WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #31 of 2,600
I use the CCK (iPad camera connection kit) supplied by apple. This enables USB input to any iPad and usually bypasses the DAC in the iPad (but not always for some reason?). In the case of the WA7 it does, confirmed by Jack. For an iPhone I haven't tried, I can try tonight but I immediately assume you would more likely use an RCA to LOD. There are nice silver RCA to LODs on eBay for $50-$60!!!! If like me you prefer copper they are there too. If you want something extra nerdy try toxic cables or ALO. 

Many thanks
Bigsby.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #32 of 2,600
Quote:
I use the CCK (iPad camera connection kit) supplied by apple. This enables USB input to any iPad and usually bypasses the DAC in the iPad (but not always for some reason?). In the case of the WA7 it does, confirmed by Jack. For an iPhone I haven't tried, I can try tonight but I immediately assume you would more likely use an RCA to LOD. There are nice silver RCA to LODs on eBay for $50-$60!!!! If like me you prefer copper they are there too. If you want something extra nerdy try toxic cables or ALO. 

Many thanks
Bigsby.

thanks, i have the cck and will try today or tomorrow. 

another questions (sorry, its my first ever tube amp) the metal case is quite warm (not burning "warm"). is it normal?

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #33 of 2,600
For the pre-order price that we got the WA7 at, they are AMAZING value for money when paired with the audezes. I think the only times i've heard them better are from the RWA isabellina and the Liquid fire, both costing many times more than the WA7, DAC accounted for, and the difference was around 20% if i had to quantify things.

That being said, haven't heard the LCD2 with the RWA darkstar or Woo's own WA6se.

And I've had mine running for 5 hours now. It is VERY warm

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #34 of 2,600
Quote:
thanks, i have the cck and will try today or tomorrow. 

another questions (sorry, its my first ever tube amp) the metal case is quite warm (not burning "warm"). is it normal?

An absolute pleasure dude. mmm, not sure. I mean tube amps do get warm, but usually Woo doesnt get too warm when compared to say the Asgard which can cook eggs after only half hour. My 7 hasnt gotten "warm" yet. I mean its not cold, and its above ambient temps, but it doesnt feel like the charger from my macbook after 2 hours use! I suppose it will all have a lot to do with ambient temps and air flow in the room... If you have a warm room and not much breeze, perhaps on hot days try running it glass-off and see if that makes a difference. Try to never handle the tubes with bare hands. If you have, when they are cold clean them with the included cloth. Residues from your skin can cause tubes/valves to prematurely expire from oily hot spots.

EDIT: its 37 celcius here now, and the glass is now quite warm, still wouldnt call it hot though. Ill check again in an hour.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #35 of 2,600
Page 1 (post 7) updated. 

A few things ive noticed or checked as per request:

1/ As i suspected CCK wont work on an iphone with the WA7.

2 and 3/ Keep your utilities in your task bar, you need to select 24/192 for 'speaker' (WA7) output everytime you connect. Otherwise youll develop paranoia about the ipad sounding better than the mac.

Quote one of my replies from the WA7 thread:

"Yes mate, I experienced the same thing. But changing the midi section sorted 99% of it out. I think I can still hear a very very slight difference, but it may very well be psychosomatic, after all I am some what of a Psycho Semite. 

I noticed some quiet intermittent sizzle through any of my cans (regardless of volume position) when this thing warms up. Almost like very quiet distant tidal sounds. It disappears after its warm though. I probably shouldn't be listening till its warmed up anyways so no harm done in my book.

I'm going to update my review in an hour or so to consolidate it all on the first post. Bit disjointed now. I had some fun with the WA7 and a new pair of T50RP yesterday, also have the new FA-011 rev2 AND the relatively new and aparently extremely impressive Soundmagic HP100 on the way over the next few days-week so ill keep adding as I go."

much love,
Bigsby.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #36 of 2,600
Quote:
An absolute pleasure dude. mmm, not sure. I mean tube amps do get warm, but usually Woo doesnt get too warm when compared to say the Asgard which can cook eggs after only half hour. My 7 hasnt gotten "warm" yet. I mean its not cold, and its above ambient temps, but it doesnt feel like the charger from my macbook after 2 hours use! I suppose it will all have a lot to do with ambient temps and air flow in the room... If you have a warm room and not much breeze, perhaps on hot days try running it glass-off and see if that makes a difference. Try to never handle the tubes with bare hands. If you have, when they are cold clean them with the included cloth. Residues from your skin can cause tubes/valves to prematurely expire from oily hot spots.

