WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #61 of 2,600
It's funny. It's very easy to screw up how to address someone here. Best to use "-san" if you're not 100% sure.  

About the PanAm and tubes: I'm going to stick with the idea that one should buy the PanAm and a better pair of tubes as some of them are only $9.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #62 of 2,600
Hmm, a quick physical tour of the amp, the amp in your setup (seeing amps next to headphones is always cool 
biggrin.gif
), and maybe your impressions in 30 seconds. Oh, and mention the tubes as well. 

P.S. Sorry if that sounded like an order, we appreciate the video very much ^_^

EDIT:
About the PanAm and tubes: I'm going to stick with the idea that one should buy the PanAm and a better pair of tubes as some of them are only $9.

Thanks Currawong!

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #63 of 2,600
It's funny. It's very easy to screw up how to address someone here. Best to use "-san" if you're not 100% sure.  

Thanks mate. Glad I didn't offend you.
Ok that's cool. So I guess it's best to wait till you have chosen the best tube for the WA7 to do a direct comparison between "the best" Pan Am, and "the best" WA7? In any case I'd be very interested in your opinion.

Many thanks!

Hmm, a quick physical tour of the amp, the amp in your setup (seeing amps next to headphones is always cool 
biggrin.gif

), and maybe your impressions in 30 seconds. Oh, and mention the tubes as well. 

P.S. Sorry if that sounded like an order, we appreciate the video very much ^_^

Happy to oblige buddy! I'm not one for being in film, but ill certainly compile something visually appealing and as informative as possible for you over the next couple days.

Thanks again.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #65 of 2,600
Thanks for your thoughts on the gold pins. Looks like i'm out on another 100 dollars :frowning2:

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #66 of 2,600
One of the points about the PanAm compared to the WA7 is that it transportable and can be used with the Passport battery. That means a design that uses less power and so has less overall grunt. But still, without jacking up the volume on big orchestral works while using demanding cans for example, it does pretty well. No such issues with the WA7 of course. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #67 of 2,600
I did read an interesting comment Jack made once about a future revision of the WA7 posible being portable. However it wouldnt be possible with the gen 1 product. I may see if i can dig it up- just have to remember where it was said. In any case i think its too heavy and bulky to be portable. TO me portable means pocket or at least bag sized. Neither of these amps really are.  Although similarly sized to the WA7, the Pan Am is lighter and does have a passport battery. I still couldnt see myself using it on the go. Maybe id travel with it? It did have a nice sound.

HAHA it was here on headfi after all! Page two of The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio thread
"...Power consumption is 25W max. Battery operation is not feasible in this version and maybe the next, maybe. Yes, we plan on releasing an amp-only version in the future."-Jack Woo (founder Woo Audio).

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #68 of 2,600
do i get a lemon?

i just feel something is not right....

first of all, the temp of the metal case. after about 3-4 hours, the metal case is burning hot. maybe not burning, but definitely not just warm. there is also burning smell, like plastic burning, not severe, but anyone can smell that without any effort. 

it is my first tube amp, so i dont have any comparison or experience about these stuff. 

there is also sound problem. dont know how to describe, i just feel the music sounds quite messy. i tried both hd650 and T1. i didnt notice this problem when i used e17 with hd650. i will do a comparison this weekend. 

anyone can give me some ideas (or comfort me)? 

ps.
the amp already ran for more about 10 hours in total since i received it. (if it matters). 

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #69 of 2,600
ok, i did a quick comparison by using two setups to play a same flac. 

rmbp+e17+hd650

rmbp+wa7+t1

i never noticed the issue i mentioned before when  i used e17. the reason is just that i never noticed

even though it is not as obvious as i use wa7 + t1/hd50, the "flaw" is still there. knowing this, i feel relieved. 

i am very very tired, have to goto bed now. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #70 of 2,600
I had the burning smell with the Reflektor tubes, but my amp is yet to get hotter than warm. For a tube amp actually i think the temp is quite low. Again i assume it has more to do with ambient temps and air flow. For instance its summer in Australia so i have my aircon going quite a bit and even though the amp is far far away from it, it must play a role in why mine is not surpassing "warm". Im guessing we will know more when we have more basis of comparison. Mine certainly as no issues like that.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #71 of 2,600
Amps will get warm, sometimes very warm. The tubes will get too hot to touch, enough so any dust on them (from the packaging?) might produce a bit of a burning smell I imagine. In my room, which is around 20-22 degrees C the glass and metal case only get a little warm, even after a few hours. If the case were getting so warm you could barely touch it then I'd be worried, but not otherwise.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #75 of 2,600
Hey alwaysec,
I've been running mine nonstop for around 4 hours with either music or pink noise.  Both the amp case and the psu are warm with no smell.  Is the voltage set correctly on your psu?  Something seems strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back