WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 6, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,910 of 2,600
  i am working on a 3d printed shim at the moment to fill the gap between the tube collar and glass bore.  stay tuned.

Just curious groovyd how's you're project going ?

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,911 of 2,600
Hi,

I'm looking for an upgrade for my current headphones. My cans are K701 and HD600, my amp is wa7 with upgrade tubes + wa7tp with Mullard M8136. I prefer K701 more than HD600 with wa7.

My interesting list are LCD-X, LCD3 and th900. I like to inquiry which one would be pair with wa7 best.

Thank you!

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,912 of 2,600
  Hi,

I'm looking for an upgrade for my current headphones. My cans are K701 and HD600, my amp is wa7 with upgrade tubes + wa7tp with Mullard M8136. I prefer K701 more than HD600 with wa7.

My interesting list are LCD-X, LCD3 and th900. I like to inquiry which one would be pair with wa7 best.

Thank you!

I have the LCD3 and TH900, both sound spectacular with the WA7+WA7tp. I'd go with the one that matches up with how you'll be using the headphones and any sound preferences.  The WA7+WA7tp works well with everything I've thrown at it. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,913 of 2,600
  I have the LCD3 and TH900, both sound spectacular with the WA7+WA7tp. I'd go with the one that matches up with how you'll be using the headphones and any sound preferences.  The WA7+WA7tp works well with everything I've thrown at it. 

Would you please compare the sound stage and sound signature between TH900 and LCD3? I like the wide sound, a little warm but not too much bass. Like K701 compare to HD600.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,914 of 2,600
  Would you please compare the sound stage and sound signature between TH900 and LCD3? I like the wide sound, a little warm but not too much bass. Like K701 compare to HD600.

they all pretty easy enough to drive and work fine with the WA7. The LCD-3 would be the hardest to drive out of that line-up, but I've heard of people using it with the WA7 no problem.

In terms of sound sig, TH-900 would be the most v-shaped version of neutral out of all of them. lcd-3 is mid-centric dark version of neutral. lcd-x is the most neutral (according to my personal tastes), but still subtly slightly darker (compared to the HD800). I think they all have more bass than the other flagships, would be more along the lines of a HD650 or HE-400 if trying to do a mid-fi sound sig comparison (imo). This is driven out of transparent solid-state amplifiers with minimal additional coloring added.

My neutral would be defined as the K712 65th annies (so imagine the K701 with ~3db bass boost - may be similar to your k701+warm tube amp, i've never tried that specific combo). The K701 would be considered bright in my mind. The K701 and HD600, those I feel are more similar than different among the mid-fis. Similar flat analytical type tuning compared to some of the other options. Not warm at all IMO and a bit lacking in bass for my tastes. If pairing a 'bright' or 'neutral' pair of headphones like the k701/hd600 with the warm tube amp like the wa7, you can get a sense of warmth with your sound signature though, but that's primarily from the amplifier. The k701/hd600 would scale up into something like the K812 or HD800 respectively.

Widest sound stage out of all flagships would be the HD800, but they lean towards the brighter side of neutral. The TH900 has a wide sound stage for a closed headphone (so many people comment positively on that aspect), but recessed mid-range compared to other options. Warmest sound from my experience would be the Oppo PM-1s, but they have a average sound stage for a flagship.

Honestly, I think the best TOTL for you would be the AKG K812 pro as they share a similar house sound to the K701 which are your preferred, have a very wide sound stage, and are extremely easy to drive so the kinda low power output of the WA7 will not be a problem. Can see the AKG K812 pairing very well with a warm amplifier. The options you have listed might get too warm, I personally would just go solid state with them.

For the options you have listed, if I were to apply a mid-fi sound signature that's closest to them, I would estimate something like TH900>Ultrasone Pro 900, LCD-3>Sony MDR-1A, LCD-X>HE-400. The hi-fi options have more refined overall sound signatures and better resolving capabilities, but just a parallel sense of their sound imo.

I would recommend demoing some TOTL to get a sense of your preferences exactly, and I might be able to offer better advice.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,915 of 2,600

TH900 is far from warm.  Go with LCD3.   WA7+WA7tp can drive LCD3 effortlessly.  We use this combo at trade shows.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #1,916 of 2,600
  they all pretty easy enough to drive and work fine with the WA7. The LCD-3 would be the hardest to drive out of that line-up, but I've heard of people using it with the WA7 no problem.

In terms of sound sig, TH-900 would be the most v-shaped version of neutral out of all of them. lcd-3 is mid-centric dark version of neutral. lcd-x is the most neutral (according to my personal tastes), but still subtly slightly darker (compared to the HD800). I think they all have more bass than the other flagships, would be more along the lines of a HD650 or HE-400 if trying to do a mid-fi sound sig comparison (imo). This is driven out of transparent solid-state amplifiers with minimal additional coloring added.

