Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
May 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #211 of 1,117
Possible when you talk about Rotel and the like but when i spent 2 weeks trying 3 different EQs and D7000 didn't sound the way i wanted while HD650 sounded great after 30 seconds of EQ adjustment plus the best i heard with my setup and my music you might understand me

May 20, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #212 of 1,117
  An Early WA7tp Mini Review

When I initially read about the WA7tp, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. An upgraded tube power supply that commands a significant chunk of the original asking price of the WA7? Seriously? Wasn’t the stock, solid state supply already designed specifically with the WA7 in mind? Despite my misgivings, the possibilities intrigued me. Why would Woo offer a new PSU if the difference in sound quality was marginal? After all, tube psu’s are common with their other models. To further fan the flames, early meet impressions proved very positive. So, like many here, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase an early production unit when Woo posted their early bird offer.

Finish/Aesthetics:

I ordered a black unit to match my WA7, and I have no complaints about the aesthetics. Placed directly alongside my WA7, the unit’s visually match in finish and height. Unfortunately, the “push” power-button feels quite loose compared to the tight and beautifully dampened volume knob on the WA7. While I understand the desire to visually match the two units, I would have personally preferred a different style of power switch, even at the expense of visual appeal. I suspect Woo was in a difficult position here, with no perfect answer. You can’t please everyone, as the cliche goes. Gripes aside, the bottom line is that the power-button works just fine in practice. It’s far from deal-breaker, but those who anticipate the same sensation of quality found in interacting with the WA7 will be disappointed. Also, if you’ve been following this thread, some users have experienced quality control issues with their units. Hopefully Woo gets this addressed. I suspect we’ll get a better sense of where the chips fall as more folks receive their WA7tp’s.

Sound:

All impressions made with: WA7 w/ EH Gold Tubes, WA7 internal DAC, Audeze LCD-2 (current rev. with fazor & M.A. Silver Dragon cable), Sennheiser HD-600, Stock Electro Harmonix Tubes & Sylvania JAN 5814A Tubes with the WA7tp (20+ hrs of burn time on each).

So the real question: What does the WA7/WAtp sound like? I think the short answer is, “Like a higher class amp”. This is not to say that it no longer sounds like the WA7 (the WA7’s smooth charm is left intact, if that happens to be a concern), but rather that it is now significantly improved, especially in regards to technicalities. How, you may ask, do you improve on the WA7? The WA7tp’s answer is to expand the soundstage in width and depth, add a sense of layering and holographic imaging that wasn’t originally present, throw in a liberal dose of “air”, clarify the upper mid range, significantly tighten and texture the bass, increase overall transparency, kick up dynamics and open up the possibility of further enhancing the sound presentation with tube rolling. Whew. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah. It sounds amazing.

Let me frame it from another angle. The stock PSU sounds smaller, comparatively congested and a bit woolly in both the bass and the upper mids. There is also a very noticeable difference in transparency - leaving one with the impression that the stock psu sounds slightly veiled. With the stock tubes, I found the WA7tp’s bass to have a touch less punch and body than with the solid state psu. Regardless, I still preferred the presentation as it felt more natural, textured and controlled. In complex passages, the amp is now able to maintain a far better “grip” on the sound.

All this said, if you have concerns about bass body, extension and impact, throw them out the window. Tube rolling the WA7tp will address this concern. While I greatly prefer the stock tube WA7tp to the solid state psu, I’ve found that I prefer the Sylvania JAN 5814A’s over the stock tubes (thanks to Maxx134 for the recommendation), as they are a bit more “forward” sounding, more dynamic, and the bass is absolutely delicious. Think controlled, textured, extended and punching like a heavy weight. I look forward to hearing other user’s impressions of the various tubes in the coming days. In terms of tubes, given the almost overwhelming options available, I suspect there are even greener pastures to be found.

Conclusion:

In short, the WA7tp is a great product - sonically far better than I anticipated. It effectively converts the WA7 in to an upgradable system that is both aesthetically appealing and most importantly, provides a tremendous listening experience. If you own a WA7, purchasing the “TP” is a no-brainer. If you want to extend the sound quality if your current setup, especially if the WA7 is your primary amplifier, I would recommend making the switch. Thanks to Woo Audio for further extending the value of the WA7.

Pros:
- Sound quality is a significant step up in virtually all regards
- While certainly not free, the price feels more than justified for the difference in sound quality
- Looks good placed next to the WA7
- Enables more tube rolling options and further customization

Cons:
- Some early build quality issues being reported
- Power push-button isn’t on par with the volume knob on the WA7
- Stock tubes do not reveal the full potential of the WA7tp (expect to roll tubes)​

Great review! WA7tp looks so beautiful next to the amp. Wish the power symbol was on the power switch. Small aesthetic displeasure.

For anyone interested
http://www.head-fi.org/t/719132/fs-eh-gold-pin-6c45-tubes-for-wooaudio-wa7

May 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #213 of 1,117
i noticed minor burn in changes personally with the WA7.  If it is a 5 now it might get to 7 but not 10.  I think it might be somehow out of spec.  Not sure what the tolerances Woo uses on their electrical performance but if the build tolerances are any indication I would say there is a chance you got a bad unit.  Not faulting Woo here but the matching between my units was nothing like a match pairing and according to Jack they were 'still in spec.' for what it is worth... I think the WA7 may have hit a much larger audience then previous Woo products and it could be that they are falling behind in quality control trying to keep up 
frown.gif

May 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #215 of 1,117
A short 1ft. DC cord is now available.  

A fresh batch of tubes just received our stamp of approval.  Time to send them off to patiently waiting music lovers. :)

That would be me patiently waiting :). If I order the 1 foot cord now can it all be included in the same shipment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

May 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #216 of 1,117
May 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #219 of 1,117
That would be me patiently waiting
smily_headphones1.gif
. If I order the 1 foot cord now can it all be included in the same shipment?

No additional shipping cost if your has not shipped.  We will place the 1ft. cord in the box along with your WA7tp order.  Please make a note in the "message to seller" section within Pay Pal when ordering the 1ft. cord so our fulfillment personnel knows.

~ Mike Liang

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Instagram

Share with us your #WooAudioStories

May 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #220 of 1,117
How do I order? Don't see it on the Woo site.

May 21, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #221 of 1,117
That would be me patiently waiting
smily_headphones1.gif
. If I order the 1 foot cord now can it all be included in the same shipment?

No additional shipping cost if your has not shipped.  We will place the 1ft. cord in the box along with your WA7tp order.  Please make a note in the "message to seller" section within Pay Pal when ordering the 1ft. cord so our fulfillment personnel knows.

~ Mike Liang

Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter
Join us on Instagram

Share with us your #WooAudioStories

Thanks Mike. Ordered, and my invoice now shows it was added to my WA7tp order.

May 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #222 of 1,117
How do I order? Don't see it on the Woo site.

Just send $45 via PayPal (if you're in the USA) and put in the notes section that you want the 1' DC cord for the WA7tp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back