WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 16, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,921 of 2,600
Before posting I had put some 3M 5100S between Mac Mini and WA7. And it helped quite a bit. After posting I decided to try moving the WA7 further away. I raised it up about a foot and off to the side a foot. (Before it was about 6 inches in front of Mac Mini)

Wow, what a difference I am hearing since moving it. It is gorgeous. There is a cellphone near by. The Mac Mini is running in wifi mode because I access it via VNC. Could that be the issue?

Current headphones are either HD650 or ZMF's Blackwoods, have another pair of T1's on the way.

Thanks,
Mark

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,922 of 2,600
I don't believe wifi would cause the noise your getting my wa7 is only about 3 feet from my router, bad usb cables can & do cause issues.. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #1,923 of 2,600
  I don't believe wifi would cause the noise your getting my wa7 is only about 3 feet from my router, bad usb cables can & do cause issues.. 

noise issues from bad usb cables won't be resolved by moving the location of the amplifier though. you will always have issues, mostly dropping out signals.

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,924 of 2,600
I just noticed you don't have to have the WA7 turned on to use it in D/A only mode. It is suggested to have the unit on in that mode? Or is it sufficient enough to have to USB power the DAC, (which is happening since the unit is off but it still works)? 

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,925 of 2,600
  I just noticed you don't have to have the WA7 turned on to use it in D/A only mode. It is suggested to have the unit on in that mode? Or is it sufficient enough to have to USB power the DAC, (which is happening since the unit is off but it still works)? 

DAC is always USB powered, so no point in turning the unit on in D/A-only mode.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,926 of 2,600
confused_face_2.gif
  Not sure what to think on this one. I guess it sounds just great where it is now. Pretty puzzling though.

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,927 of 2,600
hello mjock3 do you still have your noise issues intermittently ?

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,928 of 2,600
No not at all. And the bite that was so annoying is long gone. The 3M helped, but moving it seems to have eliminated the issues. USB cable is WyWires Silver and has never given me any issues in the past.

Mark

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,929 of 2,600

Just curious groovyd how's you're project going ?

first printing ended up .1mm too small.  didn't realize that tolerances on 3d printers are pretty bad.  will try again slightly larger sometime this week.  is my boss' printer and i have been in cuba for the past couple weeks.  finally back and will give it another shot.  would love to perhaps organize a group purchase of a precisely machined aluminum or stainless set of rings from some machine shop if the 3d printing route doesn't turn out.  machining one off is too costly but if we got a bunch of orders together i bet it wouldn't cost so much.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,930 of 2,600
Hi,

I'm still looking for an upgrade headphone for my wa7+wa7tp. As I posted before, my headphones are K701 and HD600, and I like K701 much more than HD600 pair with wa7. I like little warmer sound and large sound-stage, which means I don't like the vocal is too close to my ear. I listen vocal and light music much more than classic.

Now I'm considering different 2 PRICE level headphones upgrade.
Level 1: LCD-3/LCD-X, akg k812 
Level 2: LCD-2, Beyerdynamic T1, OPPO pm-2

So I like to inquiry LCD-3 and LCD-X which one will be driven better with wa7? The LCD-X is a low impedance headphones but it requires for larger current, and I know tube amplifiers will drive high impedance headphones better for these high output impedance. But I found a deal with LCD-X with 1,299 USD which is much cheaper than LCD-3...

For level 2, the pm-2 is a degraded pm-1 but only materials changed. Tyll reviewed both headphones and pointed out almost no change in sound if swap pm-2's earcup with pm-1's. And in his "Wall of Fame" pm-1 replaced LCD-2. However, I know LCD-2 is a good pair with wa7 but I can't find any information about PM-1/2 pair with wa7.

I think I will not upgrade my headphone amplifier again, so I hope this upgraded headphones wa7 will not only driven "fine", but also "great". So that's why I'm considering these 2 price levels headphones.

