WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Jun 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,337 of 2,600
I find it really hard to relate to hearing the LCD-2 as being bright. I would actually describe the current fazor model as being slightly dark. And yes, my experience is running them through the WA7, both with the stock PSU and the tube PSU. I would note that I find the internal DAC to be a bit edgy, not extreme, but it's certainly not the smoothest. This may be contributing to this perception. All this said, I think the key is to identify what sound signature you're ultimately after, and then move in that direction. There's no definitive right or wrong per say, just preferences. Thankfully the WA7 pairs pretty well with quite a few headphones, so it's not like you're locked in to working with only a specific "flavor" of transducer per say.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,339 of 2,600
Just joined the club :)

Bought a WA7 w/ a pair of extra EH 6C45Pi tubes today, paired with HE560 and RS1i, the sound is amazing, especially with the HE560. The synergy, the details , the sound stage and the bass, or man especially the bass are all improved from my current setup. Really happy with this amp. It's my first tube amp, I think I finally found the amp I've been looking for.

Haven't tried the built-in DAC yet, but I'm pretty happy with my HP-A4 as DAC before, I'm still very happy with it now when hooked up with the WA7.

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,340 of 2,600
  Just joined the club :)

Bought a WA7 w/ a pair of extra EH 6C45Pi tubes today, paired with HE560 and RS1i, the sound is amazing, especially with the HE560. The synergy, the details , the sound stage and the bass, or man especially the bass are all improved from my current setup. Really happy with this amp. It's my first tube amp, I think I finally found the amp I've been looking for.

Haven't tried the built-in DAC yet, but I'm pretty happy with my HP-A4 as DAC before, I'm still very happy with it now when hooked up with the WA7.

Congratulations!  We would love to see some pics.  :)

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #1,341 of 2,600
Congrats @fengwei007

For a 1-box solution with small footprint, hard to beat the WA7.
Most users agree that the built-in DAC could be better, but you can always use the RCA inputs to bypass the DAC.

I'm waiting for my Oppo HA-1 to arrive and will A-B it with the WA-7 and will most probably keep only 1 amp

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,342 of 2,600

Congratulations!  We would love to see some pics.  :)

Thanks. Will try to take some photos over the weekend during day time. The light condition isn't ideal when I'm back home from work. 

Congrats @fengwei007

For a 1-box solution with small footprint, hard to beat the WA7.
Most users agree that the built-in DAC could be better, but you can always use the RCA inputs to bypass the DAC.

I'm waiting for my Oppo HA-1 to arrive and will A-B it with the WA-7 and will most probably keep only 1 amp

Thanks. I know it's a 1-box solution, but I've got quite some DSD files which I've been listening to for a while, that's why I still keep the HP-A4 as a DAC (and it's a pretty good one). Might get a better one later on, but for now I'm very happy :) 

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,343 of 2,600
As promised, here are two quick photos I took just now:

The WA7 amp drives these two headphones beautifully, They are great to look at too.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,344 of 2,600
I've been listening to the WA7 (EH tubes) + HD800 for a few months now.  It's been a great experience but I was thinking of buying a new DAC as I want even more detail retrieval.  I'm not even sure if that's possible but budget would be ~$500-$900.  I haven't seen too many comparisons on the new PSU so I may upgrade to that if it's a better option.

Edit - I read the X-Sabre pairs well with the HD800s, though X-Sabre + WA7 is a different matter.

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #1,345 of 2,600
  As promised, here are two quick photos I took just now:

The WA7 amp drives these two headphones beautifully, They are great to look at too.

Beautiful pics!  Thank you for sharing.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,346 of 2,600
  I've been listening to the WA7 (EH tubes) + HD800 for a few months now.  It's been a great experience but I was thinking of buying a new DAC as I want even more detail retrieval.  I'm not even sure if that's possible but budget would be ~$500-$900.  I haven't seen too many comparisons on the new PSU so I may upgrade to that if it's a better option.

Edit - I read the X-Sabre pairs well with the HD800s, though X-Sabre + WA7 is a different matter.

Bang for your buck dictates the WA7tp upgrade first before the DAC... just saying.  You might however be better off just selling your WA7 and getting the new WA7d already paired to the tp since the optical input will most likely also give you the detail boost you are looking for, the pair will come properly matched, and ofcourse you get the much more open sound of the tp.

I see you have a very early WA7 with the wider beveled glass top and flat finish as well as lower base height.  It will definitely not match side by side with the latest generation WA7tp.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,347 of 2,600

I added the x-sabre to the wa7 and it is pretty amazing actually.  

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,348 of 2,600
Of course X-Sabre, which I still have for sale by the way, is really great, neutral, musical and very analog sounding Dac. The only cheaper Dac which is close to it i heard and owned at the same time so was able to compare is Arcam IrDac

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,350 of 2,600
Hey Guys, Looking for your impressions on using the AKG K812 with the WA7... Looking for that perfect flagship phone for my fireflies that caters to my large-soundstage and slightly treble-favoring preferences. Current phones are the K701s and I love the combo, but I know I can do better. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back