hash=item4afef19467:g:naMAAOSwy5ZXCzl~ ?

Also what adapter would I need to use these in WA2 ?

Is it this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-6SN7-Replace-12AU7-Tube-Amplifier-Socket-Adapter-12-6V-Suzier-A4-/281951474478?hash=item41a59e132e:g:2hoAAOSwWBJXBGVs ?

Hi Flisker,
Those are the ones. The price is high, but to get a top pair you will pay. I got mine from ValveTubes. You can find them here:
https://valvetubes.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ecc32
Ask Kef for a quote, you can be sure he will give you a great pair.

That adapter is not correct. Try this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6SN7-6n8p-CV181-TO-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-tube-adapter-CMC-ceramic-sock-/191226140400?hash=item2c85f756f0:g:hNwAAOSw6oBXEfjG
You can find cheaper ones but if you are going to spend for those tubes you want a good adapter. That is the one I use. He will combine shipping on 2.

Hands down the best driver tube. You won't regret spending the money once you hear them.

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #658 of 1,192
  Hi Flisker,
Those are the ones. The price is high, but to get a top pair you will pay. I got mine from ValveTubes. You can find them here:
https://valvetubes.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ecc32
Ask Kef for a quote, you can be sure he will give you a great pair.

That adapter is not correct. Try this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6SN7-6n8p-CV181-TO-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-tube-adapter-CMC-ceramic-sock-/191226140400?hash=item2c85f756f0:g:hNwAAOSw6oBXEfjG
You can find cheaper ones but if you are going to spend for those tubes you want a good adapter. That is the one I use. He will combine shipping on 2.

Hands down the best driver tube. You won't regret spending the money once you hear them.

Thanks a lot for fast reply, info and links 
wink.gif

Sent mail about the price on valvetubes.com.
I have WA2 on the way, so I'll first have some time with it and than maybe go for these 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #659 of 1,192
I just bought my first tube amp (wa2) 2 weeks ago. I am still noob about tube rolling. I read on this thread that tung sol 5998 is a great tubes for wa2. My question is if tung sol 5998 is different to tung sol jan 5998 in terms of sound quality. Thanks

Jun 25, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #660 of 1,192
I just bought my first tube amp (wa2) 2 weeks ago. I am still noob about tube rolling. I read on this thread that tung sol 5998 is a great tubes for wa2. My question is if tung sol 5998 is different to tung sol jan 5998 in terms of sound quality. Thanks

No difference in SQ.  Just make sure you get the ST (shoulder) glass with the domino plates 5998 (not 5998A etc.)  You may find these labeled as Tung Sol or Chatham etc. Also you can look for the 2399 tube with the same characteristics, this is the same tube as the TS 5998 before Tung Sol bought out Chatham.

Welcome to the club, enjoy!

BTW, JAN is the Joint Army Navy (military designation) for the same tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back