Woo Audio wa6se and headphone synergy
Dec 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #61 of 73
Hi guys,

Sorry if I'm wrong here, but I didn't want to make a new thread just for this question.

I really like a deep warm sound. With nice bass.

I'm thinking of getting the HD800 and would like to buy a great amp. Which one would be better for my preferences?

The WA6 oder the WA6SE?

Sorry guys if I sound stupid but I'm new to this whole HiFi world :)

Deep warm sound with nice bass? Sounds like you need a pair of LCD 3s :D

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #62 of 73
Would also like to highly recommend the wa6se. Be prepared to buy a bunch of tubes though.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #63 of 73
+1 on the WA6SE.  I like Woo stuff so much I just ordered a WA2 from them.  The WA6SE really warmed up my HD800's.  Really beefed up the low end.  They always had extremely accurate bass(heck, I think every frequency through these phones represents exactly how the recording was put down!), but this amp helps accentuate it.  Also, it trimmed off the highs just a tad-the HD800's are on the bright side, but not harsh, and the WA6SE got the high end right where I want it.

I also agree about the tubes.  I hate the stock tubes that come with the WA6SE, so I ordered the optional ones on Woo's site...the Sophia 274 mesh plate rectifier.....sonic heaven......

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #64 of 73
Quote:
+1 on the WA6SE.  I like Woo stuff so much I just ordered a WA2 from them.

wink.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #65 of 73
Quote:
Deep warm sound with nice bass? Sounds like you need a pair of LCD 3s
biggrin.gif

Haha, thanks! LCD-3 it is :)

Seriously, I was so focused on the HD800 that I didn't even consider anything else. I will audition the HD800 anyway just to get an idea of the sound but the choice has already been made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would also like to highly recommend the wa6se. Be prepared to buy a bunch of tubes though.

I'd really love to audition them all (wa6se and the wa2) but in Germany it's virtually impossible. So I think I'll go with the wa6se and the LCD-3 and maybe getting a HD800 afterwards as well.

Thanks for your help guys!

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #66 of 73
Haha, thanks! LCD-3 it is :)

Seriously, I was so focused on the HD800 that I didn't even consider anything else. I will audition the HD800 anyway just to get an idea of the sound but the choice has already been made.

I'd really love to audition them all (wa6se and the wa2) but in Germany it's virtually impossible. So I think I'll go with the wa6se and the LCD-3 and maybe getting a HD800 afterwards as well.

Thanks for your help guys!

I'd be happy to recommend tubes for you as well.
Don't forget about your DAC too. If its in your budget I'd recommend the PWD Mark II. Still trying to find the courage to buy one myself :cool:

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #67 of 73
Quote:
I'd be happy to recommend tubes for you as well.
Don't forget about your DAC too. If its in your budget I'd recommend the PWD Mark II. Still trying to find the courage to buy one myself
cool.gif

Thanks! I read about the Sophia Princess many times now, so that's a must have when purchasing the wa6se. Would also love to hear your ideas on the tubes.

I'm planning on purchasing everything together next year between January and March.

The PWD Mark II looks like a hell of a beast, but that's a little bit out of my budget :)

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #68 of 73
Thanks! I read about the Sophia Princess many times now, so that's a must have when purchasing the wa6se. Would also love to hear your ideas on the tubes.

I'm planning on purchasing everything together next year between January and March.

The PWD Mark II looks like a hell of a beast, but that's a little bit out of my budget :)

The Sophia is nice but I prefer the emission labs 5u4g. It has better synergy with all my tubes.
Also I haven't removed my sylvanias since I put them in. Woo sells them with the Teflon adapters under the wa6se product page. They do however create a static every hour or so for 5-10 seconds which creates an audible buzz.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #69 of 73
Quote:
The Sophia is nice but I prefer the emission labs 5u4g. It has better synergy with all my tubes.
Also I haven't removed my sylvanias since I put them in. Woo sells them with the Teflon adapters under the wa6se product page. They do however create a static every hour or so for 5-10 seconds which creates an audible buzz.

Thanks!

I looked for the 5u4g's but I couldn't find them for purchase. I only found a pdf description about them on the page of the wa6se. Seems he now sells different tubes with the Teflon adapters.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #71 of 73
Thanks!

I looked for the 5u4g's but I couldn't find them for purchase. I only found a pdf description about them on the page of the wa6se. Seems he now sells different tubes with the Teflon adapters.

Hmm. They're comonly called EML 5u4g. Try to google it. I doubt woo sells them.
The tubes I was talking about that have the adapters are the 6GL7/6EM7.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #72 of 73
Be prepared though because once you start tube rolling you will be buying a while bunch of tubes. Personally I like being able to tweak my setup and get optimal performance for my headphones.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #73 of 73
i've always been curious about the EML's sound. some ppl like it, some don't. 

seems ever since the 596 came around, the EML's have basically been forgotten

Users who are viewing this thread

Back