My neutral would be defined as the K712 65th annies (so imagine the K701 with ~3db bass boost - may be similar to your k701+warm tube amp, i've never tried that specific combo). The K701 would be considered bright in my mind. The K701 and HD600, those I feel are more similar than different among the mid-fis. Similar flat analytical type tuning compared to some of the other options. Not warm at all IMO and a bit lacking in bass for my tastes. If pairing a 'bright' or 'neutral' pair of headphones like the k701/hd600 with the warm tube amp like the wa7, you can get a sense of warmth with your sound signature though, but that's primarily from the amplifier. The k701/hd800 would scale up into something like the K812 or HD800 respectively.

Widest sound stage out of all flagships would be the HD800, but they lean towards the brighter side of neutral. The TH900 has a wide sound stage for a closed headphone (so many people comment positively on that aspect), but recessed mid-range compared to other options. Warmest sound from my experience would be the Oppo PM-1s, but they have a average sound stage for a flagship.

Honestly, I think the best TOTL for you would be the AKG K812 pro as they share a similar house sound to the K701 which are your preferred, have a very wide sound stage, and are extremely easy to drive so the kinda low power output of the WA7 will not be a problem. Can see the AKG K812 pairing very well with a warm amplifier. The options you have listed might get too warm, I personally would just solid state with them.

For the options you have listed, if I were to apply a mid-fi sound signature that's closest to them, I would estimate something like TH900>Ultrasone Pro 900, LCD-3>Sony MDR-1A, LCD-X>HE-400. The hi-fi options have more refined overall sound signatures and better resolving capabilities, but just a parallel sense of their sound imo.

I would recommend demoing some TOTL to get a sense of your preferences exactly, and I might be able to offer better advice.

Well said. I haven't heard the K812 so I can't comment on that particular headphone.  But my preference is definitely towards a warmer/darker tone.

Honestly, when you start talking about TOTL headphones, most of it comes down to preference.  I use my TH900 and LCD-2.1 the most, with the HD700 slightly behind them.  The HD800, TH900, LCD-3, LCD-X, HE-560, etc, are all different flavors who excel at different things but all sound excellent.  If you can try out different headphones, I would give that a shot.  If not and you have the disposable income, you can usually pick up a pair used and turn it around if it doesn't work out.  As far as any of the options you're looking at, the WA7 will be able to drive them just fine.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,917 of 2,600

My neutral would be defined as the K712 65th annies (so imagine the K701 with ~3db bass boost - may be similar to your k701+warm tube amp, i've never tried that specific combo). The K701 would be considered bright in my mind. The K701 and HD600, those I feel are more similar than different among the mid-fis. Similar flat analytical type tuning compared to some of the other options. Not warm at all IMO and a bit lacking in bass for my tastes. If pairing a 'bright' or 'neutral' pair of headphones like the k701/hd600 with the warm tube amp like the wa7, you can get a sense of warmth with your sound signature though, but that's primarily from the amplifier. The k701/hd600 would scale up into something like the K812 or HD800 respectively.

Honestly, I think the best TOTL for you would be the AKG K812 pro as they share a similar house sound to the K701 which are your preferred, have a very wide sound stage, and are extremely easy to drive so the kinda low power output of the WA7 will not be a problem. Can see the AKG K812 pairing very well with a warm amplifier. The options you have listed might get too warm, I personally would just go solid state with them.

Thank you so much! That's really helpful. I think I need find a place to try K812. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #1,918 of 2,600
I also have the TH900 which is indeed spectacular with WA7/WA7tp. The other flagship I would recommend you try is the T1 - has amazing soundstage, accurate bass, gorgeous mids etc. And the WA7 drives them with ease.

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,919 of 2,600
Not sure if I should start a new thread or not. Let me know if I should.

I recently picked up on a WA7 and I do like it quite a bit. However I have experienced an issue. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I have it sitting in front of a Mac Mini and I get some interference I am assuming from the Mac. Perhaps RFI or EMI. I pick up noise as well as some harshness in the upper mids.

I just wanted to see what others have found in regard to how close they have the WA7 to a computer.

Thanks

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,920 of 2,600
  Not sure if I should start a new thread or not. Let me know if I should.

I recently picked up on a WA7 and I do like it quite a bit. However I have experienced an issue. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I have it sitting in front of a Mac Mini and I get some interference I am assuming from the Mac. Perhaps RFI or EMI. I pick up noise as well as some harshness in the upper mids.

I just wanted to see what others have found in regard to how close they have the WA7 to a computer.

Thanks

Hi, 

Does the interference persists if you move the Mac Mini or WA7 further apart?  Is there a cellphone, MicroCell 3G tower, or WiFi router near the system?  Can you send us a picture of your system and what headphones you are using?

Mike
email:  Mike@wooaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back