Please give me some suggestions or recommendations. Thank you.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,931 of 2,600
  I'm still looking for an upgrade headphone for my wa7+wa7tp. As I posted before, my headphones are K701 and HD600, and I like K701 much more than HD600 pair with wa7. I like little warmer sound and large sound-stage, which means I don't like the vocal is too close to my ear. I listen vocal and light music much more than classic.

Now I'm considering different 2 PRICE level headphones upgrade.
Level 1: LCD-3/LCD-X, akg k812 
Level 2: LCD-2, Beyerdynamic T1, OPPO pm-2

So I like to inquiry LCD-3 and LCD-X which one will be driven better with wa7? The LCD-X is a low impedance headphones but it requires for larger current, and I know tube amplifiers will drive high impedance headphones better for these high output impedance. But I found a deal with LCD-X with 1,299 USD which is much cheaper than LCD-3...

For level 2, the pm-2 is a degraded pm-1 but only materials changed. Tyll reviewed both headphones and pointed out almost no change in sound if swap pm-2's earcup with pm-1's. And in his "Wall of Fame" pm-1 replaced LCD-2. However, I know LCD-2 is a good pair with wa7 but I can't find any information about PM-1/2 pair with wa7.

I think I will not upgrade my headphone amplifier again, so I hope this upgraded headphones wa7 will not only driven "fine", but also "great". So that's why I'm considering these 2 price levels headphones.

Please give me some suggestions or recommendations. Thank you.

I have the LCD-X, works fine w/ the wa7. the LCD-X is easier to drive with a lower impedance and higher sensitivity than the LCD-3, so it should be "driven better" by the wa7, which has a kinda low power output compared to some other options out there. however, there are many people who use the lcd-3 w/ the wa7 and it really should work fine as well. don't think you really need to worry about the power requirements for those two headphones. something like the HE-6 might be a different story though.

if you are interested in audeze, that deal you found from buysonic comes around every once in a while, so no need to rush. they also offer the lcd-3 at $1.6ish or maybe even less (don't remember exactly) ever once in a while as well.

the akg k812 is super easy to drive, you can play it out of a smartphone. has a pretty neutral-oriented sound signature that I think a touch of warmness would sound quite nice with.

really all those headphones you listed should 'work' with the wa7. the differences between which headphone choice is best for you will most likely depend on what sound signature you prefer and it is difficult for someone else to say which one is best for you if you can't demo them yourself as we all have different preferences. how well those headphones 'pair' with the wa7 also depends on your sonic preferences. the wa7 is a warm-sounding amplifier, so will make those headphones sound relatively warmer. do note that the audeze house signature is already a subtle bit darker than neutral and the oppo sound signature is a bit warmer than neutral (imo).

Out of your choices, my personal favorites would be the LCD-X followed by the AKG K812. Have extensively demoed the Audeze headphones and had the PM-1s during their tour. Haven't really spend a lot of time with the T1 though. They are all great options honestly, but really depends what you are looking for specifically in terms of sound sig and sound quality strengths. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,932 of 2,600
@money4me247 sorry if you've been asked this before or have already posted impressions but how do you feel your Bifrost / Lyr set up compares to the WA7 and TP ? If you posted elsewhere can you let me know where!

Jeb

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,933 of 2,600
@money4me247 sorry if you've been asked this before or have already posted impressions but how do you feel your Bifrost / Lyr set up compares to the WA7 and TP ? If you posted elsewhere can you let me know where!

Jeb

hey jeb, naw I haven't formally posted anything in-depth comparing the two. i sent you a quick PM. hit me up if you have any further questions.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #1,934 of 2,600

first printing ended up .1mm too small.  didn't realize that tolerances on 3d printers are pretty bad.  will try again slightly larger sometime this week.  is my boss' printer and i have been in cuba for the past couple weeks.  finally back and will give it another shot.  would love to perhaps organize a group purchase of a precisely machined aluminum or stainless set of rings from some machine shop if the 3d printing route doesn't turn out.  machining one off is too costly but if we got a bunch of orders together i bet it wouldn't cost so much.

cool am certainly interested in seeing your finished piece..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back