Woo Audio wa6se and headphone synergy
Jun 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

therapheee

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody !

I just order 2 week ago my new Wa6se and i feel really confused about which headphone i need to choose with it .
I really want to have your advise. I'm really interested by the Sennheiser hd800 or beyerdynamic T1 (more because their are made in europa and i live in Swisserland) but maybe you can give me more advise for a better synergy ?

Kings regards !

My stuff : Logitech squeezbox touch -> lavry da11 -> Woo Wa6se -> HD650 with kimber cable

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 73
Quote:
Hello everybody !

I just order 2 week ago my new Wa6se and i feel really confused about which headphone i need to choose with it .
I really want to have your advise. I'm really interested by the Sennheiser hd800 or beyerdynamic T1 (more because their are made in europa and i live in Swisserland) but maybe you can give me more advise for a better synergy ?

Kings regards !

My stuff : Logitech squeezbox touch -> lavry da11 -> Woo Wa6se -> HD650 with kimber cable

In my experience with the WA6 SEm... I find it mates well with most high and low impedance phones.  I find it mates especially well with Senns, but is also great with all my low impedance phones.  It's pretty versatile.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 73
The HD800 is excellent with the WA6SE, but I've found that it's entirely tube dependent. 

It's also one of those rare amps that I find that works well with almost any headphones. I've yet to hear a headphone that sounds bad on it (barring IEM's and such)

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 73
Quote:
The HD800 is excellent with the WA6SE, but I've found that it's entirely tube dependent. 

It's also one of those rare amps that I find that works well with almost any headphones. I've yet to hear a headphone that sounds bad on it (barring IEM's and such)

I second that the HD800 is well matched with WA6SE.

But jc9394 has stated that his JH13pro works very well with his WA22 without any hiss or hum, just sounded wonderful.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 73
Quote:
Ok so senn is well and what about hd800?

What is important is how the impedance of the amp matches the impedance of the phones, and how much voltage the amp produces to drive high impedance phones, or current it produces to drive low impedance phones.  Most Senns, including the HD800, are considered high impedance phones at 300 ohms (though not as high impedance as many Beyers).  The impedance of the WA6 SE matches the 300 ohm impedance and voltage requirements of most Senns (including the HD800).  Beyond the importance of impedance matching - you can "EQ" the WA6 SE to your preference with such phones via tube and cable swapping.  

However, such "fine tuning" will not necessarily produce the bass emphasis some may want from the HD800's, or temper the highs as much as some may want.  That's not a matter of system matching, so much as it is, inherent in the sonic qualities of any particular set of phones.  In other words, once you have matched the impedance and voltage requirements, or current requirements of any particular set of phones, don't expect too alter the sound of the phones a great deal, except via some form of "EQing" (i.e.  EQ, tubes, cables, etc.).

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 73
Quote:

I second that the HD800 is well matched with WA6SE.

But jc9394 has stated that his JH13pro works very well with his WA22 without any hiss or hum, just sounded wonderful.

third here. 

the WA2 is a better opetion for T1 and HD 800, but the WA6-SE drives them very well without any problems. senns and grado as well as akgs seem to have the best synergy with the HD 800, but anything sounds good out of it. 

Quote:

+1. i think ultrasones could sound better out of solid states, but ultrasones are weird already lol,, they need the most neutral amp possible i think to sound their best.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 73
Quote by Dubstep Girl:
the WA2 is a better opetion for T1 and HD 800, but the WA6-SE drives them very well without any problems. senns and grado as well as akgs seem to have the best synergy with the HD 800, but anything sounds good out of it. 

Thx ! So now i regret a little bit to have choose the Wa6se amp. Does the Wa6se   is  better than wa2 with other headphones ?

If i understand about what i have read on forums, the wa6se sound more bright and wa2 more deep and warm ? So i need to focus  more on deep and dark sounding headphone for find the better synergy with my wa6se ? I mean  if i really want to find the perfection :)

Thx !

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 73
the WA6-SE is brighter than the WA2, but i wouldn't consider it a bright amp. and yes, and yes, dark sounding headphones pair better with the WA6-SE, but the WA6-SE works well with almost anything. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 73
Quote:
the WA6-SE is brighter than the WA2, but i wouldn't consider it a bright amp. and yes, and yes, dark sounding headphones pair better with the WA6-SE, but the WA6-SE works well with almost anything. 

Why not tube rolling to tune the WA6SE sounds darker, I remember when I owned the WA6SE. Different tubes combo do sound brighter and others sound darker but sorry I don't recall what exactly the combination are since it's gone for quite a long time. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 73
Really interesting to know !!! I have order the sophia princess with Option 1 power tube from woo audio site but im really interessed to know about wich tube improving the synergy between wa6se and hd800.

Thx you
Everybody for your nice help

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 73
Quote:
Really interesting to know !!! I have order the sophia princess with Option 1 power tube from woo audio site but im really interessed to know about wich tube improving the synergy between wa6se and hd800.
Thx you

I'm sure you can find a lot of information about tube rolling of the WA6SE in this THREAD but you may need a bit of patient.
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 73
Quote:
I have WA6-SE with LCD-2 and RS1i, and the result is good with both headphones.

+1 

i use both headphones and they both sound great out of the WA-SE.

Quote:
Thx you

i currently use the Sophia princess and the raytheon 6ew7 (like option 3 or 4 on the list), and am quite satisfied with the sound i get from my amp. 

hd 800s sound great and never bright with the combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back