Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #631 of 1,117
I am really enjoying the GE 6680 tubes , detail and tonal accuracy  is better than anything I have tried
Only down side is they could be a little bright with some headphones

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #633 of 1,117
Does Cryo make a difference?

Jim

I've read a lot on cryo treated tubes some people seem not to like it much, I was never willing to spend the extra 8-15 per tube to find out.
Take a look at this thread --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/276581/cryo-treated-tubes

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #634 of 1,117
  I've read a lot on cryo treated tubes some people seem not to like it much, I was never willing to spend the extra 8-15 per tube to find out.
Take a look at this thread --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/276581/cryo-treated-tubes

Good read, thanks. I think it depend on individual preference. I will not spend the extra too.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #636 of 1,117
Just received my WA7d and Wa7tp yesterday...  was sooo excited as this is my first high end audio purchase....   

Completely skipped the stock tubes on the tp, and went straight to the mullard Cyro'd CV4003 (I think that's the model #) Also purchased the upgraded tubes for the WA7d.. <grin>

So far, I cannot really compare it to anything, but can say, with the Woo sold upgraded WA7d tubes, I absolutely love the sound so far...  And, I haven't even had a chance to listen to much high bitrate stuff, just a few 320kps songs I have in iTunes...  

I do have one question, as this is my first "real" purchase, and first tube amp...  IS it safe to leave it powered on for an extended time??? I remember reading folks saying they let the tubes burn in for 24hours or so....  I wanted to know if it's safe to do so, just leave it on, or do I need to play something through the amp, not just leaving it "on"

Thanks,
Joe_Breezyjr

PS.  now just need to pick up a pair of HD800s, at least something better than the AKG 712 pros...  Then, of course, my SECOND high end purchase....  hehe

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #637 of 1,117
According to Woo's literature you should not run it for more then 8 hours at a time.  Not entirely sure the reasoning but whenever I notice I left mine on overnight by accident I always kick myself and wonder what great harm I just did.  I bought a ton of extra tubes because I know I am reckless.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #638 of 1,117
I believe Mike @HiFiGuy528 stated before that vendors and others leave them on all night while at trade shows without any ill effects.  It's probably one of those things that you probably don't want to leave it on all the time, as it may reduce the tubes lifespan but it shouldn't affect it on the unit itself.  Hopefully Mike can chime in.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #639 of 1,117
@groovyd 

It's OK to run a few hours beyond 8 hrs.  We noted that in the manual because we don't want people to leave the amp ON all day and night and unattended.  8-10 hours is not an issue. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #641 of 1,117
Thanks for the quick responses....  

I am soooooo excited...  Heck.. I should go listen to it now!  I have some free time....   I think I'll check out some HD tracks, from that site... and make myself all giddy like a school girl... LOL <grin> 

Now... what. to. get. next.  Hmmm... WA6se? with the Oppo HA-1??   But, I'm getting ahead of myself... lol

Thanks again for the quick replies....

Joe_Breezyjr

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #642 of 1,117

I am soooooo excited...  Heck.. I should go listen to it now!  I have some free time....   I think I'll check out some HD tracks, from that site... and make myself all giddy like a school girl... LOL <grin> 

Now... what. to. get. next.  Hmmm... WA6se? with the Oppo HA-1??   But, I'm getting ahead of myself... lol

Joe_Breezyjr

If you have WA7tp (tube power supply), it's best to use the ON/OFF push button on the front and leave the main power switch in the ON position. 

Quote:

Joe_Breezyjr

How about WA22 + WDS-1?  
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #643 of 1,117
  Just received my WA7d and Wa7tp yesterday...  was sooo excited as this is my first high end audio purchase....   

Completely skipped the stock tubes on the tp, and went straight to the mullard Cyro'd CV4003 (I think that's the model #) Also purchased the upgraded tubes for the WA7d.. <grin>

So far, I cannot really compare it to anything, but can say, with the Woo sold upgraded WA7d tubes, I absolutely love the sound so far...  And, I haven't even had a chance to listen to much high bitrate stuff, just a few 320kps songs I have in iTunes...  

I do have one question, as this is my first "real" purchase, and first tube amp...  IS it safe to leave it powered on for an extended time??? I remember reading folks saying they let the tubes burn in for 24hours or so....  I wanted to know if it's safe to do so, just leave it on, or do I need to play something through the amp, not just leaving it "on"

Thanks,
Joe_Breezyjr

PS.  now just need to pick up a pair of HD800s, at least something better than the AKG 712 pros...  Then, of course, my SECOND high end purchase....  hehe

Congrats & enjoy your new amp..

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #644 of 1,117
I work at home, and listen to music while working. At night, when my wife watch tv, I still listen to music. So, I turn on WA7 from around 09.00 to 01.00 every day

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #645 of 1,117
  I work at home, and listen to music while working. At night, when my wife watch tv, I still listen to music. So, I turn on WA7 from around 09.00 to 01.00 every day

Same with me mikroski I listen on average 4-6 hours a day everyday..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back