WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,351 of 2,600
  Hey Guys, Looking for your impressions on using the AKG K812 with the WA7... Looking for that perfect flagship phone for my fireflies that caters to my large-soundstage and slightly treble-favoring preferences. Current phones are the K701s and I love the combo, but I know I can do better. Thanks!

Why not the HD800? Seems to fit what you're looking for. Pairs very well with the WA7 too.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,352 of 2,600
Why not the HD800? Seems to fit what you're looking for. Pairs very well with the WA7 too.

It's definitely on my list, as is the TH900. I just want to hear impressions of all these pairings before jumping, and I can't find much on the K812 combo. I also have a slight interest in staying loyal to AKG since I love the K701 so much and naively assume the K812 might be my favorite flagship, even if it isn't everyone else's.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,353 of 2,600
K812 sounds nothing like the 701.  When I first listened to the 812 I couldn't even believe it was from AKG.  It has a much heavier bottom end than any AKG I've listened to and is a little more V shaped in its sound.  I really like them (from what I remember listening to Sonido's pair) but I don't think I could pay more than $1k for them.  I still prefer my LCD2 over the 812 but it would be a great complimentary set of headphones.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #1,354 of 2,600
  Hey Guys, Looking for your impressions on using the AKG K812 with the WA7... Looking for that perfect flagship phone for my fireflies that caters to my large-soundstage and slightly treble-favoring preferences. Current phones are the K701s and I love the combo, but I know I can do better. Thanks!

Beyer T1... is also on sale right now

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,356 of 2,600
I'm considering getting the tube PSU as an upgrade, and would like to get some opinions from those who have already done that:

What differences should I expect? Is tube rolling on the PSU noticeable at all?

If that matters, I'm using primarily HD800 headphones and an external high end DAC.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,357 of 2,600
  I'm considering getting the tube PSU as an upgrade, and would like to get some opinions from those who have already done that:

If that matters, I'm using primarily HD800 headphones and an external high end DAC.

I am enjoying the tube PSU in combination with the HD800 very much
Compared to WA7 alone the sound is stronger , more opaque without loosing the WA7 character
Mixed results with tube rolling , one threw an arc on start so that pair was discarded , one pair made the treble too harsh with the HD800
Many were recommending the Sylvania 5814a and I found these gave increased bass and a more euphonic mid-range I have stuck with them since
Rolling is far more effective than I had anticipated , although I have only tried a couple of sets there were clear winners an losers
On the other hand stock tubes are very good and although I am enjoying the Sylvania tubes I was also happy with the stock unit

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,358 of 2,600

Benefits of the WA7tp:

-Expanded Soundstage depth/width
-Tighter and more textured bass
-Greater separation and sense of air
-Greater sense of tonal clarity/purity
-Improved transparency
-Tube swapping  on the PSU to further customize your sound

A highly resolving headphone such as the HD800 will absolutely benefit from the WA7tp. In fact, it's a wonderful combination that I've been enjoying lately myself. Comparatively, the solid state PSU sounds slightly muddy and congested. The difference is very noticeable and well worth the asking price. I will also add that the solid state PSU has a slightly greater perceived bass quantity compared to the stock tubed WA7tp (though you will notice, if you make the switch, that some of that "bass" body on the solid state PSU is actually a bit of lower-mid range bleed). A number of the early adopters (myself included), have been using the Sylvania JAN 5814A's with the TP, which increases the bass body a touch and are a bit more "forward". I find them to be a good match with the HD800. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #1,360 of 2,600
@ Dogmatrix & JoelT:  Thanks for your impressions guys. From what you're saying it is a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm still tossing between this and getting a fully balanced amp, since my DAC is balanced. Probably I'll do both, just need to decide in what order.
Cheers

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #1,362 of 2,600
Has anyone found a way to add DSD to the WA7?  I spoke to the guys at Schiit audio and they said the Loki (stand alone device) would not work since  it  didn't look like the WA7 does not have line out.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,363 of 2,600
  Has anyone found a way to add DSD to the WA7?  I spoke to the guys at Schiit audio and they said the Loki (stand alone device) would not work since  it  didn't look like the WA7 didn't have  he WA7 does not have line out.

No direct experience with Loki, but IMO there's no reason why it shouldn't work with the WA7. You'll just have to wire it a bit differently than Schiit intended and forget about the switching function - switching would be performed on the WA7.

On the left side you see the intended connection scheme with switching in Loki. That's daft if your source for both DSD and PCM is the same player - you have to switch the output device anyway.

On the right side is the scheme that should work with the WA7.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #1,364 of 2,600
I assume you are using the WA7's internal DAC? The WA7 will accept the RCA line-in from the Loki, but it won't be able to use the Loki's pass-through function with the WA7's internal DAC (due to the WA7 using the same RCA posts for both input and output, selected via the black input/output switch on the back). So would the Loki work? I believe so, but it would require you to change sound drivers in software (from the WA7 to the Loki), change the input/output switch on the WA7 from USB to RCA every time you wanted to listen to DSD. Of course, then you'd have to switch everything back if you wanted to listen to a standard PCM source! Certainly not convenient/seamless.

The owner's manual's for both describe how they are designed regarding inputs/outputs:  

http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/loki-manual.pdf

http://www.wooaudio.com/manuals/WA7_Fireflies_Owners_Manual.pdf

The easiest solution would be to get a different, standalone DAC that supports DSD (Quite a few WA7 owners seem to like the Matrix X-Sabre for example). You'll get the added benefit of improved DAC performance/sound. Honestly, the WA7's internal DAC is mediocre and a good external DAC will be a clear upgrade. My $0.02.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,365 of 2,600
  I assume you are using the WA7's internal DAC? The WA7 will accept the RCA line-in from the Loki, but it won't be able to use the Loki's pass-through function with the WA7's internal DAC (due to the WA7 using the same RCA posts for both input and output, selected via the black input/output switch on the back). So would the Loki work? I believe so, but it would require you to change sound drivers in software (from the WA7 to the Loki), change the input/output switch on the WA7 from USB to RCA every time you wanted to listen to DSD. Of course, then you'd have to switch everything back if you wanted to listen to a standard PCM source! Certainly not convenient/seamless.

The owner's manual's for both describe how they are designed regarding inputs/outputs:  

http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/loki-manual.pdf

http://www.wooaudio.com/manuals/WA7_Fireflies_Owners_Manual.pdf

The easiest solution would be to get a different, standalone DAC that supports DSD (Quite a few WA7 owners seem to like the Matrix X-Sabre for example). You'll get the added benefit of improved DAC performance/sound. Honestly, the WA7's internal DAC is mediocre and a good external DAC will be a clear upgrade. My $0.02.

The Matrix X-Sabre definitely sounds very nice with the Wa7 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back