Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #661 of 1,117
  Massive difference from the original power supply?

I had asked the same question here last month. The answer from owner is; tp make an improvement in every area.

I then asked my dealer, I got the same answer

I know It is quite difficult to believe that changing power supply can make a big difference but yes, massive improve
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #662 of 1,117
Well I've decided to do my first impressions of the vintage 5814A Sylvania's. And I think it's a very good sounding tube, great clarity with good balance, very nice mids & the bass extension is to my liking real good, plus nice & punchy but not as good as the wonderful sounding mullards.

I also noticed that they needed a little more volume then other tubes, and sound a little rolled off the top. Most of the time I give my amp a sufficient warm up time maybe 45 mins. or so I know that's not necessary but to my ears the amp sounds better the warmer it gets.

The reason I mention this is because these tubes didn't sound there best until about 2 hours of use, unlike all other tubes I own that seem to require less warm up time to reach their best, maybe it's just the pair I got or the fact that I've only spent a few hours with them.

So given the fact that these are half the cost of my favorites the mullards CV4003's they are a very good sounding tube, All in All they are worth a try i'm very pleased so far, I listen to mostly jazz, rock, and classical not sure that matters but some may wonder. I do like to give my new tubes about two weeks of use before I can really tell so I will add more later..

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #663 of 1,117
Do you see a bigger sound signature different rolling the PSU tubes or the amp tubes? Any suggestions for a good tube pairing for the PS1K?

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #664 of 1,117
i saw no sound signature difference rolling the amp tubes.  also got directly in touch with the maker of the tubes in russia who told me the gold pin vs non gold pin versions were identical tubes off the same line and within the same tolerances other then plating the pins. changing tubes on the psu had a significant impact. the mullards were the best for me but the jans are great for bass and the cleartops for highs.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #665 of 1,117
i saw no sound signature difference rolling the amp tubes.  also got directly in touch with the maker of the tubes in russia who told me the gold pin vs non gold pin versions were identical tubes off the same line and within the same tolerances other then plating the pins. changing tubes on the psu had a significant impact. the mullards were the best for me but the jans are great for bass and the cleartops for highs.

+1
Agree completely.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #666 of 1,117
[/quote

Totally agree with you as to the Mullards and cleartops. As for the amp tubes, I do get a slightly smoother sound with nos Reflektor tubes (not Sovtek). The ones I use are cryo-treated. To my ears the EH gold pins are a bit more detailed and the Reflektors more "tubey". The sound difference with these is not as big a deal as the 12au7's in the psu by any means!

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #667 of 1,117
Incredible. So much hype about rolling the amp tubes when the real difference maker is rolling the psu tubes. Very cool and I am glad I asked this question

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #668 of 1,117
Quick question, I just got my WA7tp.  Is the power button supposed to spin like a knob for no apparent reason?  The power button also seems a bit wobblier than I expected, unless you push right in the center.  Like it has a bit of give to it from side to side.  Is this normal?

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #669 of 1,117
  Quick question, I just got my WA7tp.  Is the power button supposed to spin like a knob for no apparent reason?  The power button also seems a bit wobblier than I expected, unless you push right in the center.  Like it has a bit of give to it from side to side.  Is this normal?

Congrats on your new purchase! Yes it's normal to spin like a knob and it's also normal that it is a bit wobbly. This has been the only disappointing part about the WA7 & WA7TP, but I guess they cut a few corners so they can avoid building more custom parts just for the power button, or else they might charge us even more.

dL

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #671 of 1,117
  Thanks for the quick reply!  Good to know that's normal at least.  Super happy with it so far.

Awesome to hear. We look forward to hearing your listening impression after burning in. 
L3000.gif

dL

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #672 of 1,117

Glad you mentioned this groovyd  I suspected as much that really sucks for those of us who spent lots more money on the gold plated 6C45 from Woo. It also explains why I was never able to find these tubes anywhere else but from Woo Audio.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #675 of 1,117

Are you talking about there being a non-gold version of the "Electro Harmonix 6C45 Gold Plated Pins matched pair" and it seems to be the same as the gold-pin version?  If so, where can you buy them?

I take it they are still an upgrade from the "Sovtek 6C45 matched pair" tubes?

Apologies if I'm confused 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back