WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Aug 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,385 of 2,600
Seems like the wa6 has the better sound. Can I purchase the vacuum power supply after I get the solid supply? Don't have the cash yet for the vacuum power supply yet

From my experience having both go for the the wa6se.  More options for you down the road rolling tubes.   Also like olegausany says above you can improve on the wa7 dac.  But you can do that with the wa7 as well.  Imho the wa6se is a pretty good step up but either unit is good stuff.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,386 of 2,600
Yeah I'm just trying to figure out if you can buy the vacuum power supply after you buy the solid state because it's four hundred dollars more. There's no indication you can cop the vacuum supply later on when you visit the site

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,387 of 2,600
Yes you can buy the tube power supply later on.  You just don't get anything back for the std. power supply, which by the way is very good.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,390 of 2,600
  I just started getting crackle noise and severe distortion 2.5 - 3hours into my listening sessions with my now 1 year old WA7 running EH tubes. The bad part is that the crackling returns even with the Sovteks so it's not the tubes in my case. Neither pair has any oxidation or other physical issue that i can detect.The issues seems temperature related - simply put if i let it cool off it works just fine, when it gets warm again it starts to make my music sound crackly. At first it's just noticable in teh bass freq's and then quickly distorts all of the music.
I am in touch with Mike at Woo and I'll let you guys know what i find out.

A few side notes:
  • The WA7 PSU is always used with a UPS system - never straight out the wall. This my MO for all electronics.I have tried different outlets and UPSs but the problem persists.
  • I use a regular Monoprice cable with ferite bead and gold ends. Please no comments about super-duper USB cables vs mono-price. Cable is fine. The unit would give me issue consistently hot or cold with a bad cable.
  • normally i give the amp a few minutes to warm up - i turn it on then unbox my 'phone and select my music on my PC before i play anything.
  • I have never run the unit more than 10 hours under load - i once left it on for about 9 hours, but Mike assures me he run's these units much harder than that at shows.
  • Tried switching sources - no bueno.

I've forward your concerns to Jack for his opinion before asking you to send the unit to us for inspection.  

I leave my personal WA7 ON or playing music all day.  At shows, systems are ON all day, sometimes over night to keep the tubes warmed.  At Capital Audio Fest, Dan (MrSpeakers) left his WA7d + WA7tp system powered ON all three days of the show (day & night).  We don't recommend to do that because it does shortens the life of the tubes, but you can if you choose.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,391 of 2,600
Yeah I'm just trying to figure out if you can buy the vacuum power supply after you buy the solid state because it's four hundred dollars more. There's no indication you can cop the vacuum supply later on when you visit the site

We recommend to purchase the combo together to save money.  Buying the WA7tp at a later date will cost $649.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,392 of 2,600
But it is better to use external Dac instead of built in one with WA7

I've compared the WA7's internal DAC to others costing between $1k - $2K, you get more bang for the buck going with EH 6C45 upgrade tubes and WA7tp (with stock tubes).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back