EDIT: its 37 celcius here now, and the glass is now quite warm, still wouldnt call it hot though. Ill check again in an hour.

now we have a common benchmark - the temp of the charger for mbp :p

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #37 of 2,600
mrbigsby - thanks for all the posts! 
I have also pre-ordered the WA7, but will only pick it up it in about 2 weeks when I return from overseas. Your contributions help me believe this is money well spent.
Having your reassurance that the WA7 pairs very well with LCD-2 gives me some comfort, but I'm planning to use it mostly with T5p. I have a feeling that for my listening this could be ultimate combo. I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks...
Cheers,

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #38 of 2,600
Thanks Pleasantsounds! Glad i could be of service. It seems there may have been a misinterpretation there somewhere as i have unfortunately not yet tried the 7 with LCD2, however as soon as i do ill keep you in the loop (same goes for T5p).

On page 2 there is another member who has this LCD2 combo, perhaps we can tease some more info out of him once he returns from WOOville?

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #39 of 2,600
Original post Page 1 Post 7  has now been updated (again) to include the first exercise in WA7 tube rolling.

There are a few updates there, and more to come, so scroll up to see what you may have missed if something seems out of context. Questions and requests are of course more than welcome.

Wishing you all well,
Bigsby.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #41 of 2,600
Quote:
Thanks Pleasantsounds! Glad i could be of service. It seems there may have been a misinterpretation there somewhere as i have unfortunately not yet tried the 7 with LCD2, however as soon as i do ill keep you in the loop (same goes for T5p).

On page 2 there is another member who has this LCD2 combo, perhaps we can tease some more info out of him once he returns from WOOville?

HAHA Hey Big I have been meaning to add some impressions to this post!

Prior to the WA7 i was using my Grado HF-2 with a FiiO E7/E9 pairing and also was borrowing my friends Schiit Asgard from time to time..
I picked up the LCD-2 only after my order for the WA7 was in " I wanted to be sure i had an amp that could compliment them".
The LCD-2 Rev1 with a Norse Audio Norn  series cable  where all bought here threw fellow head-fi,ers
I got the LCD-2 about 2 weeks prior to the WA7 and i knew hearing them from the FiiO E7/E9 that they where not being used to there full potential
because to be honest they did not sound has good as my Grado HF-2 threw either the FiiO setup or the Asgard.
So before the WA7 even got here i had very high expectations of it and knew it would either be a fantastic buy or a huge let down,

I set it up literally the moment it was dropped off by FedEx.
I used Foobar2000 with WASAPI for my first test Playing a 32 Bit FLAC Deftones Acoustic playlist " I usually use Audacity to check most of my files on my desktop so that is what i go on"
The Deftones FLAC in question was ripped for me by a friend a few years ago and left un doctored IE i still can hear the the scratching of the record when played from high end equipment,
And the difference from the FiiO to the WOO was night and day from the get go, The scratching from the Vinyl was there the sound stage was exactly where it need'ed to be,
To be sure The LCD-2's where coming through much better it was seriously like i was just hearing them for the first time, And could see what all the fuss about them was for myself.
It made me feel very good about the choice of the WOO WA7. I am looking forward to the meet in Atlanta in May so i can compare the WA7 to other amp,s there
as my town is not so great for head-fi,er,s. But from what i have read around the net and heard from others here if you picked the WA7 up at the preorder price it is fantastic bang for your buck!
And i feel i will be using it for years to come myself!

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #42 of 2,600
There he is! Thanks Bender.

Great to hear your enjoying your amp so much man. Its great to get satisfaction from a decent sized purchase. Cant wait to hear more once you get to that meet!!!

My city is actually very good for hifi, but unfortunately i havent heard of any meets in a long while. I did try to gently mention/organise one once though. Perhaps ill try again soon.

Thanking you again man, your tempting me to bite the bullet on LCD2 
size]

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #44 of 2,600
mmmm... I'm not a MASSIVE LCD fan, although I do like them a lot. Do I drop $a-grand in the interest of curiosity and wood-lust, or do I find some other way? Unfortunately there's no stores that have a demo WA7 but a couple with demo LCD2/3. Perhaps we need to organize a Melbourne meet? Someone with LCD, someone with the Pan Am, and ill bring... Cake?

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #45 of 2,600
Anyone know if there is any substitute for 6C45 that WA7 is using? I am using the WA7 with Hifiman 500 and found that the sound is a little bit lack of warmth... wanna change the tubes if possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back