WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #46 of 2,600
Really? I guess the HE500 is quite a cool and revealing headphone. Perhaps try the Reflektor set mentioned in post7. There's even an eBay link. They are only around $40-$50 shipped. Experiences will vary based on the cans you use by my impressions of these tubes can also be seen there. It may also prove worthwhile holding out till my Electro Harmonix gold pins arrive to compare them to.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #48 of 2,600
Quote:
Quote:

Thanking you again man, your tempting me to bite the bullet on LCD2 
size]

Do it, do it! We have to know how it compares to the LCD-2/Pan Am combo!

I have both amps here. Remember that the PanAm is designed to be, optionally, battery-powered. That means it has much less power than the WA7. All the same, unless one turns the volume up with some dramatic orchestral works, it still does very well at moderate listening levels, even with my LCD-3s. Using the better tube options for the PanAm the sound is more neutral and lively than the WA7, which is more warm and euphoric (with stock tubes).

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #49 of 2,600
Arigatto Gozaymasu Amos-chan!! Humbled to have your input, and delighted to find you have both amps and LCD3 with you!!

I'm intrigued by your thoughts that the Pan Am is neutral (or at least more so). I found the Pan Am (with stock tubes) to have more colored bass than the Asgard, and to be bolder (but not warmer) than the WA6. Personally I found both the Pan Am and the WA7 to both be in the same sound vein, or signature direction, only I prefer the tonality and power of the WOO offering. Obviously also the look and build for essentially the same money (or less if you are in Australia and paid by the preorder cut off).

I'd be extremely interested to hear your view on both with stock tubes. Then both with your first choice of alternate tubes in either unit, if you find the time. What are your favorite cans for the Pan Am? How do these same cans compare through the WA7?

Sorry for bombarding you, obviously take your time.

Many thanks!

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #50 of 2,600
Quote:
Really? I guess the HE500 is quite a cool and revealing headphone. Perhaps try the Reflektor set mentioned in post7. There's even an eBay link. They are only around $40-$50 shipped. Experiences will vary based on the cans you use by my impressions of these tubes can also be seen there. It may also prove worthwhile holding out till my Electro Harmonix gold pins arrive to compare them to.

I am thinking if i should purchase a pair of WE437 .. just to see if the sound can improve..

but the price tag...scared the shxx out of me...

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #51 of 2,600
Personally i think its too much to spend. Depending where you get them they are often much more than the total cost of the amp iteslf. Try the reflektor and EHX gold pins. Or just wait till tomorrow night as my electro harmonix just arrived in the mail.

unboxing, and initial impressions tomorrow.
Then i plan a brief comparison of the three tubes, and finally ill burn each set in properly and re-evaluate.

Hope to do as much of this as quickly as possible in mt downtime from my 6-7 day a week job! 
size]
some hobby!

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #52 of 2,600
I'm not fond of the stock tubes that the PanAm comes with. I haven't found them to give particularly good bass response in some of my headphones. My comments were derived from comparison to my main solid-state system (which was designed with the intent that it have no coloration whatsoever).

By the way, "-chan" is the suffix for girl child, neither of which I am. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #54 of 2,600
Quote:

I have both amps here. Remember that the PanAm is designed to be, optionally, battery-powered. That means it has much less power than the WA7. All the same, unless one turns the volume up with some dramatic orchestral works, it still does very well at moderate listening levels, even with my LCD-3s. Using the better tube options for the PanAm the sound is more neutral and lively than the WA7, which is more warm and euphoric (with stock tubes).

*GASPS* I was addressed by the mighty Currawong! :D It is an honor, sir. And thank you for the comparison, lots of stuff to think about. What are your favorite tubes for the Pan Am? (No need to respond again if you don't want to, one response from your highness is enough for a lifetime)

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #55 of 2,600
Hey guys - Once I get mine ...  I can't remember seeing many comments about this (?), but any tidbits concerning burn-in of the WA7?

The Valhalla was quite bright out of the box, but settled down quite nicely after about 50 - 100 hrs.

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #56 of 2,600
Quote:
I'm not fond of the stock tubes that the PanAm comes with. I haven't found them to give particularly good bass response in some of my headphones. My comments were derived from comparison to my main solid-state system (which was designed with the intent that it have no coloration whatsoever).

By the way, "-chan" is the suffix for girl child, neither of which I am. 
wink_face.gif

THanks mate. Comparing the Pan Am directly to the WA7, and leaving out the reference kit? I only ask because this is what most people would be eager to know being these amps are the closest in price and size on the market. Like a simple A, vs B same cans same song? I know its not as intense but rather than referencing from "0", referencing off each other seems to satisfy an itch.

Regarding the whole suffix thing, with more rigid and traditional 'desu' speak, yes you are correct, however in slang or street speak between friends (at least between Japanese people in Melbourne)it has no gender and is a term of endearment denoting friendship.
In rough order ( and im sure ill forget some)
sama (only samurai and otaku nerds use this)
dono (another weird text only, or very formal term)
sishu (teacher)/sensai (master)/taicho (military)/tensho (retail boss)
senpai (a colleague superior)
san (colleague or equal)
kun (masculin form of friend) 
chan (from a male over 40 to anyone younger this would be weird) most relaxed form between people who have come to know each other.

My apologies if ive ballsed it up there too. In retrospect I suppose if we are going to be all Japanese about it, it should have been senpai. I was really just trying to be funny/warm though dude. Sorry all the same.

Quote:
Hey guys - Once I get mine ...  I can't remember seeing many comments about this (?), but any tidbits concerning burn-in of the WA7?

The Valhalla was quite bright out of the box, but settled down quite nicely after about 50 - 100 hrs.

I havent noticed any difference so far, but then again ive been swapping tubes around a fair bit, and their probably the things that "burn in".

****super excited, my EH gold pins arrived last night, so ill have another set of tubes to play with tonight. Ill post initial thoughts, comparisons with the Sovtek and Refektor asap. And then ill likely take a longer while to listen to each again and again, then get back to you for a tube roundup/revisit. Im not expecting any MAJOR differences, but who knows? THe Reflector certainly raised a brow for me in overal tonality change (warmth, mainly on the mid and bottom end)***

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #58 of 2,600
Ooooohhh, telling Currawong, who lives in Japan, how to speak Japanese? GUFF THAT IS.

Wow, I don't think he would interperate it that way. It certainly wasn't intended that way, just explaining I didn't mean to apparently call him a girl! :). Lets keep this about the woo WA7 before anything else gets misconstrued, we are clearly all friends here.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #59 of 2,600
Quote:
Wow, I don't think he would intemperate it that way. It certainly wasn't intended that way, just explaining I didn't mean to apparently call him a girl!
smily_headphones1.gif
. Lets keep this about the woo WA7 before anything else gets misconstrued, we are clearly all friends here.

I was only jesting. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Yes, back to the WA7...

EDIT: Ooh, MrBigsby, do you think you could do a YouTube video overview-thingy on the amp? I like to see videos for gear like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back